Carousels

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Does anyone else enjoy going on these? I had the pleasure of accompanying our year 6 leavers on their treat today to a theme park. I had to go on the carousel twice.

I told my son that I'd love to be able to go on one for hours for a birthday treat. I wonder if that message will ever get back.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Me too! Must go back to being a horse obsessed child but no horse lol. Last year in Disney I dragged my partner on them at Disney & made sure I was on one of the bigger ones on the outside - I'm in my thirties now, no shame haha!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Yes went on one in Washington DC a couple of years ago on visit to my sister. My steed looks rather pained though and I think I break the 20% rule!

MNP8a8t.jpg

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I used to make sure I always accompanied my daughters when they went on any carousel. Just in case :)

Trouble is, they are teens now so me going on with them under the pretext of "keeping an eye" isn't really sounding too convincing....

TPO

Visit site
No, but there’s a ride at Blackpool called the Steeplechase, where you ride carousel style horses around a track. You’re held on by a little belt and the horse is all shiny... how people haven’t fallen off the things I don’t know! Plus it goes quite high in parts!

Ha Ha I was on that a few years ago when I took my niece down to Blackpool. I had the fear about returning a broken child to my sister, it wasn't the mellow ride for small people that I thought it would be! ha ha

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Love carousels, I can never resist them. Anyone remember Turners night club which had a carousel and Wurlitizer organ on the dance floor ? Sadly, no longer there.

scats

Visit site
Ha Ha I was on that a few years ago when I took my niece down to Blackpool. I had the fear about returning a broken child to my sister, it wasn't the mellow ride for small people that I thought it would be! ha ha

About 15 years ago, a group of us went on this ride. Me and a friend went on one horse and the other went on her own on another. The friend on her own nearly fell off- her carousel horse seemed to go absolutely flying off around the track and she was holding on for her life. She had this big bomber jacket on and a woolly hat (it was winter) and she just looked ridiculous. Me and my other friend were killing ourselves laughing at her screams.

When we got off, she had to go and have a drink and a sit down. She said she felt like she was going to slide off. I still laugh my head off when I picture her flying off down the track on this erratic plastic horse!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There's one set up on the grass, near the war memorial on the way into town, for about half the year.

Part of the time, it's a fairly simple and small one, with horses and pigs. At the moment, it's the other one, quite a bit bigger, with an upstairs section.

I've not been on one in about 35 years. The last time might have been at Chapel St Leonards; there's a photo at my mother's house with my grandmother and me on it.

scruffyponies

Visit site
For you carousel lovers, I recommend the Hollycombe Steam Collection near Liphook. They have an authentic Victorian steam-powered carousel. It's a really lovely one and once in you can go on it as many times as you want all day. :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yep love them too wanted to go on one recently but oh is boring and refused!

I used to love the one at chessington as they had various colours of horses not just greys and they looked realistic

Fransurrey

Visit site
I used to love the Blackpool one. Pretty sure it didn't used to have belts, but lovely that it's still in action! I learnt a lot about carousels from Lovejoy. In this country, they go clockwise (at least they do if they were made for the English market). I also learnt that no horse is ever the same and if you get a full set of originals, they worth an absolute fortune.

I also learnt how to determine if a Stradivarius is real and how to forge old letters. Very educational series!

Rosemary28

Visit site
I love carousels! Went to Blists Hill museum with OH a couple of weeks ago and talked him into going on their steam one with me... he loved it in the end!

joosie

Visit site
Ah phew, I thought this was going to be about those carousel pony rides with real ponies.

I always loved the carousel scene in Mary Poppins where the horses came off and they went hunting.

TPO

Visit site
Is this it?

😱😱😱

How do people not fall off that???

It was the Derby Racer carousel that we were in at Blackpool. You can see it in the background of the video in parts.

I checked but this is the only photo that I have from it with my apparently tiny niece

FB_IMG_1563051964363.jpg

Lexi_

Visit site
I had a lovely time on the carousel in Paris but I’m not sharing the photos because I’d had quite a lot of wine at lunch beforehand 😂