"Caution - young horse/ horse in training" hi-vis

Orangehorse

Visit site
Stick to "Pass Wide and Slow" it is simple and is a direct request.

Horse in 'training or young horse doesn't mean anything to a non horse person. So what? could be their reaction.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I would recommend Mrs Mozart's tabbard idea Polite/Police wording / PLEASE PASS WIDE AND SLOW ....

PLUS

get someone to perhaps walk with you hind young horsey (about 12 feet away) with one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Police...ollectables_Memorabila_RL&hash=item48425a4376

They will think that the traffic police are in operation!!!! Its amazing how folk slow down when I'm walking (on foot) in narrow country lanes. Perhaps they slow down more when they see the reflective blue and white check!

Blitzen

Visit site
Ooh good idea, GREYSMEADOW, someone following in the jacket coupled with me wearing a Polite tabard would be plenty to make them think twice! I may invest in one of these jackets for hacking, as long as I can't get into trouble for impersonating a police officer, lol!

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
All the Police wording is removed - they are excellant at keeping the rain out (well mine is). Just put the Police/Polite tabbard over the top of the Ex-Police jacket and the traffic will hopefully crawl!

Do let us know how you get on.

Archie07

Visit site
I directly asked several of the big insurers as well as my own and all agreed wearing such a tabard has no affect on your insurance nor are you admitting liability.

It's no different to learner drivers displaying L plates.

I have a caution young horse tabbard which i always wear.

MrsHutt

Visit site
It would be good if you could get personalised tabbards - we would like one with 'Recovering from Injury - thank you for your patience' aor 'OAP horse' as my horse fractured his leg last year and is now back hacking in walk, but we are taking it really slow and haven't trotted yet. He's 19 in March so his recovery is slow and careful.

I found this when I was looking for hi-viz riding gloves (still not found any!):

http://www.hivis.net/Static/Content.aspx?page=Printing

Don't know how much it will cost, but the implication is that you can have what you want printed for a reasonable cost with no minimum order - I will read more!

Blitzen

Visit site
I love the idea of the personalised ones. Could be really handy, but I find it hard to think of phrases that don't sound patronising, or sarcastic, lol! Maybe its just me over thinking things. Or I'm just a sarky cow... !

madmav

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake: If that whole 'in training, young horse' insurance liability thing is true, I am definitely leaving the country. That has to be an urban myth.

I once rode in a hi-viz tabard that read 'Does my bum look big on this?' Should I sue? (I think I have quite a neat bottom)

NELSON11

Visit site
I directly asked several of the big insurers as well as my own and all agreed wearing such a tabard has no affect on your insurance nor are you admitting liability.

It's no different to learner drivers displaying L plates.

I have a caution young horse tabbard which i always wear.

Ditto this

I have worn my caution young horse tabard on the baby since he was backed at 4 on the road, now 5 and I am not admiting liability of anything, just exactly what is says on the tabard. And if it makes drivers behind me stop and think a little more, than that is fine with me.

ossy

Visit site
I had asked my insurance company about this and got the same response as the the poster above.

However there was a incident near me last year and when the incident went through the small claims court, the driver did use the fact they had a "caution young horse" tabard on as a means of his defence. The agrument being that even the rider didn't know what the horse might do or how it might react as it was only young and in training the driver did get some money out of the rider's insurance as well.
TBH I think its just the culture we live in now, I read an article about the "polite" tabards recently and how some drivers say its confusing as if its a police horse they would expect it to be pretty bombproof and not react to cars that don't slow down, so I can see that being used in the future too. Have to say I love my polite tabard would't be without it now.

ossy

Visit site
You don't need any wording just a nice long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket will do the trick and thank the motorists for slowing down using a hand signal or nodding your head.

Really where in the country do you live cause that sure as hell doesn't happen around me :rolleyes:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know that everyone has "heard" of the "Caution young horse" tabards invalidating insurance in the case of an RTC, but has anyone actually got direct experience of this being the case, rather than "a friend of a friend heard etc......". Has anyone actually asked their insurance company directly. Because surely if this was the case, manufacturers wouldn't keep making them with this logo on?

Exactly!

IMO, the only people who can tell OP (or any-one else) if such a tabard would invalidate her insurance are her insurance company.

