Checklist for buying a horse

horselady

Visit site
Hi all,
Just thought I'd ask other people what is your checklist if you go to look at a horse. When I was going round looking at horses I had a checklist of what I wanted so of course not many got ticked. Here's mine:
Shire, Clydesdale or cob
good with people
100% bombproof in all traffic
lots of snowy white feather
nice nature
not a kicker
Would never spook
So this is how my checklist looked with the mare I had just bought after a week as her true nature emerged. Sat in the car I did tick or crosses. It looked like this:
Shire, Clydesdale or cob :)
good with people x
100% bombproof in all traffic x
lots of snowy white feather :)
nice nature :)
not a kicker x
Would never spook x
What do your checklists look like?

Theocat

Visit site
16hh or above
10+ years old with no medical problems to date
Knows its job and can take me straight out at Novice dressage
Sane hack
No coloureds

I err towards the riding horse type but would look at anything if it had good conformation for its type. Gender immaterial, as are cosmetic blemishes. Ability to take me safely over the occasional 60cm jump a bonus.

I got exactly what I wanted.

scats

Visit site
I like to buy younger and produce them myself. If I was to go out looking for something again, I would want a 4-5 year old, recently backed or been riding lightly for 6 months to a year. Quite happy if it's not been ridden in a school yet, I actually prefer working with horses who've spent their first year under saddle out hacking.

I prefer mares. I click with them better and I trust them more, plus I find they have a bit more self-preservation than geldings.

Saying that, my 'type' is a solid bay sports horse, about 16hh. I have one of those. But I have much more fun with my 14hh coloured cob, which are definitely not my type normally!

pixie27

Visit site
Oh dear! Funny how these things happen...

I went out looking for a mare, 8-10 yrs old, ISH, established eventing schoolmaster type, good to hack.

Came back with a 5 yr old TB gelding, who's done a handful of training events. Luckily he's turned out to be perfect so far, even if he's nothing like what I wanted!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
16hh +
6-9 years old
Ability to go on to do decent riding club level / low level BE stuff
Brave and Bold and willing to carry me a bit confidene wise
Nice nature
Sensible
Quiet enough for the yard kids to bring in from field / move around boxes / muck out / fuss over
Must hack - in company and alone
Happy to go to the beach / all the silly fun places
Absolutely had to load and travel well, both alone and in company.
Nice strong sound irish / warmblood type.

I ended up with a big lanky spindly sports horse with an absolute heart of gold that has the most kind nature.

Annagain

Visit site
1. 100% in ALL traffic
2. 16-16.2hh, middleweight (a big Section D or Sec D x would be my ideal but they're hard to come by)
3. gelding (I'm on a geldings only yard and don['t want to move)
4. nice all rounder, doesn't have to be a superstar just a decent, honest chap
5. hacks alone and in company, goes first or last
6. forward but not silly/strong
7. nice willing jump
8. easy to box/clip/shoe/handle
9. NOT grey

At the moment I have 2 horses who almost fit the bill. A doesn't jump any more but when he did was prone to a stop (was in pain bless him) and M isn't 100% with big traffic on his own but is fine in company. Both are grey -hence not wanting another.

MouseInLux

Visit site
I'm looking at getting a new horse next year, so far this is what I'll look for
Nothing over 10, preferably older than 5
10,000€ or less
Trailers well
Calm to stand (my kids love to groom my horse)
Not too big (1.65 m max)
Jumps up to "L"
Flying changes
Preferably a gelding

I currently have a large pony who's 17. He's great at the moment but I'm looking to move up next year and that will be his max height without pushing him as an 18 year old. I'm hoping his sharer will be interested in buying him at the end of the year.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I'm another one who never seems to buy what's on my checklist :p

When I was bought Rosie (coming off ponies, I was 14)
Approx. 15.2hh (15-16hh)
Over 8-13yo
Been there done that/schoolmaster type
Ability to jump 80-90cm+ SJ
Able to do a decent prelim test
Hacks alone/in company, doesn't have to be bombproof but not nappy/naughty
Preferably a gelding
Not grey/coloured

What did I come home with? Rising 6yo, coloured but mostly white, mare, green as grass, jump like a stag but no brakes whatsoever, flatwork like an unbalanced giraffe, super quirky on the ground and ridden (didn't like rugs, boots, baths, loading, being tied up... the list could continue). She was 15.2hh and was lovely to hack though! Turned out to be my horse of a lifetime and I regret nothing, took a while to work through the various issues but was totally worth it. I completely adored her, always trusted her, we did things I never thought I'd do and she owes me absolutely nothing. The 6 years I had with her were the best.

