Can't see the wood for the trees... Ginny

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't this the pony your bought for your child to event on that actually failed the vetting - but you went ahead and bought anyway? A huge gamble to buy without a vetting, but even more so when the pony clearly wasn't fit for purpose and the vetting had to be aborted. Such a sad outcome for the poor pony and a tragedy it ever fell into the hands of the dealer and ended up in a competing home it clearly would never be fit for. Very sad for all concerned in instances like this where there is every possibility in a less demanding environment the outcome may have been very different.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
They are the people who I was scared would attack me on this thread when I first posted!!! Hence my anxiety about posting anything in the first place. But I am glad there are enough people on this forum who will see trolling for the horrible thing it is and call it out. Thank-you. I cannot begin tell you how much that means to me.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Oh my apologies I recollected reading elsewhere that she had refused the vet anywhere near her hinds and the vet had been unable to perform a full 5 stage with flexions, but obviously that didnt happen then and I must have misunderstood what I read?

Those criticizing my post and accusing me of being a troll...where have I said anything even remotely kicking the OP when they are down??? I have just stated clearly that it is a very sad outcome for all concerned, but most of all for the poor pony that has my utmost sympathy and might well have had a different outcome under different circumstances? What is the problem with posting my genuine thoughts and sympathy on the very sad case of this young pony.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
In my defence I have to say I have been a long time member on here since 2009 and have never once been accused of 'trolling'! I have no idea who 'they' are that OP refers to but please do not drag me into some obscure drama about matters that have absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on the pony's ultimate and untimely demise.

Surbie

Visit site
IMO there's only one person on this thread who jumped to fairly 'interesting' conclusions and then one who made a mistake in their information.

I can understand the concern about being trolled but I think most people understand the lengths you've gone to to try and sort things out for Ginny. I'm very new to having a horse, but I've had animals in the past and would like to think I am fairly level-headed. I certainly wouldn't blame you for going the PTS route given how much you've tried.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
has this pony been on the PSSM management regime, what level of vit e has she had?

She has Vit E added via her Forage Plus Winter Balancer. She's been on that since the beginning of October.
https://forageplus.co.uk/product-category/winter-balancers/

I don't know about PSSM as I have never had a PSSM horse but she is on Pink Mash and balancer which is very low sugar. She has had extended periods in the past just on forage.

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
Who are these horrible trolls? AE, don't worry about them, we regulars know how much effort you put into all your horses.
ETA sorry about the random FB post that showed up before!

Excuse you but I’m not a troll :rolleyes: I lurk
More than I post as I’m not doing anything really worth posting. I enjoy reading people’s exploits more than I like talking about my own. Just because I don’t post much doesn’t mean I’m any less a regular than those who post about every single fart they take in a day.

The op is constantly posting about her horses and her Girls ponies etc etc I offered a comment based on my own experience of turning away and long term broken horses, the op clearly has issues with other poster if she felt she had to bring it up, and by another persons comments above is clearly posting elsewhere and and has issues there as well. It is a forum people will offer opinions others don’t like, doesn’t mean they are trolling as I can’t see anything wrong with what anyone has posted. Maybe the OP has done something or had a set to, to feel the way they do but as I don’t know anything about it I have no opinion one way or the other.

Do what you want OP it’s your horse and you have to live with the decisions you make.

paddy555

Visit site
AE, several of the comments in your original post suggest the possibility of PSSM being worth considering. Mine had many similar symptoms. It just seemed impossible that a horse who was really good one day could be hopeless the next. I found vets hopeless at even thinking about the possibility of PSSM. Mine ended up in horse hospital and still no one even mentioned it. When it came to crunch time with my horse on the floor our vet never even suggested it. It was up to me to research it and resolve it. The difference once resolved was remarkable. We had very few bad days and a just about normal horse as we worked through it. Now 6 years later he is a normal riding horse.

the first line of attack is high dose natural vit e. The amount in FB balancers and indeed any supplement is limited and insufficient for this condition. They need around 10000iu per day at least to start with. I suspect the amount in the FP is around 2500iu. There are a lot of posts on this forum about PSSM so it may be worth a search if you are not familiar with it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thank-you MP. That is so reassuring and helpful to read. I won't bore everyone with my entire horsey life history any more and will try to stop feeling defensive!

