Character "Issues"

BunnyDog

Visit site
I was talking with a friend lately and she was suggesting I maybe take a lesson from a guy who rides in the same discipline as myself. I said that he was a lovely rider, and I had chit chatted with him at a show but I was kind of permanently put off because he had a major to do with being kicked out of a show due to some character issues. And when the NGB suspends someone for horse welfare issues, I am kind of just done. I don't love the idea of paying them for their knowledge when it also includes doing things that are not so great for their animals.

So do character issues come to mind when you are considering a person to have a lesson or clinic or whatever??

I know you all have the Dodgy Buyers groups on Fb (which we can't have here) but I wondered if there's a pass for some things but not others??

Em

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I couldn't have lessons with someone I didn't respect as a person and for their horsemanship so... no pass from me! it's a long term professional relationship when you get a trainer you gel with so for me, i prefer to actively like them too!
In my area there is lots of choice for trainers in most disciplines so I'd always want to seek out someone who ticked those boxes.

I am not averse to putting a bit of pressure on a horse to get it over a training hump but it's always always got to be fair to the horse and done in a way that they can understand the question and get the answer. I'm based on site where I train so see a fair bit of the "behind closed doors" and I'm happy with it.

I have had lessons where i thought the person didn't have the horse's interests at heart (stopped half way through) or where their own personality was ghastly (never went back). those people are still busy and popular so i guess some must overlook those things, but like I say, there's lots of choice in this area so no need to stick with them.

Roxylola

Visit site
Not just the ethics of paying someone who you feel is maybe a questionable character but if they've had issues with welfare I don't think their attitude to the horse would gel with my training. As MP says I'm no pony patter and I'm not averse to correcting things or putting pressure on appropriately but their well being is always to the front of my mind.
I think I'd give them a miss

Teaboy

Visit site
Most definitely. When I was younger I had lessons with a highly respected trainer, I never wanted said trainer to ride my horse as I knew they could be too tough on horses. It then dawned on me that if I didn’t want said trainer riding my horse I shouldn’t be having lessons with them, despite how much I had improved under their instruction I wanted to use someone who had the same ethos as me of working with horses and not forcing.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Most definitely. When I was younger I had lessons with a highly respected trainer, I never wanted said trainer to ride my horse as I knew they could be too tough on horses. It then dawned on me that if I didn’t want said trainer riding my horse I shouldn’t be having lessons with them, despite how much I had improved under their instruction I wanted to use someone who had the same ethos as me of working with horses and not forcing.

This exactly.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Absolutely not, if I am paying money to someone I need to have faith that their horsemanship and training. After all I am paying for their system and advice. I refuse to support people and condone behaviour that I don't think is professional or acceptable.