Car collides with Romany caravan and horse in Wiltshire

_MizElz_

Visit site
No news yet on whether the horse survived, but it didn't look good. I went out to do my horse at ten to four, and as we were driving up the hill, we passed a Romany caravan and a sweet little chestnut pony. Mum and I even said to each other what a lovely day for it; the family looked so content and happy. I remember when we passed them (going in the opposite direction) that there were two cars about to swing out to overtake, who then had to duck back in to avoid the traffic coming up the hill.

When we returned half an hour later, the road was completely closed from the top of the hill to the bottom; the horse had been hit by a car just seconds after we went through. I still feel sick now; the air ambulance was flown in, and reports said that the horse would probably be put down due to the severity of its injuries; one person was taken to hospital with minor injuries. That poor, poor horse - and the poor family. It' been on my mind all evening; why are people such a***holes on the road? :mad: :(

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/9869428.Horse_seriously_injured_in_Cherhill_collision/

Cahill

Visit site
hope they are ok.
we passed some on sunday who were parked up in a lane and putting the kettle on.
my dog had his head out the window and we were going slow because of the tethered ponies.
we gave each other a cheery wave.
i really hope they are alright.

_MizElz_

Visit site
So what's happened with the driver I wonder... How can you fail to see such a large and unusual group on the road:confused:

Goodness knows; we actually rang to give information about what we had seen (as we now know that the accident happened literally seconds after we drove past). The police said they were very interested in what we had to say, but never rang back... :confused:

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Goodness knows; we actually rang to give information about what we had seen (as we now know that the accident happened literally seconds after we drove past). The police said they were very interested in what we had to say, but never rang back... :confused:

That sounds just like our police force:mad::mad:

Toffee44

Visit site
So what's happened with the driver I wonder... How can you fail to see such a large and unusual group on the road:confused:

I have been out driving on B roads to meet up with people and two were in their caravans (gypsys taught be to drive and help break my old cob to harness) and me and a friend were in wagonettes. Its surprising that even on a straight good visibility road the amount of people who don't see you and end up right behind you. We all had a hiviz vest/ sheet on the back of each caravan/ wagonette. Some people just don't see.

Rollin

Visit site
I am so sad to read this horrible story.

When I was just 16 my parents made friends with a Gypsy couple, complete with Romany Caravan, who were a devoted and hard working family. Their horse too, was injured in a road accident but survived.

I would love to see the laws in Europe as a whole changed to deal with motorists who threaten us every time we take our horses on the road.

Huge amounts of money have been poured into a national cycle network, why is it that riding and driving, enjoyed by women and children has so little in the way of protection.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Poor pony :(

Glad to see the locals helping out, I think that would happen everywhere, despite people's feelings they do rally round in times of need :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Heard about this the other day - dad had been out to do some work for the hippies as he calls this lot ;) (he's a farrier). Apparently the driver was an 80+ year old chap, does make you question whether he was safe to be out on the road.

And yes, some 80+ drivers are safe... others are just plain scary!

Mrjacks0n

Visit site
news story was lovely to read, sad about their pony but how nice that all villagers came and rallied shame the coming together doesnt happen more, they get a rough deal and they are not all bad.