Careers and horses

toppedoff

Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?
To picture the scene, I'm currently 17 doing Animal Management in college and I don't enjoy it one bit unfortunately, I'm just not interested and don't have any interest in doing a higher level qualification within the sector.

I did have a 'magic sparks' moment and that was when I fell in love with horse racing sector after finding a job online in that area and would like to attend the BRS (Advised by the person who was advertising the role after I contacted them) maybe after the college year. So far, I have thrown myself into twitter to "network" and surprisingly, it has worked well and I speak to racing people of all kinds of roles on the regular in a variety of roles and who I can go to if I have a question regarding the careers, how things work and how it works ect. Issue is though, I don't know if I want to pursue a career in it or with horses at all and if I just want to enjoy horse ownership instead rather than worry about other horses (I hope that doesn't sound rude.. and no, no one has put me off! It's just me having a real hard time knowing what I want to do in life)

I was wondering if anyone may of had this before of working with horses to a non horsey job or had considered doing an equine job but decided differently as a way to fund their hobbies? How did you choose it exactly.. I really don't know what I want to do for myself. Was this a long thought process for you or did you have a plan in mind? Or even found yourself dabbling in all sorts of workplaces?

Thank you so much. I really wouldn't come to places like this for career stuff but maybe someone has done the same - I don't doubt it. Unfortunately there is alot of pressure to know exactly what you want to do.. I feel im the only one who is clueless and frankly college classmates think its odd I still don't have a clue lol!

Equi

Visit site
Pfffft I didn’t know what I wanted to do at 17! You’re young. You’ll do stuff and change your mind. Do whatever it is you fancy doing right now, then you won’t have any lingering “what if I had done this….” You may hate working with horses, then that’s that settled and you’ll look into non-horse jobs. Don’t let anyone pressure you into know what to do for the rest of your life when you have only barely begun to live it.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm relieved I didn't work with horses. When I left school, the deal was I went to college to get "back up" qualifications, and at the time I wanted to be a vet

This then faded as I saw how high grades needed to be in subjects I wasn't interested in, and the length of study at university I didn't want to do

Never wanted to go to university, and the lack of money in horses put me right off (not that I've ever been in a high flying well paid role, but always more than I'd get with most direct horsey roles)

I wanted to keep it as a hobby

Many years down the line I've completely lost interest in horses and don't even ride or have contact with them anymore so I'm relieved for my "boring" office job

If you're interested in racing, how about an office based role e.g. admin/secretary etc?

Personally I'd say keep it as a hobby and look for a non horsey job! I still don't know exactly what I want to do and am nearly double your age! The only slight twang I get is I half wished I'd looked into forensics, but I don't think I'd have had the levels of chemistry they need as it was the weakest science for me. And also I don't think I'd want the unsociable hours

maggiestar

Visit site
Hi OP, I can sympathise with your dillemma because I was going through similar thought processes when I was 17. I spent some time working as a groom (no qualifications) and found it unrelentingly hard work with very low pay and very little time off. It's a job that gets harder as you get older so longevity is something to bear in mind. Ultimately I found it more satisfying to build a career outside horses and to have lessons or a share/ownership as and when possible. Personally horses became less charming the more I had to 'work' with them. 6:00 on a winter's morning is no fun!

sassandbells

Visit site
I did it a bit differently, I went to uni and then went to work on an eventing yard straight afterwards (degree went out the window). I lasted a year but it wasn’t feasible long term, I had my own horses and they became a chore - and the work on the yard although brilliant at times was incredibly challenging and gruelling at points. Not to mention we did 6 days a week and the pay was appalling, I’m so glad I didn’t have any major vet bills as I had about £20 a week left over after paying for everything.

Then got myself an office job, it’s alright, I don’t hate it and it funds my horses and lifestyle. I have found far more enjoyment in having my own since I changed career paths. That being said, I wouldn’t change the year I did on the yard for anything, it taught me a heck of a lot and has made me realise that working with horses along with having my own isn’t something I want to do.

Since then I’ve had various yard jobs on the weekends but couldn’t ever really commit as it just made horses feel like a chore again. I now have a weekend job working on a farm looking after the calves which I absolutely love and I get so much enjoyment between that and my horses.

