Cheeky/ridiculous posts you see on Facebook.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just seen this cracker:
Looking for an experienced horse breaker, to part loan my beautiful female cob, who will be 3years old this august, has never been ridden or driven, has been bride and head collar led and has been brought into manners, but not worked yet, hence needing experience.

I saw that one too - is breaking a service that an owner would normally pay for? There did seem to be people interested though.

conniegirl

Visit site
I saw that one too - is breaking a service that an owner would normally pay for? There did seem to be people interested though.
Yes normally if you want someone else to back your pony you pay through the nose for it

Eta the last time i had one professionally broken prices were between £180 to £250 a week and a minimum 6 weeks expected

Last edited:

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Surely if they want someone else to do it (for free) then it's likely to be either because they don't know what they are doing, or because they know the horse is a handful- if it's the latter then they are basically asking for someone to be a free crash-test dummy!

ihatework

Visit site
Wow okay so that's a lot of money to forgo if you're a professional breaker then!

No professional breaker would answer that advert. What they would get is a clueless wannabe!! Who may through sheer luck get away without doing lasting damage or may be the subject of the next post the owner makes ‘can I sue my sharer for ruining my horse’

conniegirl

Visit site
I have very tentatively put an advert to part loan (to stay on current yard) Cobbus on a couple facebook groups, i am not desperate for someone but it would be nice to have the odd day off and some help when my asthma gets on top of me.

received a pm and a friend request asking if i’d full loan him to move to London. Coupled with a profile picture of a too tall girl on a very skinny pony who’s head was yanked in and tied down with a whole tackroom worth of gadgets.

Erm that would be a NO! Even if i were looking to full loan, that picture alone would have me running in the other direction!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Saw an advert for a horse to share which made me raise a (granted, inexperienced) brow from the accompanying videos but I scrolled on past because it clearly wasn't for me. About 10 mins later I'm scrolling through TikTok and randomly come across this same horse! Turns out it's got its own blog too which mostly consists of the owner documenting all the ways it's a d*ckhead and has 'tried to kill' her - including photos of a nasty looking bite! To be fair the ad seemed reasonably honest, I just hope a nice experienced rider goes for him but again wonder if it's one of those where really the owner should be paying for a skilled person - even if I were such a person I don't think I'd want to pay to be kicked and bitten by someone else's horse.

dominobrown

Visit site
Not horse related but...
Trying to sell one of our 13 (yes, I know) cars, put very clearly in the ad that it’s for sale as it doesn’t get used and we have too many cars.
First message: will you swap it for two Discoveries (worth about 6k less than the car). No.
Second message: will you swap for a Freelander. No.
Third message: will you swap for a Nissan people carrier, it doesn’t run but I’m sure it’s a minor problem. NO.
Fourth message: will you drive it to Essex (I and car are in Swansea) so I can try it? Wtf NO you mentalist.

I’ve removed the ad now, can’t be doing with morons who think they’re doing me a favour by trying to rip me off
I was trying sell a Toyota yaris for £650, had one lady really interested... offered £550 delivered. I asked where she was... south Kent... I am in Cumbria... would I deliver as it was a bit far... bit far? Like 10 hour drive one way too far????? Then had someone ask if they would swap it for an aygo which was older. Unfortunately I get very sarcastic in my replies which I think ruffled a few feathers... oops ?

Sleipnir

Visit site
Yesterday's gem was a young lady wanting a saddle for her ex-racer...£50 max!!!! Didn't want to 'waste' more as horse has going to grow and change.....well yes dear but the money you spend on your horses welfare is never a waste!!!!

I was once selling a recent, but older saddle, so it was on the cheap side (not 50, though!!). Somebody wanted to buy it immediately without even asking anything about the measurments and without trying it on the horse - "because he's just a youngster and it doesn't matter what you use as a breaking saddle"...

Griffin

Visit site
I've seen quite a few adverts recently where people are advertising their horse for loan to be 'backed' by a loaner, looks like they are wanting to have their horse brought on for free and then reap the benefits. Not sure why anyone would want to do it for no reward!

A non-horsey friend of mine rang me last year to ask if I would back a horse for an elderly lady who she had taken under her wing. The lady wanted the horse backed so she could sell it for more money and my friend had said I would know what to do (I have no idea how to back a horse). I explained that backing a horse requires more skills and knowledge than I had and this elderly lady was trying to profit for no outlay. I was still surprised by the cheek of it.

