Charlie update

Annagain

Visit site
Well it’s been 2 1/2 weeks since he arrived and we’ve been taking things nice and slowly but it’s safe to say Charlie is definitely working his way into my heart. We’ve done a fair few local hacks and he hasn’t put a foot wrong, either under saddle or in terms of handling. He's had his first jab (he came with a replacement passport with no records) had his teeth done (he's rather special as on one of his teeth he has two of something (I can't remember the name of it now!) he should only have one of which isn't a problem but the vet - a dental expert who teaches the post grad course at Liverpool - has never seen it before!) and we've yet to find something that bothers him. He doesn't love being fly sprayed but he's getting better every day and he has his moments of insisting he doesn't know what the hell you're asking him to do when you ask him to lift his legs but he doesn't do anything naughty just, well, does nothing! Today we lifted them all first time which is a big win. This was today's other test, which he passed with flying colours (I drive past it on my way home so took the photo then, I had both hands firmly on the reins going past it, not that I needed to!)

UtjYlwx.jpg

The only complaint I have so far is he lost a shoe last week and, with me being away for a few days immediately afterwards, he didn't get ridden for over a week. I got back on Monday night and I have this week off purely to play ponies so when I had nobody to ride with yesterday I had to decide whether to go it alone or not. I wasn't sure it was the wisest move as he hadn't been sat on for so long but I don't want to start making that excuse or I'll keep making it so off we went. I was a bit apprehensive and he was definitely picking up on that so was a bit anxious but despite me not helping him at all, he was complete star. I did some singing and we did a 15 minute loop in about 10 minutes as he walked so quickly but by the end I was happy enough that I wasn't going to lose my phone to take my first between the ears shot!

eEWGtKd.jpg

We haven't done much in the school yet as he's having his saddle fitted on Saturday so I don't want to ask too much of him until that's sorted but I've taken him in there to get used to it as the saddler will want to see him ridden in there. I don't want it all to be new in there so we know if he does anything it's down to the saddle not being a new environment - not that I think he will! The first few times I rode him I was wishing I was on Archie as I just know him inside out and it's so easy on him. Now I'm starting to be glad I'm on him and not constantly looking for the next lame step. Arch is extra cwtchy and guilt tripping me every day though!

I think this photo of us, after a few laps of the school following a short hack, says it all. He was well worth the wait.

nX6keDJ.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks all! Now all I need is a magic method to keep him that colour. I've just remembered complaint number two - which is...well, number two! He's currently sharing a field with about 40 sheep as well as 5 other horses and he seems to have a bit of a penchant for sheep poo. We're getting away with the stains at the moment but it's not going to last!

Annagain

Visit site
I swear he's smiling in the photo ?

It took a few goes to get those ears forward. My friend had to stand in exactly the right spot. One step either way and they’d go straight back!

I also took my hi-viz and body protector off for the photo. As I was throwing them into the corner while holding the buckle, I suddenly realised this was the 4th time I had sat on him and maybe I should be a bit more careful! The fact I didn’t consider this before is testament to how good he is.

Annagain

Visit site
Well, it had to happen. Charlie and I had our first words last night. We went out for a hack with Monty and Archie's sharer (who is now sharing Monty - keep up!). We have two lanes out from the yard. If we're doing anything other than an "around the block" hack we always go out on the left hand one - they both take us to the same road but the left hand one joins it much closer to our hacking routes. Before the lane splits it's a single track lane which serves the yard and two houses. There's nowhere for a car to pass a horse on this stretch. As we were leaving, a neighbour was coming up that stretch of lane so we had to turn back and go back to the yard gateway. Charlie thought he was going home and was none too pleased when I told him to go back out again but accepted it. We then went down the left hand lane only to find it blocked by a fallen tree so had to turn back to use the other lane. Again Charlie thought he was going home and was a bit more sticky this time but we went on our way.

Along the ride we went on, there were another three points where turning one way meant the shortest way home and turning the other meant a longer ride. Each time, I chose the longer way, each time Charlie complained a little more vociferously. The final one - where we would normally turn into the lane that is currently blocked to go home - was about to escalate into a bit of a strop rather than just complaining when M decided he'd had enough too and bit him on the bum! Charlie shot forward and was a delight for the rest of the ride! I think I've found a cure to napping, everybody just needs a grumpy old Monty to hand!

Seriously though, Charlie's attempts at napping were pretty pathetic and he gave up after about 3 seconds each time. If that's the worst he's got to throw at me, I couldn't be happier! We also had to stop at the red lights for the roadworks and there was a cricket match going on on the common next to us. He was fascinated but not in the slightest bit bothered even when the ball came in his rough direction, quickly followed by a man dressed all in white running towards us as top speed!

I didn't believe people when they said I'd just know when I found the right horse, I believe it happens to other people but not to me....until now!