Cheltenham Day 2 - Clash of the Titans!

Visit site
Will Shishkin keep his 100% record or can Energumene turn the tables?

The Brown Advisories was touted as a race between Bravemansgame and Ahoy Senor but L'Homme Presse seems to be the forgotten horse in the pack. Though if Hank jumps as well as he can do Bravemansgame shouldn't trouble him.

The other big question of the day is Tiger Roll. He loves Cheltenham, he loves the cross country course, cane he win it one last time? I know his retirement is not 100% set in stone and I do believe the press and the public are doing their utmost to put pressure on connections to make sure it is his last run. I hope they listen, it might bring them a step closer to be back in racing's OK graces then. I would dearly, dearly love to see the wee man pick up his unprecedented 6th Festival win.

Smitty

Visit site
I am rooting for Shishkin. Love the horse and hope Nicky shuts all the doubters up again, plus I have my William Hill free £2.00 on him and they seem to have taken the money out of my account ? They must have realised by now my max bet is only ever 50p ??

Clodagh

Visit site
Tiger Roll is very pretty. ?. I hope he finishes safe and sound. I hope he doesn’t win as you may all realise I loathe his connections.
? for Shishkin, come on the Brits!
And of course my boy in the Ballymore. I bought into him as I love his dam. I’m bricking it! How do proper owners cope!? (That’s Stage Star btw ?).

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm another who hopes Tiger Roll is finally retired safe and sound

I'm another who loathes his connections and unfortunately I think if he wins they're greedy enough to make him have to do it all over again next year. Pulled up early and they may finally be forced to retire him. Imagine if something happened to him...

Bradsmum

Visit site
Tiger Roll is very pretty. ?. I hope he finishes safe and sound. I hope he doesn’t win as you may all realise I loathe his connections.
? for Shishkin, come on the Brits!
And of course my boy in the Ballymore. I bought into him as I love his dam. I’m bricking it! How do proper owners cope!? (That’s Stage Star btw ?).

My brother also bought into Stage Star, it was a step up for him I believe so sad that he had to be pulled up so close to the finish. I know Paul Nicholls thinks a lot of him so hopefully he will step up to the mark next time out.

xDundryx

Visit site
Paul Nicholls fuming on ITV interview. Going to be an interesting race, fingers crossed they all jump and come home safe.

bonny

Visit site
I did Ashdale Bob. He was so lovely to watch, such a shame for him, jock and Jessica.

Winner not getting a huge reception though and nobody seems particularly thrilled ...
That’s because he was 50 to 1 and it’s a handicap

Visit site
That’s because he was 50 to 1 and it’s a handicap

This. No one backed him hence his price. Favourites or short priced winners get a bigger reception because people want to go and cheer their cash maker back in. Most people at Cheltenham are there for the booze, gambling and to say they have been. They have no interest in the horses, trainers or their pasts so long as they win them money.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Wonder how many people will get covid from those massive crowds ?

I like a day at the races but I don't think I'd want to go to the Cheltenham festival, as I'm short and rammed in all those people you can't be able to see that much - much better watching on the telly

Smitty

Visit site
This. No one backed him hence his price. Favourites or shit priced winners get a bigger reception because people want to go and cheer their cash maker back in. Most people at Cheltenham are there for the booze, gambling and to say they have been. They have no interest in the horses, trainers or their pasts so long as they win them money.

Yeah, I realise that but I thought the tv crew were a bit so so. Just my impression I expect.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Some of the bets they report are obscene money

Wonder if the ground got Shishkin, or maybe that huge fight he had with Energumene took a lot out of him

Visit site
Shishkin wasn't going right from the start. He looked OK cantering back so hopefully there are no underlying issues and he is just having an off day as that was a very poor showing from him today.

Energumene wasn't flawless but he did it well. I was shouting home Venetia's horse again. She has been in absolutely flying form in recent weeks so that can only bode well for the Gold Cup on Friday.