I lost her to an accident, and a few months afterwards was looking for something new. The list was different this time.
15-16.3hh
7yo or younger (ideally 4-6yo)
Scope to jump up to BE90/100
Competition experience at 80/90cm ideal
Solid XC horse with brakes
Ideally has hunted and behaved itself
Hacks in company, and ideally alone (but would compromise if everything else fitted)
Doing decent prelim tests
Prefer a sport horse/TB type
NOT COLOURED (and preferably not grey)

I actually tried a fair few horses that easily fitted that description, and most behaved perfectly well when I tried them but they just did nothing for me and there was no spark so I didn't go for them (which I think frustrated my parents to no end). Enter Henry. 6yo, grey, 16.2hh, 3/4 ID, had done almost nothing (never hunted or been to a competition), had nice paces but couldn't really canter, hadn't really jumped, had been XC once in his entire life, jumping technique was questionable and he didn't seem to know what to do with his legs, spooky and green. But he was so sweet and a lovely person, and he tried his socks off. I've had him 6months now and we're getting there slowly, things are definitely going in the right direction!

I really enjoy bringing horses on, which is why I think I ended up with projects both times. I also buy very much from feeling, so I can try a horse which on paper is perfect and does nothing wrong but I just don't feel it. I'm the same riding other peoples horses, there's some I just don't like despite the fact they do nothing really wrong...

pennyturner

Visit site
Given as I am usually looking at the very bottom of the market, and prepared to 'fix' most behavioural things, so the 'project' must be:

Male. I have stallions, and do not breed, so can't take a mare.
Sound when trotted up (unless there's a good reason, such as recently removed front shoes)
Kind attitude - although I don't care if it is kicking out in panic. I don't want nasty.
Interested in new things. It can be as spooky as hell, but it must actually LOOK at the dragon. TB types that refuse to look, rear, spin and flee, need not apply :)

Beyond that, I like something with a bit of substance, which is pleasing to the eye and moves well... like anyone else, I suppose. I have a soft spot for Welsh and Hackney types.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
my checklist would be similar to yours pennyturner, except I prefer mares :)

Last time I was actively looking I wanted a 16.2+ TB gelding. Ended up with a 15hh cob x mare. So.... that failed, but I got a horse of a lifetime in Millie.

Kira fell into my lap, I just liked her ears. She has taught me, yet again, that you can often make the most unlikely horse into a fun partner with plenty of time and effort. So checklist will be out of the window when the time comes for another, as long as it meets the wide criteria above :)

SpringArising

Visit site
I find buying very easy as my checklist is very short.

- Must be good in traffic
- Must be sound

And that's me done! Not fussed about much else, I tend to take things as they come.

Height and age wise: 13.2-14.2 and 4-8.

Flame_

Visit site
Mine's unusual and I'm chilling for a few minutes so I may as well share...

14.2 - 15 hands
3 - 6
Pure bred or high percentage part bred arab
Not too leggy (correct term probably "deep bodied/ girthed")
Good feet and legs
Preferably not grey or light chestnut
Preferably male
Pretty :)

Then when I found one I bought him and hoped I could learn to ride him. Its been fun, exciting and occasionally dangerous, but I'd do the same again.

Durhamchance

Visit site
I should be looking within the next couple of years and I already have my list (and I keep window shopping!)

- 14.2 to 15.2hh
- Between 7- 14 years old
- Must be sane and sensible, but forward going
- Sports horse type, no cobs or tb's
- Capable of jumping 1m, a good 'All rounder'
- Not spooky, good to do on the ground (I've got young children)
- Clean limbs, minor quirks accepted.
- Must live in or out and travel well.
- Not coloured!

I thought I would prefer a gelding, but I keep coming across mares I would love to go and view so I'm going to try and keep an open mind :) We've just got to move house and refill the savings pot, then I'll be let loose.

alainax

Visit site
Good feet
Good bone
Kind eye
Decent teeth ( don't mind sharp, but not missing or worn incorrectly)
Mane, tail and coat showing signs of having potential.
Not odd socks :p
Symmetry in general!
Strong conformation
Alert and curious
Sound
No inexplicable or worrying lumps, bumps, skin conditions
No vices
Likes food :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Dream horse = chestnut arab mare (good conformation, good temp and sound goes without saying really).

97a914b4-ec37-432c-82c7-49c69db9e8d6_zpsoqmeb0uu.jpg

The arab on the left is a gelding, the arab mare in the middle was born chestnut, but greyed out and the chestnut mare on the right is 50% TB. So I've consistently got 2 things out of the 3... :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm terrible and it goes like this:

Have I seen its advert on line and fallen madly in love with it to the point I keep coming back and looking at it?
When I ask questions does it sound like it could do I want and like I would get on with it?
When I see it is it sound and nicely put together and does it have presence?
Does it seem like its a nice person and will I enjoy seeing and working with it every day?
Does it look like it needs an upgrade in life and will I enjoy upgrading it?

At this point I tend to ignore anything the current owner says and look at whats in front of me and how it is.

If those boxes are all ticked I buy it and get it home ASAP. I dont mess about. If I like it in person and think I will enjoy having it and like what I see in a short viewing, I buy it and deal with all the rest later. I only buy things that are cheap and either young or green or with easily fixed issues.