Most drivers, who are not going slowly anyway, wouldn't have time to read several words on the back of a tabard which is possibly crinkled up from being worn by the rider. 'Please pass wide and Slow' is surely enough of an explanation, so long as it is accompanied by a 'Thank you' when they comply.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Really where in the country do you live cause that sure as hell doesn't happen around me :rolleyes:

London (including Central London) and Hertfordshire.
The advantage of a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket is that other road users can see ones hand signals far more clearly.
If I want someone to stop I point at them for 3 seconds and then hold the palm of my hand up.
If I want them to give me a wider birth when overtaking then again I point at them and point to the other side of the road.
I always check what is coming up behind me.
I always thank motorists by using a hand signal and or nodding my head.
I have been riding on the roads for 40 years and before Hi-Viz jackets where available I used to wear a bright orange kagoule.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
TBH I think its just the culture we live in now, I read an article about the "polite" tabards recently and how some drivers say its confusing as if its a police horse they would expect it to be pretty bombproof and not react to cars that don't slow down, so I can see that being used in the future too. Have to say I love my polite tabard would't be without it now.

so basically drivers are saying that if its a police horse its ok to speed past?
:eek:OMG whats happening to the world................................sitting in corner and rocking.:eek:

ossy

Visit site
so basically drivers are saying that if its a police horse its ok to speed past?
:eek:OMG whats happening to the world................................sitting in corner and rocking.:eek:

Yip me too!! It was in one of those letters from readers in the daily newspaper i get.
TBH I'm more astonished that in London Motorists seem to slow down with basic hand signals from someone wearing plain long sleaved hi vis. I'm not saying no one slows down, somepeople do take notice of my hand signals, but a large majority would just completely ignore them, my polite tabard over hi vic long sleeves is the only thing that seems to work.

Kadastorm

Visit site
i think you should call your insurance company and ask, only way you will know.

Also, someone mentioned people moaning about being passed at 40mph on a national speed limit road - i dont blame them! just because you can do a max of 60, doesnt mean you have to do that speed. you drive at a speed thats ok for that road and pass animals, pedestrians and cyclists at a slow speed and give them a wide berth.

Kaylum

Visit site
No message on your tabard can invalidate your insurance but not wearing hi viz could be a "could not see you" problem. You need orange or pink hi viz as well. The yellow stuff isnt that good in bright winter sunlight.

Any road user needs to be able to see another road user. If it went to a court case and the rider/horse could not be seen thats a case that might not be won by the equine road user.

Kat

Visit site
The wording is not going to invalidate your insurance unless there is a specific term in your policy. It also does not constitute admitting liability. BUT it could be used as evidence in a civil claim to suggest that you knew your horse was not safe on the roads.

That is why I only wear plain hi-viz.

Well that and I would rather drivers weren't trying to read what my hi-viz says!

ThreeTB's

Visit site
When it's cold we wear our hi viz jackets, but in warmer weather wear tabards - only problem is, OH's says 'caution young horse' and his horse is now 14! He just wears it for visibility, and if anyone ever tried to claim in court he shouldn't have taken the 'young horse' on the road, it'll backfire on them! I really don't think the wording matters - mine says 'caution horse and rider', and to be honest, if someone needs to read that to work out what we are they'd have probably run into us by then :rolleyes::D

PortwayPaddy

Visit site
^^agree^^ with this poster

The one I'd like to have published is 'CARS DENT HORSES DIE'

You can get "Horses Die Cars Dent" stickers which can be stuck on a tabard from EMW (Equine Market Watch.) They were designed by a member of Saddle Up a few years ago and have a big picture of a horse sitting on a car bonnet.

This has the advantage of being a statement of fact as opposed to being misconstruded in any way as an admmision of Liability.

Paddy

PortwayPaddy

Visit site
No message on your tabard can invalidate your insurance but not wearing hi viz could be a "could not see you" problem. You need orange or pink hi viz as well. The yellow stuff isnt that good in bright winter sunlight.

Any road user needs to be able to see another road user. If it went to a court case and the rider/horse could not be seen thats a case that might not be won by the equine road user.

I *think* PetPlan actually have a question on their claim form regarding the wearing -or not - of high viz at the time of an accident.

I have not had this substanciated but a couple of people have mentioned it.

Paddy

Beatrice5

Visit site
Paddy do you have a web address or link where we can get the " horses die cars dent sticker from ?

Many thanks

I have a 4 yo NF I am about to back after years of walking out in hand on the roads hence searching on the young horse tabard thread. I still feel I need L plates but when I drew them on a tabard when I was backing my mare they ran in the rain so need a rethink - any suggestions? I didn't think permanent markers would run.... but they did :(

Can you get a Hi Viz eventing bib?

Aces_High

Visit site
^^agree^^ with this poster

The one I'd like to have published is 'CARS DENT HORSES DIE'

Unfortunately I think of my life before my horses life! I think it should say

'CARS DENT - RIDERS DIE'

I think it's disgraceful the lack of respect car drivers have for horses and their riders. I must admit, around where I live we are very lucky and the general masses are very good.

scarymare

Visit site
Admitting liability, because IMO if it is windy, he is young and he is on his toes, it isn't a sensible idea to take him anywhere near a public road, where you could injure yourself, the horse or some innocent 3rd party.

Absolutely agree with this. Find it really shocking too that some people (on here) take babies out on roads with headcollars and ropes. Madness IMO.