Cantering out hacking, sit deep or 2 point?

be positive

Visit site
There have been several threads recently about cantering out hacking, some horses will not stop/ slow down others having problems getting going.

I nearly always go forward when cantering out in the open using my weight to bring them back when required, just as I would when riding xc before a fence, rather than sitting down all the time as if schooling.

My horses learn that sitting up means slow down usually with little use of the rein, it enables them to relax through the back and I can go on or come back as and when I ask, I feel it is better for the horse and easier for the rider they will all go first, last or upsides without a fuss and do not anticipate cantering every time they get on grass.

Thoughts on what you do and why.

ecrozier

Visit site
Depends on the horse! My big one is quite polite so tend to go up into 2 point with him, my little one is more of a speed demon so if cantering in a group I sometimes have to sit deep to maintain control!
ETA if its relevant, big one I have had since he was 2 and he has learnt that sitting up and back means slow down, and needs little in terms of holding back. Little one, think he had learnt some bad habits before I owned him and whilst he's got much better, is inherently a lover of galloping and racing, and sometimes needs a firmed reminder. However using the rein to slow down does bog-all, its all about seat/weight aids with him. It's just sometimes safer to remain sitting and hold him into a steady canter rather than letting him get too quick!

Last edited:

SteadyNeddy1070

Visit site
Two point unless spooky at something and use sitting up and weight back to slow down. Mine is sensible and I think it is better for their backs as you would XC.

Tobiano

Visit site
oh lord! Mrs thicky here. Could someone explain why it is called 2 point please? Sorry! (btw I take a forward seat when cantering if i think it is safe to do so - do find weight aids work v well in that position as a slight shift back of the shoulders & core are a good slowing down aid).

Tobiano

Visit site
Thank you! I thought that was it, but was worrying it was something more anatomically technical to do with pelvic spines and such!

pansymouse

Visit site
My mare is very well trained (I hasten to add not by me) and knows that lifting the weight from the saddle mean go fast and bringing it back down means slow down - works a treat and so much better for all involved that hauling on her mouth to control speed. I've learnt so much from her about just how effective riding from the seat can be. I only hack (never school or compete) and can still achieve all this at warp speed across Salisbury Plain.

TwoStroke

Visit site
2 point always. Horse is a spooky booger, but I just put leg on. I spend most trot in 2 point too for practise! Other horse never stays in work long enough to make it to canter :rolleyes:.

sarahann1

Visit site
Prefer 2 point, though its been a real eye opener riding horses whose normal riders clearly don't take a 2 point seat, or who do and use it as a 'GO FAST' command, so when you do, you end up shooting off at warp speed! I'm much more careful about it now!

tessybear

Visit site
Start off sitting deep so i can really use my legs, if not she tends to not go forwards and has a broncing rodeo style thing, and then once she is going forwards i go to the two point position :)

RunToEarth

Visit site
Two point, I like to get off the horses' backs as much as possible, and I find them a lot more responsive to ride out of two point when doing fast work.

Frosty89

Visit site
2 point unless the horse is being a little spooky then I will sit. As Sarahann said, it's an eye opener when you ride a horse that isn't used to being ridden in a 2 point seat.

I also have a youngster who even in the school I will ride in 2 point as I think it's better to get off their backs a bit.

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Usually deep seat as he can be very spooky and swerves at the tiniest thing, but if I feel like he's going nicely and we aren't in a spooky place I'll go up into two point.

MissSBird

Visit site
Totally depends on what sort of canter I am trying to achieve. If I'm looking for an engaged 'schooling' canter I sit deep. If we're just having some fun, usually 2 point to encourage him to open up some more.

moodymare123

Visit site
I have to sit deep except from gallop horse is sensitive so the slightest movement of sitting forward it is just que to go quicker!

Megibo

Visit site
I have to sit to keep her as steady as possible, she's very strong out hacking in canter! (In company anyway..)

If I went into a two point seat you'd not see us for dust as to her that would just be me saying 'I'm game, go hell for leather!'
Funnily enough even my previous mare would flump along out hacking in a rocking horse canter, but if you went into a two point seat and 'click clicked' in her ear she'd find her fifth gear!

Shantara

Visit site
I never thought Ned was a subtle horse, but he really is!

if I ask for canter but sit deep, he'll go nice and steady, but if I ask for canter with a 2 point, he'll do more of a "tally ho!!" start.

I will always eventually go into 2 point, and use sitting deep to slow down.

cellie

Visit site
2 point unless the horse is being a little spooky then I will sit. As Sarahann said, it's an eye opener when you ride a horse that isn't used to being ridden in a 2 point seat.

I also have a youngster who even in the school I will ride in 2 point as I think it's better to get off their backs a bit.
I also have youngster and had my 3rd tiny canter on stubble this eve and 2 point for first time it really helped him :)

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my mare does as she wishes, but depends on what mood she's in, normally 2 point but other times she can be really spooky so I have to sit really deep! always have to be on guard for anything spooky that's for sure!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I vary it so that they do different types of canter throughout the hack, though always 2 point up an incline. I find it interesting that people sit deep when their horse is bucking or spooking - if a horse is messing about underneath me the first thing I do is get my backside out of the saddle.

be positive

Visit site
I vary it so that they do different types of canter throughout the hack, though always 2 point up an incline. I find it interesting that people sit deep when their horse is bucking or spooking - if a horse is messing about underneath me the first thing I do is get my backside out of the saddle.

Some interesting replies, ^^^ this is my view though if a horse starts bucking getting off it's back means you can avoid being shot out of the saddle so easily, provided you have a secure lower leg and good balance. Spooking usually gets the same treatment, more leg and push on so they move forward, I find it easier to hold a strong horse by staying off the back and bridging the reins to hold them, let them pull against themselves rather than me.

Mo-Jo

Visit site
Once the canter's established and she's cooperating I go two-point and bridge my reins in case she stumbles and I'm thrown forwards.