Chances of a good home ?

swellhillcottage

Visit site
Anyway:eek: the point of my extreeeeeeeeeeemly long post was that the chances of a "difficult" horse not being passed on are slim - people might believe all they are telling you at the time but when the brown stuff hits the fan, they often get rid especially if they haven't had the horse long.

After all, we've all advised people on here to do the same - send them back, no shame in admitting that you can't cope, meant to be fun etc etc.....and we hope that they will tell the truth when selling on but will they?

Too many horses, not enough homes let alone truly good ones for the less desirable, quirky, difficult ones:(

I don't believe that PTS is the easy option, it's the bl**dy difficult one, IMHO the easier option is to wave the trailer off with nice fuzzy thoughts about happy ever after.....

BTW, truly don't mean offence to anyone but I've had years of abuse from people who can't imagine that I really would have a handsome, sound horse shot - cos that's cruel isn't it? :rolleyes: Yeah right, it's not cruel to risk having them pass pillar to post though.

Very Well Put .

Sharonxx

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Good Grief, what a post! Munched through a packet of malteasers, and had 2 cans of ginger beer.. not good!! lol
Firstly, I do feel sorry for said horse.
Secondly, I feel sorry for all the effort by people responding and offering said horse a home.
Thirdly, Don't think anyone has asked to see a photo of said horse... can I be the first please to request a photo?
Fourthly, I did get the impression all bonny wanted to hear was 'shoot the bugger'.
And finally... After all that, I came to the conclusion that this is a wind up and can't possibly be a real problem and my goodness me, didn't we all feed the troll well!!??

Bonny, request from me if ever you can be arsed to read, please wake up and smell the coffee, really nice experienced people ARE out there for said horse and be nice to all those who ARE giving YOU a life line - (if this is real of course!)

gemin1eye

Visit site
what a ridiculous, attention seeking post, can't believe I actually bothered reading it all when the OP only read half of it

OneInAMillion

Visit site
But he is only "unwanted" because you think he is. Plenty of people have already said he sounds their type of horse, or for people they know. If I was looking for a TB I would be looking around that height, as they can be very narrow a smaller type of around 15.2hh can feel like riding a 14hh pony to me! I work at a racing yard and the horses are around 17hh, they definitely feel a lot smaller than that!

I would be looking into finding a home for him, be very honest about him, give it some time and I am sure he will find a nice home. Although it does sound like you have already made the decision. I have no problems with pts a horse that could be past from pillar to post, be sold onto an unsuspecting young rider and causing an accident etc. But from what you have said I know plenty of riders including myself that would enjoy him and his quirks. He sounds like he may suit team chasing for example, or with work could hunt. Lots of people are out looking for the more difficult and challenging horses at the lower end of the market, who wants a 100% perfect horse anyway...it gets boring :)

My friend has a tb that fits this exact description but she is working with him and he is so different!

bertandbeans

New User
Visit site
I would! Can't tho as am returning to NZ at the end of the year. My last model was an ex racehorse 'free' off the track. It was me or dog food basically. Had him for five years and sold him onto a lovely girl who still emails me to tell me how much she loves him! Be very carefull who you choose. Some people wouldn't value something they got for nothing. 'We won't bother getting his teeth done, he's not worth it'. What about charities that re-home horses? They maybe able to take him for you and re-home him. If not they may be able to offer some valuable advice, having had alot of experience as it were. Good luck freebee horse!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
This is kind of related to this subject. When we got my horse he was an unloveable horse. He is only 15hands and was and still can be extremely hard to handle. He was unloveable because he had no-one to love him. Now we have had him 3 years. I have had pretty much 1 to 1 contact with him and he is a changed horse.

Still after 3 years and in fact today he will go from walking along to rearing full tilt on the road. Call him dangerous call him aggressive but I know that horse inside out and he is loved.

My point is basically a horse is what you want it to be a lot of the time.
If you don't love it it won't be loveable and if you don't try then there won't be rewards to come with it.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Seems like Bonny Scotland has been trying to offload (these?) horses for three years and this thread is like being in that weird series LOST. We are going to wake up tomrrow to find we are all dead and this was all a load of imaginary nonsense of unanswered questions...

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
i think this is a rediculous situation!! 16.3 isnt massive, and a 12 year old is in his prime- to consider putting this horse down is surely a crime? have you tried advertising him/her in HandH, or Hound magazine- i'd say his career would be in hunting being as he has been down that line before.reading between the lines here bugger all has seriously been done to find this poor horse a decent home- try your local hunts, advertise him in your local paper( thats where we found our horse in a million 12 years ago!)put ads everywhere, IF you can be truly bothered-

Kat

Visit site
I think that's the whole point - she can't

Good point well made, it seems bonny would rather winge about how difficult to rehome this horse is in umpteen different threads than expend a similar amount of energy doing something useful about rehoming him.

Not once have we heard her telling us what efforts she has gone to to rehome him and find a suitable home, just a load of moaning and a few posts on here. She never deals with sensible questions, I believe because she actually doesn't want to find this horse the loving home he deserves.

Go on Bonny, prove us all wrong, answer my 4 easy questions!!!!

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Benson, I certainly don't think pts is an easy option or easy to live with if you go down that route. I've had to have horses destroyed in the past and had horses die after accidents but I also think it's part of having horses that somethimes you have to make that decision.
Horses will live along time and if people have the facilities and money to keep them in retirement then that's fine but I'm not in that situation. Saying that I do have an old, aggressive pony that will never leave us, I would never find a suitable home for him and despite his grumbiness he's very much loved.
This is a very large, middle aged tb who was bred to race and has done for many years. He's not suitable as a hacking horse, not an easy horse to handle or keep and I genuinely can't see what else he could do. In the wrong hands he would be a nightmare. I wish now we hadn't had him back, but we did and it's now a problem where he goes. I'm getting critised for wondering what is the best course of action and maybe someone will turn up who wants him but I can't see why apart from the chance of having a free horse.

to be brutally honest, i dont think you have any idea of what you are talking about! 16.3 is not huge, 12 isnt middle aged- this horse needs a decent home that you cant be arsed to find him! nothing wrong with ex racers, youve described him elsewhere and he sound like hes crying out for a loving owner and TLC. so what are all these horses you've had put down and lots of accidents? you sound like a disaster zone- for gods sake put ads. everywhere, local rag, paper shops, supermarkets- you never know who might come along!

duggan

Visit site
Well, she's not answered my pm. We are experienced tb people, and I think from what i've read the horse might well do our job. Not necessary asking for a free horse, but i want a big tb that jumps and enjoys his jumping, and is under 18 years old. Quirks??! We have them all! Ticks the boxes, but i'm not convinced he's really available......

duggan

Visit site
Having received a reply now i'm even more in the dark. Good luck with what you do end up doing with him, you obviously have had your issues with him, but in my humble opinion you need to allow the horse the show his worth, not make decisions for him based on your own experiences. My top tc open horse would stop at a crosspole if he thought his rider wasn't sure.
Your original post was asking if he'd find a good home, but you don't think he can do anything at all safely. Won't hack, won't jump etc etc. If you are looking for a companion home then say so, there are people looking for those too! Or is he evil to all other equines as well? I'm glad you've had so much support. But I don't understand so can't be one of them.
From my experience of horses, you enlighten people with his failures and fortunes, then leave the horse to make his own way in life. Not constantly tell people he's no good and can't do anything. Not going to reply to the pm as it took enough time for you to notice it last time!!!!

CNM

Visit site
OMG! I am now bald as i have pulled all my hair out over this post!! So bloody frustrating....