Children on yard by themselves

glenruby

Visit site
I and most of my friends were " alone" at the livery yard (/riding school) from the age of about 10/11. We could hack through the fields on our own ( to be fair, Im sure the yard owner would not have allowed us to if he had any worries about our safety though I doubt he'd have told us directly, instead getting us to ride out with him or join his lessons to keep an eye on us). We had limited road hacking and bridleways did not exist over there so there was no issue with hacking out etc - the farthest we could go safely is half a mile up or down the road - which was generally fine with him, but always at least 2 of us(single file). In general, we were fine to ride our own ponies without direct supervision but when riding young or predictable horses or ponies (or most of the horses belonging to YO) he would be about. The yard was closed (for lessons) one day a week and we were not permitted to ride on that day (IIRC adults were allowed but there were only one of two of those). Have always thought that was fair enough and would love to find a YO who cares so much over here.
ETA - there were a number of children of well off parents who were dumped at the yard to have 2-3 lessons during the day (usually school holidays) and I can remember him hating that as he was essentially being treated as a creche - these kids would have been 10-16yrs old but not experienced or safe to be around horses without constant direct supervision either on or off the horses.

Last edited:

Jools2345

Visit site
Jools2345 – you don’t say how old your daughter is, but from your previous posts, it is obvious you have ensured she is competent to be left. The bulk of my post wouldn’t have been relevant to you as it was in response to the OP and subsequent replies, regarding a family with a new horse on a new yard where there were so many unknown factors.

My last point is hindsight really. As an adult, I have changed my riding plans so as not to leave a child alone on the yard (10 or 11 years old – I didn’t know the child/pony/family well enough to know if child really was ok to be left and YM was not around at the time to ask). I wasn’t hovering over watching every move, but equally I wasn’t comfortable with leaving the yard even though I hadn’t specifically been asked to keep an eye out. As a child, I wouldn’t have known if an adult had done this.

Luci07 has summarised the whole thing perfectly here:

I don’t think I’m “adding to the nanny state and policing society”. I’m not advocating supervising everybody (child or adult) at all times and I’m aware everyone has to learn and like you, I will help out when needed. Over the years I have met several children aged 14 and under who I would be quite happy leaving alone on a yard or letting hack out without an adult. Equally I have met adults who I wouldn’t trust to look after a stuffed toy safely let alone a horse.

Maybe I've just got an over-developed responsibility gene!

Maybe but this post seems more along the lines of my feelings, my daughter has hacked out alone since she was 11yr off road and since 13yr, she is still the only youngster at 16 on the yard that is allowed to hack out alone and some of them are nearly17yrs- all there horses they have are well behaved.

i supposed this topic rattles my cage as when we had 6 youngsters at the yard playing horse ball, gymkana games and generally having fun the yard owner who is in his eighties would sit with his wife watching them (the manege is 25ft from his conservatory) and say how happy it made him to see and hear them enjoying being at the yard and with their horses, he would also say how long it had been since they had had a young group that actually looked after their own horses.

then a couple of other diy people complained to me that the kids were riding their horses too much, these are people who have obese horses and are too scared to ride year after year. i lived on the farm at the time and they also complained to yo that they felt they had to watch (from the yard) my daughter (who was 15) as she rode round the farm, fortunately the yo told them to mind their own business as it was nothing to do with them,

Elsiecat

Visit site
^who stops them riding out at nearly 17? YO or parents? Bizarre as they're nearly allowed to be in control of a vehicle with a lot more horse power than a horse!

Clannad48

Visit site
I think there are two main points here
1. If the yard owner does not want unsupervised under 16 are their yard then the yard owner is within their right to enforce it. I know that there are many mature for their age under 16s out there but there are some awfully stupid ones as well (and a lot of stupid adults as well)
2. Whilst in the 'good old days' we were allowed to come and go as we pleased the majority of parents (including mine) took the attitude that if I got hurt then I would be more careful next time. Nowadays however we are constantly told on tv, radio and pasperd that we can claim compensation at the drop of a hat. When my daughter had a bike accident four years ago we were constantly pressured by various companies to claim. Even four years down the line we still get calls.

IMHO yard owners rules are yard owners rules. End of story

showley1

Visit site
My 14 yr old twins spend alot of time at the yard by theirselves, due to working patterns it is just not possible for to spend all the time needed with them which is why they had to wait longer than most to actually 'own' their own, we did loan on a small private yard before but yo was horse owner and happy to 'look' after them,i took care of my own pony from age of 11,parents not horsey, i trust my girls to behave and yo to tell me if any problem, but certainly do not expect her, or anyone else to supervise or look after them as far as i am concerned they are my responsibility whether i am there or not. ( i am only 5 min away so maybe that helps?) Sometimes i have the kids to be more responsible than the adults, far 2 often the girls have given their own hay to ponies when they have been left without and knowing the owner not to return till morn, or filled empty water buckets (after checking board to no restrictions) , instead of pulling faces and bitching about it ;)

mynutmeg

Visit site
Generally I wouldn't have a problem with it as at that age, and competent riders then they should be fine however with a new horse I would want to supervise for the first week or two and then be around on the yard for another week or two until both rider and horse are comfortable with each other.

Queenbee

Visit site
To be honest, whilst we have all been there and got the t shirt as kids being left alone with our horses or to help out on yards, I completely agree with YOs attitude. I think the main point and probably where she is coming from is that she does not want to bes ultimately responsible for two children who are not hers. Whilst they may be more than competent, they should be supervised. If it were my yard I certainly would not allow parents to just drop their kids off and leave them unsupervised on my yard for the day. I'd probably have a similar restriction to other yards in that anyone under sixteen must be supervised. If something went wrong the parents would be the first to point the finger at yo