Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

redapple

Visit site
Not cheeky as such just tragic. http://horses4homes.net/portal/en/details/teddie-12687

Ad last updated oct. 2015, he was 32 then, but that aside, there's this bit: "Horse is involved in the following activities
Companion only, not ridden, Light hacking, Daily hacking, Schooling"

Ummm contradictory much? :confused:

So sad. I'm guessing (and hoping) something changed in the owner's life and they couldnt keep him anymore rather than just trying to 'dump' an old guy. He looks a lovely guy too. Hopefully finds or found a nice companion home somewhere.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The do say in the description that he can be lightly ridden (but currently out of work so that might be questionable) . That is heartbreaking though.

Mrs B

Visit site
So sad. I'm guessing (and hoping) something changed in the owner's life and they couldnt keep him anymore rather than just trying to 'dump' an old guy. He looks a lovely guy too. Hopefully finds or found a nice companion home somewhere.

Poor boy. I winced at the fact that it says 'Maximum weight, 15 stone'. :(

Visit site
I really wish I could take him just to keep him, he has such a lovely face and has clearly given someone his everything for the last 25 years if not longer.

Part of me totally wants him (I first saw him when I was looking for a horse) but the other part of me thinks, if no one applies for him, he will probably die soon (bit macabre I know) and it will at least be somewhere he knows whereas moving a horse that old is likely to be fairly traumatic?

only_me

Visit site
Not cheeky as such just tragic. http://horses4homes.net/portal/en/details/teddie-12687

Ad last updated oct. 2015, he was 32 then, but that aside, there's this bit: "Horse is involved in the following activities

Me thinks they do not want to have to pay to put him down etc.
Poor guy, looks great and shouldn't have to move. There is every chance they know it it his probably his last winter and don't want the hassle.

Showing him over a jump and also stating he is out of work on the page - so unfair for him.
The owner should take responsibility and not just move him somewhere else because it isn't convenient anymore. He doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Just seen this on a local group:

Hi I have a daughter that wants to.look.after a horse and take.to shows she can do everything else for the horse all.she askes is that they move closer to her and pay the grazing for the horse she can do.everything else. Thanks.

So she wants all the benefits of owning a horse but not to pay for them... and her mother is supporting her in this.

SpringArising

Visit site

That's very sad indeed :(

Poor boy. I winced at the fact that it says 'Maximum weight, 15 stone'. :(

I really wish I could take him just to keep him, he has such a lovely face and has clearly given someone his everything for the last 25 years if not longer.

Me thinks they do not want to have to pay to put him down etc.
Poor guy, looks great and shouldn't have to move. There is every chance they know it it his probably his last winter and don't want the hassle.

Showing him over a jump and also stating he is out of work on the page - so unfair for him.
The owner should take responsibility and not just move him somewhere else because it isn't convenient anymore. He doesn't deserve it.

I know, it's so heart breaking. I really would take him if only he weren't so far away. : (

Blimmin hell, judgemental much?

Widgeon

Visit site

Hmm think I might have to agree - looks to me like they're just ticking boxes on a website to say he COULD be a companion only, or he COULD be lightly schooled, hacked etc. It also states that they've had some kind of family upheaval that means they're having to sell him. Still not sure that selling is in his best interests, but perhaps they feel he has a few more happy years in him and they're trying to find someone to provide him with those. It doesn't read like an uncaring "ditching my aged pony" kind of advert to me. It just looks really sad.

Pippity

Visit site
Just seen this on a local group:

Hi I have a daughter that wants to.look.after a horse and take.to shows she can do everything else for the horse all.she askes is that they move closer to her and pay the grazing for the horse she can do.everything else. Thanks.

So she wants all the benefits of owning a horse but not to pay for them... and her mother is supporting her in this.

I wonder if the kid's tried to describe a share arrangement to her non-horsey mother, and the mother hasn't quite understood?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Hmm think I might have to agree - looks to me like they're just ticking boxes on a website to say he COULD be a companion only, or he COULD be lightly schooled, hacked etc. It also states that they've had some kind of family upheaval that means they're having to sell him. Still not sure that selling is in his best interests, but perhaps they feel he has a few more happy years in him and they're trying to find someone to provide him with those. It doesn't read like an uncaring "ditching my aged pony" kind of advert to me. It just looks really sad.

