Champion hat and sizes

Pmf27

Visit site
Hi all, was hoping for some advice about the size differences between different styles of Champion hats.

I've had a five year break from riding, though in that time I went out on a hack and (stupidly) used my old Champion Junior CPX3000 Hat - stupidly because the last time I'd worn it I fell on a jump and slammed my head HARD twice.

That hat had been fitted for me when I was about 18 (25 now) and was a 71-8 (58cm). When I wore it on the subsequent hack, it still fitted well and this would have been a couple of years ago - so into my twenties.

I really liked that hat but this time I've gone with the Champion Junior X-Air in the same size, which I was able to reserve online at Go Outdoors.

I do understand that sizes between brands differ significantly, so had I gone for a different brand I'd never even taken the chance ordering online, but I'm just curious as to how likely it is that the fit will be the same? Given it's the same size in the same brand?

Obviously I won't part with my money if it's not a good fit but I'm just interested at this point as to what difference - if any - I can expect when I pick it up?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've been 7 1/8 in Champions for the last 15 years, went from classic velvet style to a Ventair Skull and a Ventair peaked. The skull caps are a little rounder in shape but fit fine.

However when I took a break from riding from about 17 to my 20s, my head had got bigger. I'd been 6 7/8 all through my childhood up to that point but when I started again my head was bigger.

So while the hats may not have changed I don't know if at 18 your head would be.

Eta note the seller may not take it back if bought online, they can't resell in case you've dropped it. I think there is some sort of exclusion in safety equipment and distance selling rules

Annagain

Visit site
I'm also a 7 1/8 in a Champion - in fact they're the only brand that seem to fit me. I have a Ventair jockey skull for every day and a velvet one for showing / dressage. I bought the velvet one online and just assumed it would be the same fit - luckily it is. Most Champions I've tried on have fitted nicely and seemed very similar so I think you'll be ok.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I agree I have found champions to mainly fit the same across different models... but think we ought to acknowledge that it would be best to get it fitted by a qualified person ;)

Pmf27

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, it sounds likely that I should be okay then and I'm reassured to hear that Champion sizes are quite consistent across styles.

I agree I have found champions to mainly fit the same across different models... but think we ought to acknowledge that it would be best to get it fitted by a qualified person ;)
Oh absolutely and if I were switching brands I would have without hesitation! Just figured that as it was only a couple of years ago that this brand and size fitted well I should be safe to do a self assessment on the fit. Will be getting a proper fitting if this one is no good though.

holeymoley

Visit site
I had a Champion Ventair I think it was called about 10/15years ago. It was a fabulous hat but the lining went in it quite quickly so it ended up quite ‘spacious’. Ive got a Charles Owen showing hat and a Harry Hall hat for every day use and they seem to have kept their lining a bit better.

AFB

Visit site
I had a Champion ventair skull that needed replacing - went to do so and they seem to have changed? No longer anywhere near fitting me, far too shallow and just not the right shape anymore.

I ended up with a Charles Owen round fit.

Definitely go and get fitted!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I always wear champion and have always been the same size (7)

luckily your head doesn't really getting any bigger! sure i was this size when i was 12 and im 36 now.

Pmf27

Visit site
Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Went to pick the helmet up today and tried it on before buying it, it felt really comfortable and was quite a firm fit but then I decided I didn't trust myself and was worrying about it.

So I didn't buy it and instead raced off to a tack shop for a fitting, where I was fitted in the exact same helmet and size! Ought to have trusted myself, but happy to have supported a small business nonetheless and have now found 'my' tack shop, I think.

Lesson went well too and it all came back to me in seconds, all in all a successful first day back in the saddle!