Changing food - stopped eating

quirky

Visit site
Changing puppy dog from Royal Canin to Fish4Puppies.

Transitioning over a week, half amount of RC and half what he'll get when on F4P per feed. He is fed twice a day.

I did give him a small amount of F4P initially to see if he would eat it, he did :).

I started this last Thur and by the weekend, he wasn't eating up. Yesterday, I split the feeds into separate bowls and he ate up the RC, left the F4P. As he'd only had half his tea, I put the F4P in his crate with him at night, it was empty this morning :).

I'm not bothered in using up his RC, so gave him F4P (full portion) this morning, he hasn't eaten it :(.

So, what do I do, give up and give him RC, or wait for him to be hungry enough to eat his F4P?

lexiedhb

Visit site
I always thought with dogs that you put down their food- if they have not eaten it within 10-15 mins, it is removed until the next meal time? Surely he will eat it when he is hungry?

quirky

Visit site
I always thought with dogs that you put down their food- if they have not eaten it within 10-15 mins, it is removed until the next meal time? Surely he will eat it when he is hungry?

Thing is, he is an absolute gannet for food, gets very excited at feed time.
This morning, he didn't even bother getting out of bed :(. He hasn't as much as sniffed his food, even though I fed him a little later than I normally did.

I'm pretty sure he's not off colour, he snatched a bag of crisps out of my girls hand and shot off, so he's still into mischief :rolleyes:. I did retrieve the crisps before he got to eat any, much to his disappointment :D.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Hmmm strange- Dex will eat ANYTHING you put in front of him (except raw chicken- go figure).

Maybe stick with what he likes then?

galaxy

Visit site
hmmm.... wonder if it's something about RC? My Sis in law cannot get her Smooth Collie to eat anything else either. She tried loads of diff feeds and can't get her to eat anything else.

quirky

Visit site
hmmm.... wonder if it's something about RC? My Sis in law cannot get her Smooth Collie to eat anything else either. She tried loads of diff feeds and can't get her to eat anything else.

Don't tell me that :(, it was on offer in the pet store as they were stocking it for the first time, and I bought him some more bags on the strength of him eating it when I gave him his taster :eek:.

Could be an expensive mistake :rolleyes::eek:.

galaxy

Visit site
Bizarrely my Sis in Laws dog won't eat raw or cooked meat..... She's tried starving her too.

But then (she doesn't live close so don't see her much), she is a very quiet dog for 10 months collie! I a slightly worried she isn't right....

Sorry OP to divert!

ladyearl

vvv
why don't you cut in the RC again and make a slower transition - he's maybe not sure about the fish stuff as it's so different but if you feed the two together for longer he'll gradually get the taste for it