Charities

DipseyDeb

Visit site
What are the rules regarding a charity that is unregistered? And horse charities selling horses on for a profit? Do small charities have to keep accounts to show how donations are spent?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
What are the rules regarding a charity that is unregistered? And horse charities selling horses on for a profit? Do small charities have to keep accounts to show how donations are spent?
As I understand it, unless they are registered, they are not a charity. Claiming to be so is fraud.

DipseyDeb

Visit site
I've tried to look into it and a believe a small charity doesn't necessarily have to be registered... this seems odd in my opinion but there you go. But there must be a point where you have to register. And surely accounts have to be kept and who are they answerable to?

paddi22

Visit site

Kaylum

Visit site
There are some rehoming who are running as limited companies and selling the horses on. I don't think they are charities are they?

honetpot

Visit site
Most charities are limited companies for legal reasons, you also can have not, for profit companies.
I think you have to look if there are any accounts, if there are any, and who is getting the money. I know of a local registered charity, it's run two married couples, and they are 'rehoming' four month old puppies, for £400-£600, which sound like they are imported.

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Well this is what I thought... they have prided themselves in the past with never selling horses on but I know they do and some for a tidy profit.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I would report to the charity commission, as it sounds like they should be registered.

However, they may be able to argue they are not making a profit on the horses when the costs of keeping them are taken into account.