You have no need to feel defensive, you have spent a lot of time and money trying to find out what is wrong with Ginny and now that it seems that you have exhausted the vet's repertoire, you have come on here to ask for other ideas/experiences - and you've been given some ideas to try. This place is a fabulous resource for that kind of thing.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agree with paddy555. IIRC there are 2000iu of vit E in FP winter balancer (which I use too). I bumped the vit E up to 10,000iu per day in a last ditch attempt to help my IDx mare, who I was on the verge of returning to her breeder as she had become so cross and unhappy. She was transformed for the better within days. I can manage her PSSM reasonably well now.
ETA I'd known that something was wrong with her, but I and my vet couldn't figure out what. It was reading on here about PSSM and vit E that helped me to help her.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Oh my apologies I recollected reading elsewhere that she had refused the vet anywhere near her hinds and the vet had been unable to perform a full 5 stage with flexions, but obviously that didnt happen then and I must have misunderstood what I read?

Those criticizing my post and accusing me of being a troll...where have I said anything even remotely kicking the OP when they are down??? I have just stated clearly that it is a very sad outcome for all concerned, but most of all for the poor pony that has my utmost sympathy and might well have had a different outcome under different circumstances? What is the problem with posting my genuine thoughts and sympathy on the very sad case of this young pony.

You read that and just happened to remember it after all this time, and suddenly decided to post today, on this thread in that manner? do me a favour and crawl back under whatever rock you came out from

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
You read that and just happened to remember it after all this time, and suddenly decided to post today, on this thread in that manner? do me a favour and crawl back under whatever rock you came out from

Really??? It would seem that if one doesn't spend half one's life posting on here about every minor detail and occurrence in their horse related life then one is considered a troll and thereby fair game for anyone who cares to take a pop at them when a long time lurker actually post their opinion on a thread that is of great interest to them? Oh but silly me - it would seem my opinion isn't that of the majority who seem to hang onto the OP's coat tails so therefore I must be a troll?Interesting and rathera a tunnel vision way of viewing opinions that might differ from your own?

I can assure you that I did not just 'read this post and suddenly remember after all this time' at all - I follow many threads that interest me on this forum and elsewhere. I have followed OP's issues with this pony for sometime - here and elsewhere and do so with many threads on here. I have apologised to the OP if I misunderstood her posts elsewhere saying this pony had never passed a 5 star vetting to be used as a competition pony.......but lets just not go there as I really dont want to be copy and posting from elsewhere a completely different version of events concerning this pony and others on the internet as that would really not be nice at all would it, and I am sure against forum rules and regs.

Thank you for your intelligent and well informed assessment of my intentions and thoughts on this thread. Your rather less than articulate and accurate opinion of my posts I shall have to learn to live with.

Nari

Visit site

@MrsJingle I've also seen posts elsewhere where she's said the vet had been unable to perform flexions, you aren't mistaken & haven't misunderstood.

No I'm not a troll or picking on @Ambers Echo , but if people post on various forums they shouldn't be surprised that people read & remember those posts. I particularly remember ones where the impression given on different forums varies because of what is said or withheld, I find it rather amusing & follow with interest.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
@MrsJingle I've also seen posts elsewhere where she's said the vet had been unable to perform flexions, you aren't mistaken & haven't misunderstood.

No I'm not a troll or picking on @Ambers Echo , but if people post on various forums they shouldn't be surprised that people read & remember those posts. I particularly remember ones where the impression given on different forums varies because of what is said or withheld, I find it rather amusing & follow with interest.
Thank you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think there's any need to go OTT about people hanging off OP's coat tails... :rolleyes:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't this the pony your bought for your child to event on that actually failed the vetting - but you went ahead and bought anyway? A huge gamble to buy without a vetting, but even more so when the pony clearly wasn't fit for purpose and the vetting had to be aborted. Such a sad outcome for the poor pony and a tragedy it ever fell into the hands of the dealer and ended up in a competing home it clearly would never be fit for. Very sad for all concerned in instances like this where there is every possibility in a less demanding environment the outcome may have been very different.

