Chestnuts and ergots

HorseyTee

Visit site
My welshie has massive chestnuts and even bigger ergots...they are huge!

How do you go about removing them? I'm worried I'll hurt him if I pull at them.
I'm more concerned about the ergots as they are curled so don't want them catching on anything.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Oh ok.
In all the years the farrier has never touched them.
The chestnuts get massive then tend to drop off themselves but the ergots have grown and grown...like little foot horns lol.

We have farrier on 3rd June so will get them sorted then.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My farrier thought I should do them myself, so I do. My horse’s ergots look like exploded mushroom stalks if left too long, horrible! They’re very easy to remove using normal secateurs. You might need ones that open quite wide.

On mine, I cut quite close to the leg, but if you’re concerned, treat it like you were cutting dog nails, do slices. I was told they might bleed if you cut too close, but tbh, you’d have to be practically up against the leg to manage that, ime. Obviously, the horse feels nothing.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
My cob has ergots like curly fingers, the chestnuts I'm fine with pulling off but his ergots give me the creeps. My farrier cuts them off for me, with only a little bit of mickey taking 😀

HorseyTee

Visit site
Haha!
Mushroom stalks and curly fingers....yep they are literally like that!
I will live in hope that the farrier will cut them off for me next week haha.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Whhhaaaaaattttt? Mushroom stalks and curly fingers?

I feel like I'm missing out as it must be so satisfying cutting those off, but my horses all shed theirs naturally so they stay small.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Whhhaaaaaattttt? Mushroom stalks and curly fingers?

I feel like I'm missing out as it must be so satisfying cutting those off, but my horses all shed theirs naturally so they stay small.
Ewwww no they are gross. My WB who only grows bumfluff feathers sheds hers. But the tufty footed welsh girl grows some utter horrors.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I certainly find that the ones that I trim/clip their legs, their ergots drop off neatly. And the ones who grow fluffy heels need a bit of maintenance. I can only assume that the feathers protect the ergots from dew etc so they aren't softened - Kiras turn really hard wheres the others tend to be softer textured so they flake off naturally.

Snowfilly

Visit site
My Clyde used to grow the most revolting ergots. The farrier would nip them off but they grew much faster than hooves and I used to cut them in between as well. Gross.

Every heavy I've known has bad ones, I think it jus be related to feather length.

On the Hoof

Visit site
My last mare had very little feather but the moist revolting exploded mushroom ergots which made me feel sick to look at never mind touch, luckily farrier was most obliging. Her chestnuts also grew very large, moisten them with a little oil round the base and they will pull off nice and easily.

Lyle

Visit site
I've found coating the ergots and chestnuts in vaseline for a few days makes them soft enough to gently pull away. My WB gets fairly large ones, which need to be removed so I can trim his fetlock hairs into shape. I've found this works, otherwise have heard you can use nippers to gently nip them off.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Hmm my tb doesn't have any at all. And his chestnuts never get big either really.
But the native and the welshie who are both rather hairy get massive ones.
The welshie is the one with the gigantic ergots. I'll have to get a photo lol.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Oh, so there could be a link between amount of feather and size of ergots?

Quite possibly, mine’s a hairy h/w cob. My tb never needed hers doing, really, nor my warmblood.

I’m glad my exploded mushroom stalk analogy is permeating!

The yard dogs are very keen on the bits I chuck over the door. Ick!

Twohorses

Visit site
I use a hoof knife to slice the chestnuts off, then rub mineral oil into them so they don't itch.

I use short handled shoe nail cutters to cut the ergots but the hoof knife would probably work just as well.

FWIW, left and right handled hoof knives can be bought :)

Sleipnir

Visit site
My geldings' chestnuts are quite large (never the ergots), but they seem to shed naturally after a while and never look like exploded mushroom stalks. I sometimes just peel them off and he doesn't mind. :)

deb_l222

Visit site
Ooooh love this thread!! Lucy’s chestnuts used to sort of split in the middle when they were ready for shedding. It was like picking a wonderfully big scab :)

Tommy Clydesdale’s ergots used to be left to the farrier, mainly because I didn’t have the tools or the strength to get through those monsters

Visit site
My Fell pony used to get fantastic ergots all round! One of my shetland geldings grows huge chestnuts on his front legs and the wee filly gets long ergots on her hind legs. I just trim them off to a suitable length. They don't care!

HorseyTee

Visit site
Haha love that everyone else has these weird horns to tackle.

I will get the farrier to do it this time and then try and be brave and do it myself next time.