Pippity

Visit site
I've seen quite a few adverts recently where people are advertising their horse for loan to be 'backed' by a loaner, looks like they are wanting to have their horse brought on for free and then reap the benefits. Not sure why anyone would want to do it for no reward!

I've seen people looking for sharers for foals/yearlings - for financial contribution and chores! I suppose it might be worth it if it's a top-class youngster who could be out showing, but they're mostly extremely ordinary little things.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've seen people looking for sharers for foals/yearlings - for financial contribution and chores! I suppose it might be worth it if it's a top-class youngster who could be out showing, but they're mostly extremely ordinary little things.

Yes I've noticed there seems to be quite a few of these - they seem to get interest though, although sometimes I wonder if it's the right kind of interest (i.e. kids getting a bit desperate in their search - which I can relate to I just probably have a higher sense of self-preservation and strong desire not to mess up a young horse's start in life!)

I saw a good for sale ad yesterday. Accompanied by a single picture - of two horses...from the back while they had their heads in a trough/bucket. Which horse is it for sale and what does it look like?!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
? ? looking for ? ? Soul use or diy livery We are a small stud Looking for 5/6 stables with grazing...etc

I know it's not as ridiculous as most on this thread but I can't get past "soul use". Anyone got a yard they need haunting?

Or maybe they want to play some Diana Ross or Michael Jackson whilst mucking out:p

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Basically you pay to muck out and groom someone's horse err no thanks you have to admire the cheek of these people though.

Courbette

Visit site
I've seen 2 this week. First an ad looking for a loaner for a newly backed rising 3 year old entire that will also be required to be standing at stud during the loan. Poor horse being backed before his 3rd birthday and then he is a dubious candidate for a stallion.

Second add for a horse that I liked the look of but was described as occasionally bolting (I assume running away) but the seller was quick to reassure it was only the school. Quick scroll of the sellers social media and he bolted/ran away recently while hacking through a housing estate. I would say I'd have at least made my account private if it contradicted my ad but the horse sold anyway.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I saw one earlier which was someone saying they wanted a horse with potential for 2* but budget was £2,500...

On a different note, a few years ago I offered FREE riding for any half-decent kid (or small adult) for a fabulous pony I had. Totally free, didnt expect any money or for them to poo pick etc. Just wanted the pony exercised so its weight could be kept down, even offered to take them to events if they fancied it all for free! I didnt even get one message... crazy.

Visit site
I saw one earlier which was someone saying they wanted a horse with potential for 2* but budget was £2,500...

I saw that ? I know of one that is exactly what she is asking for - even being down to being steel grey. But the owner is asking 3-4x her budget. I did reply to one of her ads suggesting she could buy into him and have the fun of being an eventing owner with an established eventer but she wants to do it all herself.

I think she pulled the ad from Borders when she was told she was deluded and most certainly wouldn't get what she was asking for for that money ...

Courbette

Visit site

On a different note, a few years ago I offered FREE riding for any half-decent kid (or small adult) for a fabulous pony I had. Totally free, didnt expect any money or for them to poo pick etc. Just wanted the pony exercised so its weight could be kept down, even offered to take them to events if they fancied it all for free! I didnt even get one message... crazy.

I’ve heard Valegro was £5k as a young horse so maybe she/he fancied their chances ?

holeymoley

Visit site
I'm helping a friend shop for a new pony. I stumbled across the saddest ad, Horsequest Ref #: 235094. 29 yr old that has been in the same home since 4 now being sold as a ridden pony. So many things that reinforce my promise to mine that they're with me for life (nobody else would want the beggars anyway).

That’s a really bizarre one. I can’t imagine why now they decide to sell him. I know we’ve fell on hard times but surely it would be kinder to pts .

maisie06

Visit site
I thought £1 to a genuine home who will keep her as a companion if she doesn't stay sound in work or PTS if they can't keep her (or find a loan home) down the line in the future. That would actually be a really good outcome for this little mare. She's one that could easily get trapped in the downwards spiral.

If she were mine I would PTS if I couldn't keep her, not fair to sell her on.