I've highlighted the bit that made me say you were kicking AE when she was down, everyone can appreciate that it's sad that they are all in this position, it's bloomin sad for AE and her children too. but there's no need to rub salt in the wound when the OP has been moving mountains trying to resolve the pony's issues. if there's something fundamentally wrong with the pony (which it sounds like) then IMO there's "every possibility" that it might have still had that problem even in a less demanding home, as you put it, but perhaps undetected because no one was looking that closely? Perhaps this, perhaps that, not much point speculating, can't turn the clock back after all.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site

I did not bother clarifying the issue Mrs Jingles was pretending to be confused about because I and she know full well I have explained the vetting issue before.

The post I made on another forum was this one:

"She was 5 stage vetted by an independent vet and passed fit for eventing. Vet was unable to perform hind flexions due to her behaviour but vet rang me and said she was a young horse and she was unconcerned about that. Vet also said she was unfit and unmuscled but again she was unconcerned".

The response was basically 'dodgy vet' so trying to explain got me nowhere and I am not wasting my time anymore.

I am so sorry this thread has taken this sort of a turn. I am even more sorry that the kind of bullshit I was tryingt to escape from when I left one forum to try and spend time on another has now followed me here involving exactly the same people. Especially on a thread like this.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Ok - just to clarify I wont be responding to anymore posts as this really is now descending into rather a witch hunt and bullying expedition by you people who are apparently so adept at routing out 'trolls' and have so much more rock solid information on the OP's pony and its issues that I am not privvy to via her postings here and elsewhere. My bad if I felt it was useful to add an alternative insight to the whole debacle. Might I suggest a little self introspection from those of you so happy to steam in to the affray and throwing accusations around could be a more worthwhile way to spend your time?

paddy555

Visit site
Please, I don't understand some of the latter comments but per the final para of AE's last post I am sorry this has taken a turn for the worse.
I don't know who is right, who is wrong, who is a troll or anything else.

We seem to have a situation of a problem pony and someone trying to get info to help. That is surely all that matters.

Nari

Visit site
I did not bother clarifying the issue Mrs Jingles was pretending to be confused about because I and she know full well I have explained the vetting issue before.

The post I made on another forum was this one:
t
"She was 5 stage vetted by an independent vet and passed fit for eventing. Vet was unable to perform hind flexions due to her behaviour but vet rang me and said she was a young horse and she was unconcerned about that. Vet also said she was unfit and unmuscled but again she was unconcerned".

The response was basically 'dodgy vet' so trying to explain got me nowhere and I am not wasting my time anymore.

I am so sorry this thread has taken this sort of a turn. I am even more sorry that the kind of bullshit I was tryingt to escape from when I left one forum to try and spend time on another has now followed me here involving exactly the same people. Especially on a thread like this.

I feel compelled to point out that I very very rarely replied to your posts elsewhere, largely because you'd act all injured innocence & then try to claim you hadn't said what you had - and it's that attitude that makes me remember your posts. At the end of the day you do what you want, and you can tell yourself whatever you like to make it easier to deal with.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Ok - just to clarify I wont be responding to anymore posts as this really is now descending into rather a witch hunt and bullying expedition by you people who are apparently so adept at routing out 'trolls' and have so much more rock solid information on the OP's pony and its issues that I am not privvy to via her postings here and elsewhere. My bad if I felt it was useful to add an alternative insight to the whole debacle. Might I suggest a little self introspection from those of you so happy to steam in to the affray and throwing accusations around could be a more worthwhile way to spend your time?

The only bullying behaviour has been from you. If you feel the AE is some sort of horse abusing liar then call on her on it publicly or leave it alone. Sly digs and insinuations in order to have a go at someone who you have followed here from somewhere else, just looks like, well it just looks like what it is is actually.

So may I suggest that for those of you who have "steamed into the affray" from elsewhere in order to "throw accusations around" it would be a more worthwhile way to spend your time if you had a little think about why you felt the need to do this. As I said previously, it was damn certainly not to benefit either the pony or AE. It wasnt providing any sort of insight at all. Nor was it relevant. Have fun with your "self introspection" ;)