Cat litter trays

poiuytrewq

Visit site

Mr P has been given an ultimatum. We have two cats and he won’t allow them out over night so we have to have a litter tray.
It was behind the TV and I had to clean it because he “couldn’t fit round there” 🙄
So I moved it to the spare bedroom, he still never cleans it and for some reason one of the cats has started tipping it over. Also Bertie (dog) has found it and has started racing up to eat cat poo 🤢
So I’ve told him we need to sort this. I’ve requested a self cleaning one.
I know they have been discussed before and the price is shocking but seriously I’m done with it!
So can anyone reccomend one? They are on offer some places and tbh I’m happy to pay *for him to pay £300 to save this disgusting hassle.

Then I found the above! Really?

Fjord

Visit site
I have indoor/outdoor cats, but have just taken in one who uses a litter tray. Seeing how he kicks the litter everywhere, or sometimes stands up as he's going, I could only imagine the mess this would make! 🤣

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have indoor/outdoor cats, but have just taken in one who uses a litter tray. Seeing how he kicks the litter everywhere, or sometimes stands up as he's going, I could only imagine the mess this would make! 🤣
Yes! We have two cats now as Mr P found a kitten last year. The older one balances on the side of the tray to wee hence the tipping.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I can’t help with the self cleaning bit but my sister has 8 cats in overnight and also has spaniels who love cat poo. To stop them being disgusting and the cats from spreading litter everywhere she went to a charity shop and found an old cabinet big enough for a huge high sided litter tray. The type with two doors which open out, her OH then cut a hole in one of the ends and fitted a cheap cat flap, put a step against it so they could reach the flap and they love it. It doesn’t stink the place out as it’s contained, the dogs can’t get in to eat poo and it just looks like a piece of furniture.

Some dog flaps now come with a cat flap door already installed.

Sparky Lily

Visit site
We had a cat some years ago who would use the toilet occasionally. We certainly did not train her to do it, and she usually went outside. But sometimes she would go up and squat. Never flushed after use though.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have a friend who has the self cleaning trays and having seen it, I have to admit, I'm very tempted despite the price.

It has some sort of cassette tray underneath and they just remove that every now and then and it's very clean, never any smell.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
For messy cats buy a tray with a top on it, solves all the problems of kicking litter around.
Cat #2 won’t go through the flap thing. I did try.
I also just don’t want to be cleaning cat crap all the time. I’m a full on dog girl!
Mr p is the cat fan, he’s also the one that insists they come in for the night. I do get that as I lost a wild cat I tamed and really did love overnight on the road so he’s worried about that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cat #2 won’t go through the flap thing. I did try.
I also just don’t want to be cleaning cat crap all the time. I’m a full on dog girl!
Mr p is the cat fan, he’s also the one that insists they come in for the night. I do get that as I lost a wild cat I tamed and really did love overnight on the road so he’s worried about that.

Take the flap off.

if Mr P wants the cats in why are you touching the litter tray?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He’s also the
Take the flap off.

if Mr P wants the cats in why are you touching the litter tray?
Because it stinks and I can’t bear it.
I also can’t endorse the out overnight but because of how incredibly awfully my old cat died. I wouldn’t wish that on any animal. It could of course happen during the day but that wouldn’t be my fault

Nudibranch

Visit site
Life changing - top entry litter boxes. About 20 odd quid on Zooplus or Viovet.
My cat had 4 kittens recently. I was sweeping litter up 4-5 times a day. The dogs were trying to eat every deposit. One of the kittens developed an intolerance to the kitten food so it was diarrhoea central. You get the picture.

Anyway I researched self cleaning trays, different litter, etc etc. In desperation I ordered a top entry box to try in the meantime. Cat plus kittens immediately switched to it, and stray litter is no more. I haven't had to sweep or hoover up a crumb of litter since it arrived. Dogs can't get in. Waaay less smells. (And I also switched them to raw so the diarrhoea stopped!!)

It's also plenty big enough for the cat and 2 kittens we kept to share, without being ridiculously massive. Definitely recommend 💩

Flyermc

Visit site
i dont have a self cleaning tray, so i cant comment, but tackled the issues with a covered tray.

They cant tip it over or pee over the edge. they dont flick the litter out (i used wood pellets, which smell lovely) The covered tray has a carbon filter (no smell) i take the poos out with a 'dog poo bag' over my hand and empty the remaining litter into the bin about once a week and fill with new litter.

Did this for years, then got a cat flap

Ratface

Visit site
Madam Carrie Cat wishes her loyal fans to know that Cat Slaves Should Know when their Feline Royal Highnesses wish to use the feline commode.
MCC recommends the following training regime.
1. Decide what time of the day will be most inconvenient. One can (and should) mix this up on a daily basis. Yowl loudly when Cat Slave has just sat down with a book/ finally gone to sleep/ is trying to wrangle the Big Clattery Thing's Slave into being helpful and getting nowhere.
2. Balance on the side of the litter tray and poo outside it. Even if Slave has just replaced all the litter and washed/dried and wiped the litter tray with a disinfectant wipe. Keeps them on their toes!
3. Insist Slave supervises all one's uses of the litter box - even a contemplative stir with a paw, prior to leaping out and spreading litter all over the floor . . .
4. Yowl loudly whilst just out of sight. Gets them up in a trice, this one!
5. And finally, dear fans, do not complain when your wonderful cat sits on your head at night and uses it as a
convenient place to perform a full toilette. Remember - cats use their claws to keep their balance . . .
Must have a little snooze now, darlings. Slave has just filled my covered hot water and placed it on my cashmere throw.
Laters, darlings.
Madam Carrie Cat.

honetpot

Visit site
I have three cats, one is mainly outdoors, but does like to come in and have a wee. I have large litter, plus a washing up bowl, I like washing up bowls because the sides are higher, and they are in the bathroom which means if there is a accident its a lot easier to clean up.
I use bags wood pellets,the horse bedding size bags, put a fairly deep layer in and just shake at least once a day and pick out the poo as soon as its done, bag it and bin it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He’s also the fact the dogs love it and just that I don’t
I have a friend who has the self cleaning trays and having seen it, I have to admit, I'm very tempted despite the price.

It has some sort of cassette tray underneath and they just remove that every now and then and it's very clean, never any smell.
Would you happen to know which one? I have been reading and some are apparently pretty awful to clean

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I don't but I can ask.
It is the Petsafe Scoop Free Covered Self Clean Litter Tray which is currently £228 at Argos

ETA: friend says tray lasts around 2 weeks with two cats. They empty and put more silicone in the tray to double it's length of use. They buy trays and silicone from Amazon.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Going off topic slightly but I have to share this because when my friend told us this we were absolutely dying with laughter.

She accidentally hoovered up a very sloppy cat poo with her Shark hoover 🤣🤣

I have a Shark and it would have just been everywhere I think I would have just chucked it away, she cleaned hers and almost threw up doing it I don't think I have ever laughed so much it was hilarious 😂

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Going off topic slightly but I have to share this because when my friend told us this we were absolutely dying with laughter.

She accidentally hoovered up a very sloppy cat poo with her Shark hoover 🤣🤣

I have a Shark and it would have just been everywhere I think I would have just chucked it away, she cleaned hers and almost threw up doing it I don't think I have ever laughed so much it was hilarious 😂
That is absolutely sick making! I’m with you, the hoover would have been binned!
I’m not sure you’d ever get the smell out really would you.