Casual Dressage - clothes

holeymoley

Visit site
Just checking I’m thinking along the right lines here!

A neighbouring yard is running a small dressage event. They are realtively ‘old fashioned’ and Bhs approved, also on various judges panels. On asking the dress code, they said casual but correct. Horse is to be in the correct tack. So that’s fine for me as he’s a simple snaffle type anyway. Would you wear white saddlecloth or a coloured one? Perhaps my lavendar le mieux one might be a bit garish ?. What about me? Should I wear show jodhpurs? I was thinking my nice black/navy dublin performance ones instead of the beige ones. I thought about a white plain base layer with neck(almost looks like a stock shirt), and a normal blouson/yard jacket over it. Really don’t want to be bursting out the show gear for 5 minutes.

What do you think? I think it’ll have to be white saddlecloth.

AUB

Visit site
I’d go for white saddle pad, white polos (if allowed for your class), white breeches, white shirt and a nice black, navy, brown or grey knitted sweater over. This is what I would wear for a “ride for a judge”-clinic.
And horse of course plaited!

holeymoley

Visit site
I’d go for white saddle pad, white polos (if allowed for your class), white breeches, white shirt and a nice black, navy, brown or grey knitted sweater over. This is what I would wear for a “ride for a judge”-clinic.
And horse of course plaited!

Oh god, i need to plait too?! I’ve just cleaned my tack... ?

sportsmansB

Visit site
See casual to me would mean not necessarily plaited (and I love plaiting)
I would echo beige or white jods, tidy shirt / white base layer and a gilet or fitted softshell type jacket
Similar to what I would wear unaff SJ or to a clinic with someone fancy

holeymoley

Visit site
Okay thanks. I’ll dig out the white saddlecloth.

For me i’ll wear my beige show jodhs- don’t think I have white ? had some many moons ago. Not decided between shirt and tie or the base layer yet.

Only thinking blouson jacket as it’s forecast showers, we’ve not got above 6c up here this week yet ?

Forgot the gloves, i have black or brown.

gallopingby

Visit site
Casual but correct to me means any coloured breeches and top within reason ie not an outlandish very bright colour but smart, matching ok, bridle, saddle must be clean tidy and well fitting and horse nicely groomed but not necessarily plaited.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Casual but correct would mean to me my normal riding clothes, as in coloured, with a black numnah (as that is what I usually wear). The correct part would be approved hat, gloves, riding boots or short boots and gaiters (so safe) and jodhs as opposed to jeggins. The horse would have to be in BD approved tack, no boots.

If you are unsure, email them and ask?

gallopingby

Visit site
Emailing is a good idea if you’re unsure. Nothing worse as an organiser than saying ‘informal’ making an effort to have a low key fun event, to encourage people, and then discovering everyone’s turned up in full competition gear.

Kat

Visit site
For that description I would wear beige jodhs and clean boots, a shirt and depending upon the weather a dark coloured jumper, jacket, gilet or waterproof. I would put a navy/black/brown/grey hat silk on and use a conservative saddle cloth. I probably wouldn't use white, I would go for brown or black to match my tack. My shirt might not be white either, I might wear canary, Tattersall check or blue as if I was going to put a tweed jacket on top.

Having said that if you went with polo shirt or baselayer, and saddle pad in a conservative colour (navy, black, brown, grey) you would probably be ok. Likewise if you don't want to wear white or beige jodhs dark conservative colours would probably be ok.

Definitely wear a hair net, it makes a massive difference to how smart you look.

I wouldn't plait but I would make sure the horse was trimmed appropriately and clean.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
With the saddlecloth, it doesn't have to be white under BD rules, they say white/cream or any conservative colour. I know lots of people with Greys etc who opt for a dark colour because it looks better.

I've done some online dressage where dress was casual and opted for the smarter end. My beige jods, a plain base layer and as it was winter put on my tweed jacket rather than a jacket. If it was warmer probably a shirt but with a round colour as that looks OK without a stock whereas a shirt colour looks like the tie is missing. I didn't plait but my horse has quite a fine mane which is kept trimmed.

So hedging my bets in the middle.

holeymoley

Visit site
So we had all sorts of weather- I decided on beige jodhs, white baselayer and smart navy rain coat over it. Others were in polo shirts and dark jodhs, one person was in full show gear so a mixed bag.

We managed 67% so very pleased!

Reactions: Kat