Children messing with my horse

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have been stewing on this for the past month or so since being told and want to know your thoughts please.

Ed is fear aggressive, he has clearly been abused somewhere in his past and is terribly foul in the stable. Originally he was kept in the inner barn, with his top grille closed, to protect people from him. Until one day a little child (bless her
mad.gif
) decided to antagonise him through the bars and when he inevitable, went for her, she smacked him
mad.gif

So helpful YO moved him to a row of boxes away from the main run, so he could have some peace. Over the months now he has settled and will let certain people handle him if they are gentle. He no longer needs his grille closed but i do have a sign up saying dont touch.

SAME child was around his stable (where she shouldnt be) again and when she antagonised him, he, yes you got it, went for her - so she smacked him and taunted him. (Not a good idea as he will come over the stable door if he's taunted)

Now I am not happy with this for a few reasons, said child has form - she should know better than to be anywhere near him, said child should not even be around his stable and lastly i don't agree with children disciplining my horse.

What would you do now?

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Have you spoken to her parents?? That is absolutely outrageous and you must not stand for it!

I would be having a very stern conversation with them, perhaps with the YO present.
mad.gif

Poor Ed!
frown.gif

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Do you know this child? How old is she? Either talk to her about her safety, say its cruel to 'pick' on a horse and the rule is don't touch other peoples horses unless told that they can.
Failing that, do you know her parents? Talk to them.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Speak to her parents, speak to the yard owner, lay into her with a schooling whip (ok probably last one not a good idea). Have you spoken to her directly? Asked her what exactly she is doing? Perhaps just being confronted about it might stop her doing it?

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
smack the child!!
frown.gif
grin.gif
hehe JOKING!

id say explain to yo this is not really acceptable, you appreciated her moving him to a more peacful environment and it has helped him tremendously, but this child is obviously not obeying the rules of the yard, and is behaving in a truly unacceptable manner.
You have a sign up saying do not touch, she has been bitten by him before, and you won't be happy if her parents then turn around to have a go at you for your horse doing this even though she has had warnings (from you and the horse!)

Its difficult as approaching the parents directly yourself could lead to emotional confrontation, so id think doing it as a team with YO is the best approach.

Brat!
tongue.gif
(her not u!) poor pony, hope he got her a good one!
wink.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
What would I do? Move my horse to somewhere where he could live in peace without brats like that setting him back time and again. Or get your YO to kick the kid off the yard.

What a horrible situation, you must be absolutely spitting feathers over this.

M_G

Visit site
I would have a word with YO & TBH if she is messing with your horse how many others is she messing about with.... If I were you I would want to see her off the yard if it continues

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
12 years old is old enough to know better. But I really wouldn't talk to the parents about it as it could easily end in disaster! I'd be mortified if any child of mine ever did anything like this but some parents will spring to the defensive straight away and it could get nasty. Let the YO talk to them and as long as she is on your side, then she needs to reinforce the message to the parents and the girl.

sjmcc

Visit site
mad.gif
mad.gif
1st off id go to the YO and then id be waiting for this brat with her mother in tow and boy would i give her and the mother a telling of how it is n how its going to be . id be like a bare with a sore head . open the door and threw her in his stable
grin.gif
probably not . but if i found out eney one raised a hand to myn put it one way theyd never be found eney were near his door again . and if it doesnt stop id be telling YO ID HAVE TO LOOK ELSE WERE . youv moved him once because of the brat whats she doing back near him again . thats something i always look for when i go to view there arent to many young kids on

Kayfm

Visit site
I would speak to the girl, her parents and yo asap. its not good for your horsie and this girl could get hurt. Silly little girl, why is she attracted to aggravating your horse ?

cindydog

Visit site
How did you find out ? get whoever seen this go with you and tell y/o and hope they will give warning that they will not tolarate anyone interfering with anothers horse to both parents and child any more of this and they are out,,,maybe you should put up another sign saying MY HORSE EATS LITTLE GIRLS FOR BREAKFAST....
grin.gif

Charmaine18

Visit site
That is dreadful! 12 is definitely old enough to know better, she sounds like a nasty little brat. Hope she ends up with nine fingers if she does that again...
smirk.gif
I too would have a word with the YO before confronting the parents (unfortunately some parents just cannot seem to face the idea of their little darling doing anything wrong
mad.gif
), and definitely tell the child off if you catch her in the act! I work, and keep Scooby, at a riding school so obviously there are often children around - but the kids and their parents all know full well that if the kids do anything naughty, they can expect to be yelled at by anyone and everyone!
tongue.gif
Lots of kids, no matter how bratty they are for their parents, get terrified when they're told off by a different adult... you never know, that might be all it takes.

