Ceramic therapy products

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is there any science behind the many ceramic infused therapy products, aimed at arthritis and stiffness etc-..... or is it more junk I'll spend money I don't really have on and see no effect from 😄

TheMule

Visit site
There is very limited science. There are certainly much more proven therapies for arthritis that can actually help to manage the pain

paddi22

Visit site
I notice a massive difference with the back-on-track stuff and my horses. I rate them. I used to have to handwalk my older eventer around for about 10 mins after a long journey to an event, until he loosened out and unstiffened. when I travel with the back on track rug on he comes out much looser and I don't need to handwalk him. i notice a big difference between when it's the back on track versus a normal fleece. My physio also recommended them for various ailments over the years. I really rate them and use their boots, numnahs, rugs and back warmers a lot.

vam

Visit site
Personally, i think there is more science behind them than magnetic items. Its worth looking at Back on Track and Catago for the info as they tend to explain it well.
For what its worth i rate them. I have a rug that mine wears every night when she is over night and it noticeable how much warmer and how the heat stays next to her compared to any other rug I've used. I have friends who use Ceramic items and rate them too.
However my oh half swears by them, has a back brace and it really makes a difference when he puts it on. He has a blanket which he uses on problem areas when needed and again it really works easing pain/soreness.
Ultimately though there is a bit of hokum with this stuff and to be taken with a pinch of salt. ;) if you can pick it up second hand to give it a go then it definitely worth a try.

ihatework

Visit site
I do really like my Back on Track rug but in all honesty I'm not sure its any more 'therapeutic' than just being very effective for the weight of material at keeping the muscles warm. Warm muscles help reduce stiffness, nothing too magic. You could probably achieve a similar effect with a thicker rug, but it's nicer for the horse to be able to wear a light well fitted rug.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm usually really sceptical about this sort of thing but a friend had amazing results on their wrist with one of Rambo's wrist supports, they tried it as a last ditch resort and weren't expecting it to work. I use some of the things on my horse and have felt there has been a positive effect.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Back on track is used by horse and husband. I also have a weatherbeeta fleece that apparently has the same tech but I do think there’s a difference and (cheaper) weatherbeeta isn’t as good/ obvious on the difference. I’m not that keen on the fit of the BoT mesh rug, it pulls back quite badly but that might just be the horse! He can’t wear combo rugs either as they pull back badly too in any make!

leflynn

Visit site
I have the Infra Red stuff from BoT and Premier Equine and find it helps, have also used it on me when my back has been really bad and again found it helped me a lot, no idea of the science but it never seems to overcook horse even when its hot so always have the rug on, never as stiff after a days hunting either the next morning with rug/leg wraps on (horse not me btw)

Orangina

Visit site

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've bought a set of second hand ones, figure i can probably sell again if they don't help. I don't really think they will do a lot as i don't really think he has stiff hocks, He's a bit neurological and i think that's how he moves but anythings worth a shot!

mini-eventer

Visit site
As i figured! Thanks!

I'm never sure I'm a huge David Marlin fab to be honest- I will go have a look though!
He speaks sense about a lot of stuff.

However I belive his actual qualifications are not science based... so I look at what he says as one point of view, and look further. Often I agree, but not always.

I'm not convinced that he is completely unbiased.

He is another who is quick to jump on anyone who dares to disagree with him.

TheMule

Visit site
He speaks sense about a lot of stuff.

However I belive his actual qualifications are not science based... so I look at what he says as one point of view, and look further. Often I agree, but not always.

I'm not convinced that he is completely unbiased.

He is another who is quick to jump on anyone who dares to disagree with him.

He is annoying and very up himself, but he does have a science degree and PhD and has published/ co-authored on a number of scientific papers accepted by respected journals.

Squeak

Visit site
I think I lost respect for him when he said that talcum powder was dangerous - sure it's been approved to be used on babies and been used for years on them but according to him it's dangerous - or did I miss something on that?

Having said that I think that scientific research is a really good thing but his research is often quoted as gospel whereas (as with a lot of studies) it has it's limitations and should be evaluated as such.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Yes I'm not arguing what he says is wrong as such, I just dislike the way he's quite unprofessional by be-littling peoples POV if they differ from his own.

I think I lost respect for him when he said that talcum powder was dangerous - sure it's been approved to be used on babies and been used for years on them but according to him it's dangerous - or did I miss something on that?

Having said that I think that scientific research is a really good thing but his research is often quoted as gospel whereas (as with a lot of studies) it has it's limitations and should be evaluated as such.
I *think, and this had absolutely nothing to do with David Marlin that talcum powder these days is different and not actual talcum powder any more because it was harmful. No idea if thats really true but it was on a barefoot page I read about applying Hoof armour and baby powder not being the right stuff to use anymore... so he may have a point on that one!

Last edited:

poacher82

Visit site
Yes I'm not arguing what he says is wrong as such, I just dislike the way he's quite unprofessional at be-littling peoples POV if they differ from his own.
☝️ this, exactly! I kind of get it when he's frustrated by the same people continually arguing black is white etc, but he does seem to be equally sarcastic/rude to the more innocent 'offenders' (for want of a better word!) too.