Theres absolutely no harm in going for it and if you change your mind later on you can still pursue that pathway, if it’s something you’re interested in then definitely give it a go!

follysienna

Visit site
I went to uni, got the non horsey job. Admittedly I do enjoy my job, and find it interesting. It also pays for my ponies, box hire and shows. However, I am becoming increasingly envious of the people I have out to my horses - the farrier, the physio, the chiro etc, for being able to choose their own hours, work around their own horses and being around other horses. I am 28 and part of me wishes I had gone into something like that. You can always change career paths though if you don't enjoy something. I think it's good to try different things. You could always go to some open days at racing yards, chat to different people in person and see how it makes you feel?

Maxidoodle

Visit site
I’m 50 OP and I still don’t really know what I want to do. I would suggest trying a few things and keeping an open mind about what you want to do. I think you’ll find a job outside of horses will give you more money and allow you to enjoy horses as a hobby far better, as most horse related jobs seem to be quite low paid.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have not seen that the college animal management courses local to us are inspiring TBH.

Do you have a GCSE in Maths and English? For many, many jobs you need 5 GCSEs, including maths and English. If you don't have, the maths and English can often be obtained for free. There are then many free courses such as business admin, a whole raft of them, they are done at home on a computer and lets employers know you are a self starter and can stay on task.

Once you have those basic qualifications, then I would have some fun and just do various jobs. The jobs market is screaming out for people at the moment. Have a go at an office job, work in a shop, work in the public sector. At 18, I did a year where I ran 3 part time jobs together, for variety (and it gave me time to play with horses). If you aren't sure, have a grooms job too. Or, work in a tack shop. For a year or two, don't even decide what you want to do, just throw yourself into work and learn to be a good employee.

After that, it will likely all become clearer.

Jenko109

Visit site
If you dont want to go to university, then get a job in a sector that you can climb the ranks without the need for a degree.

A basic customer service type role in banking would work to get your foot in the door. Or you could work towards something like NATS.

An office role will save your body too. Plus most are now doing hybrid working models so you can do some working from home.

Peglo

Visit site
I had a job that wasn’t horse related but I was so exhausted and fed up at the end of the day my horses became a chore. So it’s not just horse related jobs that can do it. This job was ‘perfect for me’ too but I was miserable even at the weekends thinking about having to go back on Monday.

I agree with above. If you fancy it, do it. If it doesn’t suit you you can look for a new job. You’ll never know unless you try.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I went into horses after college, alongside my own. I hated it, mine became a chore to do.
I then moved to office work, which allowed me to enjoy my own again

w1bbler

Visit site
A friend of mine went to BRS,. Ultimately she had loads of fun & doesnt regret doing it, but now has a totally non horse related career.
At a similar age I worked for a bit & then went travelling.
At 17 neither of us had a clue what we wanted to do as a career. Get some life skills, enjoy yourself, don't get hung up on what you are going to do for the rest of your life.

humblepie

Visit site
Echo the others re the BRS. Lots of opportunities in racing both hands on horse and administrative/industry and lots of yards pay well plus prize money share and other benefits.

Esmae

Visit site
From an old lady who used to be where you are now. If you are not enjoying it, go do something else. You are young enough to change direction. I have had this conversation with my grand daughter. If working with horses is your dream follow that dream, if it is getting you down now, then it will on a wet Monday morning when you know that your salary won't compensate for being bored and soaked and exhausted. If you decide to follow the horse career then have a plan B. Some qualification that can earn you a living away from horses if you need to do that. I followed my dream and did horses for a living. Now I have arthritis in various parts of my body and a minimal pension. Would I follow the same path again? Probably not. Feeling as you do, look for something else to do and keep your horses for a hobby. Good luck love, you are at the beginning of an amazing journey, enjoy it for all it's worth, you won't get another go around. Here endeth the lesson from Granny.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m very glad I didn’t go into either horses or veterinary work (although I’d love to have a hobby job in the area!).

That said, if you are going into horses then the racing industry has all sorts of opportunities and regulation.