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I'd antagonise the child then slap her to see if she likes it lol! let him loose so he does damage to the child!!
Tie her hands behind her back and stand her in front of his stable!!
On a more serious note of course poor pony what a shame, I would firstly get cctv of her antics then phone the BHS for advice as she is clearly making your horse worse and there may be a legal case against her parents for not supervising their brat.

Tickles

Visit site
Out of curiosity I assume that if you'd seen these incidents developing you'd have stopped her? Wonder why whoever did see (and tell you?) didn't say anything... I get told off by all and sundry if accidentally doing somethign daft (nicely!) and ask for all sorts of help too on our yard... and I'm 30!

ladyt25

Visit site
I'd lock said child in stable with horse then he can get his own back! lol

Ok, maybe not the solution but I would certainly speak to whoever it is who's told you this and take them with you to speak to YO. If they do not do anything then you may have to speak to the parents. Crappy situation to be in really. sounds like the littel swine needs a taste of her own medicine. Maybe actually you should approach her and ask her why she feels the need to do this to your horse?

It would be interesting to hear what she has to say and whether she is aware people know what she has been doing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
12 years old is old enough to know better. But I really wouldn't talk to the parents about it as it could easily end in disaster! I'd be mortified if any child of mine ever did anything like this but some parents will spring to the defensive straight away and it could get nasty. Let the YO talk to them and as long as she is on your side, then she needs to reinforce the message to the parents and the girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It is definitely the YO's place to stop this behaviour. She should ask this child to leave if this behaviour continues.
If (God forbid) we ever had liveries I should have arule that children were not allowed on the yard without a responsible adult.

Kenzo

Visit site
Speak to child, her parents and the YO all in the same day, you have every right to involve all three, this way everyone knows where they stand.

She is old enough to know better, old enough to listen to you, her parents and the YO, if nothing is ever said or they are not made a fool off and learn from there stupity then god help us all.

Like you say this is the second time this has happend, one time too many, don't be afraid to speak up, its the mature thing to do, just a have a calm and polite conversation with all three, hopefully that will be the end of it.

If people don't like a horse, why do they proceed to hang around it all the time and point out how evil they are....''buggar off if you don't like him because he obvioulsy doesnt care much for you either!'' get em told!

arhh dont get me started!

DunRoamin

Visit site
How old is the chiild?? small, teen or tween?? to be honest and people can and will disagree with this but the way we handle things on my yard and where i used to work, is if it bites it gets a slap, wether a reason for it or not. but then the kid would get a bollocking too.

indiat

Visit site
I would tackle the issue with the parents, child and YO - you might be surprised at the parents attitude. My small children come to the yard with me at weekends and it is hard to watch them every second (my four year old in particular takes EVERY opportunity to bugger off on her own). But if some one told me one of my kids had done anything like this, I'd cheerfully throttle them. It should be a rule on every yard - do not touch or feed other people's animals, no matter how old you are!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Both times were seen by separate people. No-one says anything to her, I guess because she is quite (well I know she is someone elses delight) but rude.

I think I will speak to my YO and get her to sort it, I simply couldn't get into a confrontation myself as the first thing i said when i was told was

"I'll break her effing fingers"...

I am fiecely defensive of my horse - its humans who made him how he is and I'm damned if anyone will ever make him feel frightened again.

brucea

Visit site
All children in yards should have to wear those shock collars you get for dogs.

Then if they are misbehaving you can grab the remote control and give 'em a good jolt.

It would be good training for them, and therapy for you.

(Not serious, don't go reporting me to Childline)

Vicki1986

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What would I do? Move my horse to somewhere where he could live in peace without brats like that setting him back time and again. Or get your YO to kick the kid off the yard.

What a horrible situation, you must be absolutely spitting feathers over this.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. nice child, not. if she ignores the dont touch sign then what other mischief is she up to !

if the YO does not take the situation in hand i'd look elsewhere. once isnt good but ok, twice after taking steps to avoid same situation is not on.

3rd time the child could be seriously hurt if horse decides he's had enough, not sure who'd be liable insurance wise but thats got to be a thought.

Either that or I would write a disclaimer with ref the above, and hand it to the YO & childs parents, maybe that would get your point across. i.e. if my horse body slams your tiny child or dents her head with his teeth, its your own stupid fault.

Vicki1986

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
All children in yards should have to wear those shock collars you get for dogs.

Then if they are misbehaving you can grab the remote control and give 'em a good jolt.

It would be good training for them, and therapy for you.

(Not serious, don't go reporting me to Childline)

[/ QUOTE ]

pmsl i agree !