cheltenham

Orangehorse

Visit site
Poor Ruby. He must be well known at Cheltenham Hospital. He was in there when he damaged his spleen before Christmas a few years ago.

Also there was a consultant on the radio once who said they are very good at hand injuries at Cheltenham, due to the number of rider injuries they have to cope with!

Hope all the jockeys recover well and good wishes to them.

BigBuck's

Visit site
Missed ll of That What Happened to The Horses and Jockey's That fell?

All the horses are fine apart from Briar Hill who has a small fracture of the eyesocket.

Jockeys are a different story. Ruby fell when leading in the first, was trampled and will miss the rest of the season with a compound fracture of the humerus. Paul Townend was brought down in that fall, rode in the next race but then stood himself down as he discovered he'd sustained a shoulder injury in the first race fall. Daryl Jacob's stirrup leather snapped in the first race and he rode the last two hurdles without stirrups to finish fourth, he then won the second race and was cantering down to the start for the third when his horse spooked, crashed through the running rail and Daryl fell onto the tarmac.

It's turned into a very weird day, you couldn't make it up.

Visit site
We have a lad riding in the Foxhunters just now - Jamie Lyttle on 100/1 shot Croan Rock. We give him a fair bit of stick but fair play to the lad he has a ride at Cheltenham. I have to say I am surprised he is up front as he usually goes 5 wide out the back keeping out of trouble on everything he rides no matter his instructions.

Last edited:
Visit site
Jaimie pulled up - sensibly as the horse gave him what looked to be an awesome spin for a circuit and a bit before tiring quickly after making a mistake.

Centauress

Visit site
All the horses are fine apart from Briar Hill who has a small fracture of the eyesocket.

Jockeys are a different story. Ruby fell when leading in the first, was trampled and will miss the rest of the season with a compound fracture of the humerus. Paul Townend was brought down in that fall, rode in the next race but then stood himself down as he discovered he'd sustained a shoulder injury in the first race fall. Daryl Jacob's stirrup leather snapped in the first race and he rode the last two hurdles without stirrups to finish fourth, he then won the second race and was cantering down to the start for the third when his horse spooked, crashed through the running rail and Daryl fell onto the tarmac.

It's turned into a very weird day, you couldn't make it up.

Thank You BigBucks

Best Wishes to All that Fell.....

BigBuck's

Visit site
Daryl Jacob broken his elbow, knee and leg.

Davy Russell rides a treble, including two for Gigginstown after being sacked by them earlier in the season.

What a day.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Daryl Jacob broken his elbow, knee and leg.

Davy Russell rides a treble, including two for Gigginstown after being sacked by them earlier in the season.

What a day.

You wouldn't believe it if it happened in a book.

On the bright side at least Ruby Walsh won't fall off in that hurdle race on National day now, I can't remember what the race is called but he's been seriously injured in it twice. Talk about hard as nails though, walking off the course with that kind of injury.

BigBuck's

Visit site
You wouldn't believe it if it happened in a book.

On the bright side at least Ruby Walsh won't fall off in that hurdle race on National day now, I can't remember what the race is called but he's been seriously injured in it twice. Talk about hard as nails though, walking off the course with that kind of injury.

The Aintree Hurdle. Ironically, both times he broke his arm.

Sadly Raya Star confirmed as a fatality; such a shame.

Clodagh

Visit site
Is it just me or are Mullin's horses looking a tad porky today?!

I'm so glad you said that as I thought that too but decided WM knew more about racehorses than me!
Shocking day for jockeys, poor Daryl Jacob. Money on him getting the boot by Paul Nicholls at the end of the season?
Raya Star - so sad, he was a lovely horse. It did look like he broke his neck so fingers crossed it was at least quick.

Davy Russell behaved, as always, like a gent today, I'm so pleased for him but I LOATHE Michael O' Leary...the only person I dislike more is Richi Rich!

armchair_rider

Visit site
I doubt PN will give Daryl Jacobs the boot for the simple reason that there probably isn't anyone much better available to replace him. Plus it isn't Daryl's fault that PN's yard is at a bit of a low ebb at the moment, he just doesn't have as many good horses as he had 3 or so years ago.

Visit site
I agree, PN simply doesn't have the fire power he used to. It's not often you get a yard FULL of superstars. He had his, then it moved onto Henderson who had a year or 2 of top flight horses and now Mullins has taken on the mantle of having a good string. It will move onto someone else in a few years I expect.

scotlass

Visit site
Having watched the replay of the Foxhunter's, it was miraculous that Ganbei managed to get up and canter off, having fallen and on getting up, being struck full force on the side of the head by Divine Intavention unseating his rider.

The highlights of the Festival for me were Sire de Grugy, Vautour, Quevega and the beautiful grey Dynaste

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes I love Dynaste, lovely little horse. Tom Scu is such a nice person too. (Or seems it in interviews).

I am glad you think Daryl's job is safe, I hope so but PN does have a bit of a record with jockeys. I don't think Noel Fehily would want to go back to him full time.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I can't stand owners [those who have no idea] insisting on grabbing a horse by the reins and dragging it to the winners enclosure.
The lad is in charge of the animal and will lose his job if anything happens, the horse has just run three miles, some of them need to throw their heads around after a race, excitement or stiff muscles.