Definitely consider BRS. There is also the national stud as well.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Well I am the opposite of everyone else . I wanted to work with horses and was put off by my parents who were not well off and said they wouldn’t be able to help me out money wise so they suggested I worked in an office job to build up some money . I worked in banking and did horses in my spare time, but as time went on my job got more and more demanding and I did a lot less with my own horse . I had a breakdown when I was in my fifties and ended up taking early retirement when I was 55 and worked with horses for the next 5 years and absolutely loved it even though it was physically hard at my age, so I wish I had done the horsey job first to decide if I really wanted to do it for my whole career.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
And my career 'journey' would be one that makes it clear that you don't need to choose -

I took my GCSEs and A Levels and got top grades, moved to London whilst having a gap year as had a place to study music at Uni.

Ended up getting an internship and then a full time job in marketing in the music industry when in London. Also did some freelance journalist work. Whilst I was interning I also worked in clothes shops, at music venues and I taught at a London riding school one day at the weekends.

Never actually went to uni....

Stuck out the marketing job for several years, but got made redundant and had a bit of an itch I needed to scratch for trying some work with horses - had probably burnt myself out a bit with the high pressure/high profile marketing work. So I went and worked at racing yards - worked for about 7/8 years in hands-on roles, riding out, work riding, doing breakers, driving horses to the races. Started in Epsom and moved to Newmarket. Did a foundation degree in the Horseracing industry whilst doing these jobs. Spent a year working as a vet's assistant (with lots of riding!) at a very well known veterinary hospital. Worked as a PA for a racehorse trainer and ended up doing large amounts of marketing type work for them whilst I was there as well as continuing to ride out.

Realised it was time to earn more money again in order to fund my eventing habits, so managed to pick up a role working in marketing/comms for a horseracing related charity. Did that for 3 or so years, and then moved into a marketing/comms role in the civil service, where I've gone for a few promotions and now manage my own small team.

I still don't know what I want to do... but at least I know there are always lots of pathways, and not always in predictable directions!

Hackback

Visit site
I went to uni, got the non horsey job. Admittedly I do enjoy my job, and find it interesting. It also pays for my ponies, box hire and shows. However, I am becoming increasingly envious of the people I have out to my horses - the farrier, the physio, the chiro etc, for being able to choose their own hours, work around their own horses and being around other horses. I am 28 and part of me wishes I had gone into something like that. You can always change career paths though if you don't enjoy something. I think it's good to try different things. You could always go to some open days at racing yards, chat to different people in person and see how it makes you feel?
The professionals I deal with are so busy they don't really get to choose their working hours, they struggle to fit all their clients in. Working at least 6 days a week and holidays require a level of organisation that would be beyond me.

I'm another that would urge you to do what you enjoy for now OP. However I am also glad that horses are my hobby not my livelihood. Aside from the fact that equestrian jobs tend to be hard work and low paid, I like my horses to be my break from work.

If I didn't want my own horses (and I was 40 years younger!) I would love a job on a racing yard, even if it was just mucking out and sweeping up.

outdoor girl

Visit site
I always wanted to teach - anything. I just love teaching so I went on to take my BHSAI. Then I got engaged and decided that I needed a 'proper' job so I went to secretarial college and did shorthand and typing (you can tell how old I am)!!!! I spent all my days staring out of the window wishing I was outside. I did go and work in an office and lasted about 6 months, but working with horses was all I really wanted to do. I have absolutely no regrets about the poor pay, disgusting weather conditions I worked in, the hard physical work and the very, very long hours. I even managed to have my own horse and enjoy her as well. I had a ball, but admit it's not everyone's cup of tea. Don't make any long term commitments, try a few different options, you're young enough, and then decide which way you want to go. What ever you do decide, remember that you can always change your mind. Life's too short to spend your working time being miserable.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
You could always train for something now and retrain for horsey things as a hobby?
I know some people who went into horses very young and are now fed up and completely out of them and incidentally never ever had their own as they just didnt have time.
I love my job and it pays for my horsey! 😁

Annagain

Visit site
I started my 'career' (it was just a job to begin with, 23 years later I'm still there) in the civil service when I was 22. Most people starting out, were about that age. From a purely financial sense, you need 35 years of national insurance contributions to qualify for the full state pension. You have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do.

I'd go the the BRS if I were you but don't worry too much about the future for now. Go, have fun, meet new people and make new friends. If you don't like it at the end, you'll still only be 18/19 and still younger than most people who have been to uni. If you decide you do want to go to uni after that, you'll still be the same age as those who have taken a year out so won't have lost much time.

