Canter-trot-canter transition

Maclinda

Visit site
Quick random question. When performing a canter-trot-canter transition, how many steps would you consider to be a horses length? I'm looking at videos of dressage test and there seems to be at least 4-5 steps before change and to me that seems a very long horse!!!!!

Farma

Visit site
Quick random question. When performing a canter-trot-canter transition, how many steps would you consider to be a horses length? I'm looking at videos of dressage test and there seems to be at least 4-5 steps before change and to me that seems a very long horse!!!!!

I would count to 3 usually, always had decent marks doing it, 4-5 steps seems a bit long!

POLLDARK

Visit site
A minimum of 3 steps as you must show the trot is established before picking up the canter again. If you are new to it aim for 4 steps would be my advice, that will cut you leeway should things go wonky. Have fun.

Maclinda

Visit site
"Show the trot is established"! That's the problem she (horse) thinks one step of trot is more than enough before going back into canter! I'm main for 3! Thanks.

oldvic

Visit site
When you are training for it, have more strides so she is listening to you rather than doing her own thing. The quality of the transitions is more important than the amount of strides.