Chico colic surgery update

attheponies

Visit site
Hoping so much that all goes well with your gorgeous boy's recovery and that perhaps knowing just how many of us out there are thinking of you both will help support you through the coming hours.

Sadiemay

Visit site
I haven't had the heart to participate on HHO since I lost my precious girl last July, but I do lurk occasionally.

But right now I have to say I have EVERYTHING crossed for a good recovery for dear Chico. He is one of my favourite horses.

Thinking of you both.

Sadiemay

Native Speaker

Visit site
Keeping everything crossable, crossed. Hoping that he's on the road to recovery and he'll be home with you very soon.

Waiting is, without doubt, the hardest part.

(((((Hugs))))) for you, and some <<<<<vibes>>>>> for Chico.

Marydoll

Visit site
Its great news he coped with the surgery :)
Its great news he's up and about
He's doing well, it sounds like adhesions and theyve released them, he sounds like a real fighter, and im keeping everything x'd for the lovely chico sending healing vibes for a good recovery

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Its great news he coped with the surgery :)
Its great news he's up and about
He's doing well, it sounds like adhesions and theyve released them, he sounds like a real fighter, and im keeping everything x'd for the lovely chico sending healing vibes for a good recovery

yes it was adhesions. Something left over from his castration was wrapped around his small colon and has been for several years, looping it into a horseshoe shape and it was all stuck together with sticky stuff apparently.
Last night his small intestine some how became stuck to the sticky stuff too and managed to obstruct the small colon and set everything off.

The vet said that even though they separated everything up that the fact he has had it so long and that it was so sticky that it was very probable that the small colon will revert back to its pre-operation state.

If he is lucky the small colon will remain free and he wont colic again, but vet wasnt very optimistic about it. Chico apparently has a very high chance of colic again and the vets wont operate again as they know they wont be able to fix the problem.

I am just waiting now to see if his gut settles or if it is damaged beyond repair :(

Enfys

Visit site
I am sure that quite a few of us have been in the position you are in now and have every sympathy, my mare was at Rossdales 20 years ago for surgery and made a full recovery, went on to race, have 4 foals, and hunt for another 12 years afterwards so there is hope.

Best wishes for a full and uneventful recovery, and I am thinking of you, so horrid just to have to sit and wait it out and not be able to do much at all. Good Luck.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Oh PMP huge hugs to you and your boy.
He seems like a lively, strong lad and he's up on his feet now so take it one step at a time and just keep your fingers crossed.
I'll be thinking of you x
K x

eggs

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you and Vhico. I know how you are feeling as I have had two go through colic surgery. Very sadly one din't make it through post op recovery but the second sailed through and is back out eventing.