Chiltern Equine closed down

SO1

Visit site
I saw post on Facebook saying the staff were only told today at 11.00am. It must be a worrying time for the staff I hope they find new jobs really quickly.

SEL

Visit site
I saw post on Facebook saying the staff were only told today at 11.00am. It must be a worrying time for the staff I hope they find new jobs really quickly.
I didn't get any vibes last week when I had a visit that there was trouble ahead. I have every intention of stalking the vet I use to find out where she goes because she's been excellent with all mine.

SO1

Visit site
I had heard they were privately owed again so this is a bit surprising. Vets are in high demand so I'm sure they will get jobs easily. Its an unpleasent surprise for existing customers though
Yes they were bought by Nick Park it was on their Facebook a few months ago. I am surprised he was allowed to buy it because of his connections with IVC who had to sell it I believe because of owning too many practices in the area and not being allowed to be a monopoly. They should not have sold to anyone connected to IVC https://assets.publishing.service.g...IVC_Acquisitions-_Draft_UILs_-_Chiltern_B.pdf

Last edited:
www.equinevetrepro.com
For those of you in the Buckingham, Milton Keynes, Northampton or North Oxfordshire region, I'm one of the vets at Equine Veterinary & Reproduction - we're a friendly independent ambulatory practice with a focus on pragmatic and experienced sports-horse work and all aspects of breeding and reproduction. Feel free to check out our website, we'd love to help out anyone looking for a new vet. www.equinevetrepro.com

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I didn't get any vibes last week when I had a visit that there was trouble ahead. I have every intention of stalking the vet I use to find out where she goes because she's been excellent with all mine.
I did wonder why in January when I had jabs done they kind of wanted payment that day which I normally do anyway but they kind of made a real point of it when I booked it.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've used them for years at Bury farm but it all went a bit rubbish when Gavin left.

I thought it was just the Bury farm practice that closed.

He was the reason we moved to them when they first opened their Bury Farm site.

We moved to Farr and Pursey in October 2022 as we were fed up of not getting the same vet for ongoing treatment or just couldnt book Gavin in when we requested to see him as we had a lovely relationtship built up over the years.

Really shocked when we saw they had closed. All the staff knew nothing until they were told at 11am friday. A lot of people on my yard use them.

Julia0803

Visit site
I always used Gavin at CES and cannot praise him enough, and actually found the opposite to the reputation of pushing to spend lots of money. He told me on several occasions during a long rehab there was no need to rescan at this point, he could see from his examination, and not to waste my money (uninsured), let’s wait for another x weeks and reassess.

The practice went downhill after he left, in terms of admin, took weeks to get hold of simple test results etc.

Then all these changes around Christmas time: Bury farm closing, end of free visit days, charging for prescriptions from Evet (their own pharmacy), pricing restructuring (the health package that I use, previous £106 all in was now £280+ Vat 😳)- none of which came with any notice, just announced on Facebook, or no warning at all. Really shoddy customer service.

I had been sitting on the fence re moving practices since November, but stayed because Gavin did monthly or so visits back to the area for his existing clients for performance/lameness issues, and I didn’t want to give up access to Gavin. I think he is still planning on visits to the area but presumably now completely independent.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Didn’t realise that Evet was the online pharmacy part of Chiltern Equine. I’ve just (yesterday) placed an order for some non prescription Red Horse products from Evet. I’ve used Evet before with no problems, but now wondering if Evet will still be working normally or at all.

I paid by PayPal, so will have payment protection, but still.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
He was the reason we moved to them when they first opened their Bury Farm site.

We moved to Farr and Pursey in October 2022 as we were fed up of not getting the same vet for ongoing treatment or just couldnt book Gavin in when we requested to see him as we had a lovely relationtship built up over the years.

Really shocked when we saw they had closed. All the staff knew nothing until they were told at 11am friday. A lot of people on my yard use them.
Was gutted when Gavin left I have known him years and totally trusted him he dealt with both of mine through all their problems over the years.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I always used Gavin at CES and cannot praise him enough, and actually found the opposite to the reputation of pushing to spend lots of money. He told me on several occasions during a long rehab there was no need to rescan at this point, he could see from his examination, and not to waste my money (uninsured), let’s wait for another x weeks and reassess.

The practice went downhill after he left, in terms of admin, took weeks to get hold of simple test results etc.

Then all these changes around Christmas time: Bury farm closing, end of free visit days, charging for prescriptions from Evet (their own pharmacy), pricing restructuring (the health package that I use, previous £106 all in was now £280+ Vat 😳)- none of which came with any notice, just announced on Facebook, or no warning at all. Really shoddy customer service.

I had been sitting on the fence re moving practices since November, but stayed because Gavin did monthly or so visits back to the area for his existing clients for performance/lameness issues, and I didn’t want to give up access to Gavin. I think he is still planning on visits to the area but presumably now completely independent.
I didn't know he comes back this way I would definitely use him for lameness issues.

SEL

Visit site
Didn’t realise that Evet was the online pharmacy part of Chiltern Equine. I’ve just (yesterday) placed an order for some non prescription Red Horse products from Evet. I’ve used Evet before with no problems, but now wondering if Evet will still be working normally or at all.

