Cheltenham

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
no need to be sarcastic!!!!!,
i am not a fluffy bunny and am not against racing , in fact i watch it regularly and know that horses legs are fragile and they CAN break even without fences i am trying to be realistic regarding the national....

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
when you tack up your horse to ride it in the morning the chances of it having a fatal accident during work are somewhat different to a young not fully mature horse galloping at full speed over fences in a gang of other horses all trying beat it in an environment the horse is not used to.
Of course, you are right.

Its rather like the argument of the climber scaling a mountain without ropes and when you say "that's dangerous" they turn round and reply 'well you could get run over by a bus'. Doh.

Templebar

Visit site
I feel like the problem is we have created a rod off our own backs. Everyone said make the jumps smaller and safer so what happens they go even faster, the horses are more lightweight and bred even more for speed rather than horses 10 or more years ago.

bonny

Visit site
no need to be sarcastic!!!!!,
i am not a fluffy bunny and am not against racing , in fact i watch it regularly and know that horses legs are fragile and they CAN break even without fences i am trying to be realistic regarding the national....
I wasn’t being sarcastic, either we keep the grand national or we don’t but it cannot change anymore and still be a unique race.

Mariposa

Visit site
Horses break legs on the flat, they break them over jumps. It is heartbreaking to those who care for them and love them. But it is part and parcel of racing, in fact ANY equestrian sport - in fact it is just a fact of horses. Look at Vautour - that amazing chaser broke a leg in the field. It happens and it's just very very sad. Sir Erec just had me in floods, just very sad.

And as for the Grand National - I can take it or leave it. I love the Topham though! And the Aintree Bowl and Aintree Hurdle - much more exciting than the National!