I buy cheap and then spend a fortune getting them to where I want them to be, but thats the bit I like the most :) I am a sellers dream! One day it will come back to bite me, but I always work on the principle that this one might not be fixable and factor that in

Leo Walker

Visit site
The only other things that would make it a no go is a previous history of lammi, given recent experience, and anything thats grossly fat and has clearly been grossly fat for a long time, which ties in with the lammi thing

Leo Walker

Visit site
When I went to view my gelding I had written 3 pages of A4 questions to ask etc. Didn't even get it out my pocket!!

Thats the best way to do it! Unless you are a serious competition rider they are a pet first and foremost and the most important thing is you like them and look forward to seeing them every day :D

pennandh

Visit site
Not that I really have the money at the moment, but when I eventually get there the list will probably look something like this:

- Old-fashioned small/lightweight hunter, preferably TBxCB or TBxID
- 15.2hh-16.0hh
- Clean legs
- Dark, solid colour (love a nice seal brown) or roan
- As few white markings as possible
- 7-14 years old
- Low, ground-covering paces
- Ideally a mare
- Sensible in traffic
- To pass 5-stage vetting
- Must not kick, bite, or rear

Obviously, it might be rather hard to find everything, and some points are more negotiable than others, but that would be the ideal.

Beth206

Visit site
This is a brilliant thread :D

When I was looking for my first horse this was my list:
  • Gelding
  • 15h +
  • Been there and done it type
  • Good dooer - live out 24/7
  • Safe out hacking (we have lots of busy roads)

What I actually got was a 3 year old newly backed 14.3 cob mare, sweetest nature, was sold as 'bombproof' and 'acts like a 10 year old' which she isn't and doesn't. I absolutely love her none the less and hope that we will bring out the best in each other over time.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I dont think i ever will have another horse really but if i was to......

16h-17hh This would be negotiable if a nice horse showed up a few inches either side- pref smaller!
5-15 years
Absolutely no preference on colour, unless i was being really fussy then it would be chestnut with a big blaze and 4 socks ;)
Good in traffic, hacks alone and is reasonably sane both alone and in company.
Is healthy and vice free
oh, and the usual good to catch, box show clip because its a nightmare finding out your new horse needs sed's for everything.

SallyBatty

Visit site
Not looking at the moment, but I think mine would be:-

- 15.0hh-15.3hh
- Clean legs
- Dark, solid colour
- 7-14 years old
- Ideally a mare
- Sensible in traffic
- Must hack out sensibly on roads and in open spaces both alone and in company
- Must be easy to bathe, clip and worm
- Must load and travel well in box or trailer
- Must not kick, bite, buck or rear
- Must pass a 5-stage vetting

This is also what I would also have been looking for previously (10 years ago) when I ended up with a 16 year old mare that won't load/travel in a box/trailer (she totally freaks out when you try and close her in) and is an absolute pain to bathe, clip and worm.

russianhorse

Visit site
I'm terrible and it goes like this:

Have I seen its advert on line and fallen madly in love with it to the point I keep coming back and looking at it?
When I ask questions does it sound like it could do I want and like I would get on with it?
When I see it is it sound and nicely put together and does it have presence?
Does it seem like its a nice person and will I enjoy seeing and working with it every day?
Does it look like it needs an upgrade in life and will I enjoy upgrading it?

At this point I tend to ignore anything the current owner says and look at whats in front of me and how it is.

If those boxes are all ticked I buy it and get it home ASAP. I dont mess about. If I like it in person and think I will enjoy having it and like what I see in a short viewing, I buy it and deal with all the rest later. I only buy things that are cheap and either young or green or with easily fixed issues.

I buy cheap and then spend a fortune getting them to where I want them to be, but thats the bit I like the most :) I am a sellers dream! One day it will come back to bite me, but I always work on the principle that this one might not be fixable and factor that in

I've done exactly this �� Just got a Clydesdale x unbroken 2 1/2 1 3 yo. Sellers dream ..... I just looked at him and thought after lots of handling etc, he's going to make a cracking lad ��

Ceriann

Visit site
I've just bought a horse, picking up on Sunday. My list was a little different to usual but my usual lust hasn't worked for me so needs must.

Smaller - ideally under 16h
Safe and sensible in all respects
Done a bit (ideally more than hacking) - some comp experience preferred
Can live out
No ailments or vices - no concerns re cosmetic blemishes
7-12 years old (would flex on upper age limit)

I think I've managed to tick off all the above and more - we'll I hope so!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Mmmm some of these lists make me laugh - not sure that it's the intention but good luck guys but I'm a similar vein I'd be looking for

6 to 8 year old
Irish or Dutch
A horse who's not hot to handle but jumps a be 100
Dressage to inter 1 with scope
Mare but not mare ish
No vices
No funny habits
Must be 100% in traffic
Never ever spooks
Mucks itself out and does poo picking for fun
Never rolls and keeps itself clean
Plaits itself and enjoys having its mane pulled