Horses were never a career option for me and I'm really glad they're my hobby and escape from the real world. My job is pretty flexible (I started at 11 today as the boys had their teeth done this morning) so even thought it's an 'office' (mostly at home since covid) job I can make it fit with the horses. I don't love it passionately but it's fine and it pays the bills. Even in my field (PR / marketing / public engagement/ behavioural science) there have been opportunities to work in the horse industry. I applied for a job with the BHS once and got an interview but decided against going to it at the last minute as it was working from home - at the time I was young, living alone and had a good social life based around my work colleagues and I decided that was more important. A bit later in my career, I also was asked to apply for a job with a horse charity but they couldn't match the money I was on or the benefits / pension so I didn't.

No matter what you do, there will be opportunities involving horses if you want them. They might be harder to come by than those directly related but they're out there. You have plenty of time to decide. Do what suits you for now, you've got a good 5 or 6 years before you need to think properly about the long term - and even then changing career later on in life isn't impossible.

Love

Visit site
Absolutely no harm in giving it a go. I would however recommend sticking out the college course if you can and if you are still there - although it may not be entirely 'relevant' if you change career path, it will still act as a useful stepping stone. Some HE courses and jobs require some form of college qualification/BTEC/A levels etc even if they aren't in the same area. Would save you time in the future having to go back and complete college. Hope that makes sense!

Widgeon

Visit site
Once you have those basic qualifications, then I would have some fun and just do various jobs. The jobs market is screaming out for people at the moment. Have a go at an office job, work in a shop, work in the public sector. At 18, I did a year where I ran 3 part time jobs together, for variety (and it gave me time to play with horses). If you aren't sure, have a grooms job too. Or, work in a tack shop. For a year or two, don't even decide what you want to do, just throw yourself into work and learn to be a good employee.

If you don't mind uninspiring pay there are lots of veterinary admin jobs that would give you experience of office work while also utilizing your interest in animals.

toppedoff

Visit site
I'm relieved I didn't work with horses. When I left school, the deal was I went to college to get "back up" qualifications, and at the time I wanted to be a vet

This then faded as I saw how high grades needed to be in subjects I wasn't interested in, and the length of study at university I didn't want to do

Never wanted to go to university, and the lack of money in horses put me right off (not that I've ever been in a high flying well paid role, but always more than I'd get with most direct horsey roles)

I wanted to keep it as a hobby

Many years down the line I've completely lost interest in horses and don't even ride or have contact with them anymore so I'm relieved for my "boring" office job

If you're interested in racing, how about an office based role e.g. admin/secretary etc?

Personally I'd say keep it as a hobby and look for a non horsey job! I still don't know exactly what I want to do and am nearly double your age! The only slight twang I get is I half wished I'd looked into forensics, but I don't think I'd have had the levels of chemistry they need as it was the weakest science for me. And also I don't think I'd want the unsociable hours
Why I did animal management! I wanted to pursue a vet, rehab or similar career but I have simply lost alot of interest. Good on me for pursuing a level 2 (1 year) rather than level 3 (2 year)!

I will definitely have a look at the racing secretary role, I see the BRS have a mini course for it too which is perfect so I'll absolutely look into that

Thank you so much!

toppedoff

Visit site
I have not seen that the college animal management courses local to us are inspiring TBH.

Do you have a GCSE in Maths and English? For many, many jobs you need 5 GCSEs, including maths and English. If you don't have, the maths and English can often be obtained for free. There are then many free courses such as business admin, a whole raft of them, they are done at home on a computer and lets employers know you are a self starter and can stay on task.

After that, it will likely all become clearer.
I honestly couldn't tell you what I have learnt during the course 🤦‍♀️

I'll look into this also, alot of people have said office job too - I guess that's why alot of horsey people are cooperate business folks lol. Thank you so much, I think there's too much pressure on knowing what you want to in life rather than finding skills to have in life and never considered having a go at different things as it would be seen as "useless" or "time wasting"
thank you again!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I’d echo the advice that you’re still very young and you’ll probably need to be working until you’re about 70 as the retirement age keeps going up. So it really doesn’t matter if you don’t yet know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. Lots of people don’t have traditional linear careers - Google ‘squiggly careers’ to get some ideas. You’ll get valuable experience from pretty much any job you do - even if that’s ‘I hate this type of work - I’m never doing it again!’