I paid by PayPal, so will have payment protection, but still.
I checked yesterday and it was still up and running - I think it was separate enough as a legal entity not to be hit by this but keeping fingers crossed.

sport horse

Visit site
I checked yesterday and it was still up and running - I think it was separate enough as a legal entity not to be hit by this but keeping fingers crossed.
Be surprised (not!) that, according to Companies House records, Evet Drug was sold to IVC and subsequently transferred to the one and only Nick Park!!! Think I will shop elsewhere for now.

Ratface

Visit site
The practice we use has just left it's lovely spacious accommodation, which was very accessible by road for horseboxes, to move to one which is further away and will be difficult to get to other than by using a Rice trailer.
Fortunately, YO has an excellent relationship with one of the senior vets there, who has now retired. She came out when Old Horse was presenting with sporadic breathing difficulties. Also, I know one of the partners.
However, very difficult for many others, who don't have such contacts.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Was gutted when Gavin left I have known him years and totally trusted him he dealt with both of mine through all their problems over the years.

We were liveried at Bury farm when they opened the branch there. My sisters pony was a bit free with all four hooves when Vets were around. So it was a case of if he could jab him with the least amount of hassle for pony and him he won the prize of us as clients.......he was the only vet that pony did not try and kick.

He was just a brilliant vet and human being

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We were liveried at Bury farm when they opened the branch there. My sisters pony was a bit free with all four hooves when Vets were around. So it was a case of if he could jab him with the least amount of hassle for pony and him he won the prize of us as clients.......he was the only vet that pony did not try and kick.

He was just a brilliant vet and human being
My Louis hates vets and I remember once he had choke and I couldn't get it to clear it was about 7pm in the evening so an emergency vet call, Gavin came out and he managed to sedate him then had to tube him which was not easy.

All I can say is Gavin and I looked like we had murdered someone Louis nose started bleeding and it was everywhere it was so embarrassing, I remember him in my kitchen trying to clean himself up he was covered but still laughed about it.

I was mortified.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Chiltern Equine have just posted Facebook that they have closed. Most of our yard are with Chiltern Equine and this was the first they knew about it.

Luckily I moved vets when Homey passed away and I got Bert as both the vets I used for Homey moved practices.

Chiltern Equine are a big practice and there will be a lot of horses needing to move to vets and I wonder how much space they have to take on lots of new customers.
I was with Wendover originally 1988, then move to chiltern when the owner started up in 2000 then i dumped them in Dec 2012, when I lost my mare through misdiagnoses and I lost her. Not the only one sadly who went through similar.

Two vets played a part in me losing my mare in 2012. I hope the one mentioned above does not go to Wendover as they played a part with my mares condition. Though I think the second vet now works for a different practice so I am safe. I will refuse to have them if they do.

I had been sitting on the fence re moving practices since November, but stayed because Gavin did monthly or so visits back to the area for his existing clients for performance/lameness issues, and I didn’t want to give up access to Gavin. I think he is still planning on visits to the area but presumably
now completely independent

I wouldn't let him near my horses again.

Last edited:

lme

Visit site
I use Chiltern (especially for anything lameness related) but am also registered with a small local practice so will wait and see what the Chiltern vets I usually use do next.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I was with Wendover originally 1988, then move to chiltern when the owner started up in 2000 then i dumped them in Dec 2012, when I lost my mare through misdiagnoses and I lost her. Not the only one sadly who went through similar.

Two vets played a part in me losing my mare in 2012. I hope the one mentioned above does not go to Wendover as they played a part with my mares condition. Though I think the second vet now works for a different practice so I am safe. I will refuse to have them if they do.

now completely independent

I wouldn't let him near my horses again.

I have some friends who are the same as you but I feel the same about there vet (another local to MK), who without doing scans injected a friends horse hocks and the problem turned out to be something completely different.

Its always a minefield when finding a professional you trust.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I've been with Wendover since1999. I think they are great but every vet can make a mistake, and the Wendover vets have changed over the years (interms of the people). I'm still very happy with them but only know one of there vets really well at the moment - which is sort of good. When I had a problem horse I practically was buying them birthday presents, its not good when you know your vet that well. I could make negative comments about other vets on this thread but it would not be right - its just my personal view based on a particular incident

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just a heads up that my on line order with eVetDrug of Red Horse products is now with DPD, so eVetDrug is still currently operational.

I only placed the order on Friday morning with free standard (not expedited) delivery.

ETA I placed the order one hour before the Chiltern Equine staff were informed that CE was shutting with immediate effect, and was unaware that the two companies were connected at all until a heads up on here.

Last edited:

sport horse

Visit site
Just a heads up that my on line order with eVetDrug of Red Horse products is now with DPD, so eVetDrug is still currently operational.

I only placed the order on Friday morning with free standard (not expedited) delivery.
As the only person recorded at companies house as a director of Evet drug is also the only director of the, now closed, Chiltern Veterinary Services,a certain Mr Nicholas Park, I will be avoiding his companies. He is a registered vet who thinks it was OK to close down a very large veterinary practice on a Friday morning, failing to inform clients or other local vets and with no weekend cover in place for emergencies. Franky I do not think he should even be registered with RCVS with behaviour like that. I was a long standing client of Chiltern Equine, with a yard of nearly 20 horses and at this moment in time I have had no official communication. If I did not do facebook or happen to look at their web site I would still be unaware that I did not have a vet. Shocking.