But they are ditching an aged pony. He should be PTS where he is, not passed on to god knows who! People need to take responsibility for their horses and that includes the horrible bit at the end.

redapple

Visit site

Not really. It is sad, I left my elderly mare to go to University, imo it's a different kind of sadness leaving an older horse that you know isn't going off to new adventures. And yes I do presume and hope they were only rehoming an older horse due to extenuating circumstances not just because he was old. Sentimental perhaps but people need to think about looking after older horses after their useful lives, not saying that's what's happening in this particular case but that's probably why people are more critical and suspicious of seeing an ad for an older horse that somebody selling a younger companion.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it is sad because if you have a truely healthy oldie (and he looks pretty good in the pictures, no reason to suggest it is his last winter), that you have potentially had a long time, it must be pretty tough to have to face PTS due to a change in circumstances because it is the only viable option.

only_me

Visit site

I stand by what I said. They should be taking responsibility for such an old pony and not trying to fob him off on someone else. It is not right for a 32 (?) year old pony to move homes and expect him to hack - why did they need to show a pic of him over a cross pole?? And I still think they are doing it because they do not want to PTS themselves.

It would be much kinder to have him PTS when he is healthy and had a great summer, rather than move him to another unknown home and cause more stress. Personally I would rather have him PTS or even let a friend have him in field where I could guarantee his appropriate care than sell him to a stranger. Just not right.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
This is a really judgemental, ignorant view.

I really hope the owner of the horse doesn't see this thread.

I am not in a position to discuss whether the owner is dumping the pony or not, as I do not know anything about the circumstances. However, what I do know is that they are getting rid of a very aged pony who looks to be barefoot and can live out (so very cheap to keep); they also mention that he was in a riding school, meaning he really has given his all to someone for all that time as they are very high mileage ponies.

It's very, very sad regardless of how you look at it.

only_me

Visit site

It's my view and it's not ignorant. I can't believe someone would pass this horse on and not feel bad about it, even passing it on as capable of doing more than able. 15stone limit?? I feel sorry for the horse not the owner.
If you see it differently that's your view but it isn't going to change mine. The horse deserves more.

Widgeon

Visit site
I am not in a position to discuss whether the owner is dumping the pony or not, as I do not know anything about the circumstances.....It's very, very sad regardless of how you look at it.

Yes, agreed, not sure we can say much more than that, but it is definitely sad. And all the people who say PTS would be kinder have a good point. Perhaps this is still seen as a less good option though? I'm not saying that's right (in fact I think it's probably wrong) but judging by the number of oldies "desperately seeking" a kind companion home for their last few years, it would seem that an awful lot of people are reluctant to put down old horses rather than sell on - and I'm not convinced it's always because they're selfish or greedy. I think it's more likely that they are judging the situation from a human viewpoint (i.e. death is the worst) rather than that of the horse. More education needed maybe? Not that it's exactly easy trying to make people think about death at the best of times.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I know it must be autumn because there are loads of old, lame horses looking for forever homes as companions only on our local pages

So very, very sad!!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I wonder if the kid's tried to describe a share arrangement to her non-horsey mother, and the mother hasn't quite understood?

Lots of people really do expect a share horse to be moved to a yard closer to them. Asking for the owner to pay it's grazing and saying the daughter wants to look after it, I'd bet they're the sort of people who think the livery fee is the only real cost. I've seen quite a lot of people like this, the pony's wormers, farrier, rugs, feed etc are only bought/paid for long overdue, after as much pestering as the child dares, because they're worried the parents will send the pony back.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site

Why do you think this is an ignorant view? Surely it is our responsibility to care for an old horse if they belong to us when they reach that age. I agree there could be extenuating circumstances that mean the owner can no longer care for the horse but then PTS would probably be a much kinder, responsible option. I don't think it is judgemental to expect owners to be responsible for any animal they have chosen to own as they get old. Perhaps people view horses differently and as soon as their use ends it's time to pass them on? Personally I think that is irresponsible and very unkind.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Just seen one on facebook for a 10 month cob for full loan for a few months or up to a year, as a companion but you are welcome to do some ground work and walking out in hand if you want to. Really?

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Just seen one on facebook for a 10 month cob for full loan for a few months or up to a year, as a companion but you are welcome to do some ground work and walking out in hand if you want to. Really?

Probably want someone to pay & care for cob during the winter months as they don't want the hassle or cost over the cold, dark wet months. A soon as spring comes round they'll want it back!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
latest-I promised to move my friend's horse on saturday morning, does anyone have a lorry I can borrow please'.

mind boggles really.

I saw that and wondered :D

I also saw mountain horse boots for sale for 35. Some small damage. Pic of damage had a finger poking through the heel and the crease at the front was also cracked right through. 35 quid!! It was the bin they needed!

cally23

Visit site
Hi I have a daughter that wants to.look.after a horse and take.to shows she can do everything else for the horse all.she askes is that they move closer to her and pay the grazing for the horse she can do.everything else.