Change of ownership

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
This is a slightly different scenario, but I move home a lot and when I moved a considerable distance, thought it would be wise to update the passport to my latest address. I phoned them to ask if I could just write the new address in, to be told No that would be defacing it and making it void. I was supposed to send the passport back to them and pay a 10 pound fee to have it updated. Considering I'd moved five times in the previous 4yrs alone and if I updated it every time it would cost me a fortune, I didn't bother. Nobody has come to arrest me yet!

loz_774

New User
Visit site
I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago realising I’d had her over 5 years without registering the change of ownership with weatherbys.

I just went on the website and filled out the form with correct date of purchase (2015) and then sent it in. They got it back to me in around 10 days and I didn’t hear anything so I’m assuming everything is fine.

amyc123

Visit site
I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago realising I’d had her over 5 years without registering the change of ownership with weatherbys.

I just went on the website and filled out the form with correct date of purchase (2015) and then sent it in. They got it back to me in around 10 days and I didn’t hear anything so I’m assuming everything is fine.

what passport issuing organisation were you with? I’ve got a similar situation where I’ve had my horse 3 years but never changed ownership, just wondering if I put original date I got her

loz_774

New User
Visit site
what passport issuing organisation were you with? I’ve got a similar situation where I’ve had my horse 3 years but never changed ownership, just wondering if I put original date I got her

Weatherbys, honestly I think you’ll be okay if you put the original date even if it’s a different issuer.

neddy man

Visit site
I wonder how many owners having checked for microchip details on their passports (as of today all horses should be microchipped by law) have noticed that they have never changed ownership details ? There will be hundreds but no one seems to be checking and probably never will unless you compete racing be bs bd or county shows.

Wishfilly

Visit site
If you're over the 30 days, the most you'll get for a first offence is a letter informing you of the law. But also no-one will know if you lie and put a purchase date within the last 30 days.

The date of ownership is recorded in the passport though, AFIAK, and you might want that to be the real date. It's not proof of ownership as such, but having a different date in the passport could be seen as proof of not ownership, if that makes sense?

MrsNorris

Visit site
I’ve had mine 15 years and his passport is still in the name the person who originally passported him, who is not the person I bought him off or the owner before him. He’s had loads of vet treatment, vaccinations etc, been out competing and no one has ever asked to see his passport apart from stamping it for vaccinations, and they don’t check or care whose name is in it then, only that it more or less matches the horse they have jabbed. Horse is retired now so I’m not bothering to change anything. My other horse was put in my name straight away as it was all straightforward.