Chiltern Equine closed down

reynold

Visit site
This seems to be happening more often. Last autumn my vet practice that I'd been with for 48 years sent an email on a friday morning that the equine part of the practice was closing down as of that day (but the dog and cat part was keeping going). This was an independent vet practice - not the dreaded Medivet.

Luckily one of their 3 equine vets set up on his own and all our equine records were transferred to his new practice. Phone number and website details were given in the closure email. Unhappily the vet that set up on his own was the one vet there that didn't suit my horse.

Still it was a great shock and no notice was given to the clients (and I'd had one of the vets out for routine work only just over a week previously). If they had done what CE have done and only posted on Faceache then I wouldn't have known anything as I'm not on social media at all - other than here.

When there are animals involved there should be some ruling from the RCVS or animal welfare legislation that at least a weeks notice (if not longer) should be given for a vet practice closure. Closing down animal care (or a GP practice) is not the same as shutting down, say, a shop on the high street.

SEL

Visit site
This seems to be happening more often. Last autumn my vet practice that I'd been with for 48 years sent an email on a friday morning that the equine part of the practice was closing down as of that day (but the dog and cat part was keeping going). This was an independent vet practice - not the dreaded Medivet.

Luckily one of their 3 equine vets set up on his own and all our equine records were transferred to his new practice. Phone number and website details were given in the closure email. Unhappily the vet that set up on his own was the one vet there that didn't suit my horse.

Still it was a great shock and no notice was given to the clients (and I'd had one of the vets out for routine work only just over a week previously). If they had done what CE have done and only posted on Faceache then I wouldn't have known anything as I'm not on social media at all - other than here.

When there are animals involved there should be some ruling from the RCVS or animal welfare legislation that at least a weeks notice (if not longer) should be given for a vet practice closure. Closing down animal care (or a GP practice) is not the same as shutting down, say, a shop on the high street.

I had to let a neighbour know about Chiltern because I knew she didn't do FB etc.

They'd been admitting patients to the hospital last week too which must have been worrying for owners. Imagine if you had a problem post discharge - suddenly you're relying on a strange vet practice to pick up where your old vet left off.

The crew left behind in the office are doing an amazing job of getting records sent out for which they have my thanks. Never easy being the last one left to quite literally turn the lights out and I really feel for all of them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had to let a neighbour know about Chiltern because I knew she didn't do FB etc.

They'd been admitting patients to the hospital last week too which must have been worrying for owners. Imagine if you had a problem post discharge - suddenly you're relying on a strange vet practice to pick up where your old vet left off.

The crew left behind in the office are doing an amazing job of getting records sent out for which they have my thanks. Never easy being the last one left to quite literally turn the lights out and I really feel for all of them.
I did wonder about records did you email them about getting yours sent on??

I just kind of assumed that would be it gone forever.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Given the demand in the area wont reduce, do we think that the ex-Chiltern vets will either set up on own or be absorbed by other practices to service same clients via a different name on the door? Or both?

sport horse

Visit site

My neighbour was away on holiday and had left her animals including horses with a horsey house sitter. Imagine that poor person needing an emergency vet only to find they had closed and the actual owner uncontactable?

SO1

Visit site
Given the demand in the area wont reduce, do we think that the ex-Chiltern vets will either set up on own or be absorbed by other practices to service same clients via a different name on the door? Or both?
I don't know, if Chiltern were not making enough money to be a viable business then maybe vets wouldn't feel confident opening a new practice, though without the costs of running a hospital and clinics at multiple locations they may find it more profitable. A lot of the Chiltern vets were quite young and maybe not in a position to set up their own business.

I think the hospital with a lot of nursing staff and grooms as well as the interns and vet running it must have cost a lot of money to keep going.

SEL

Visit site
I did wonder about records did you email them about getting yours sent on??

I just kind of assumed that would be it gone forever.
I emailed and got all mine sent to me.

The two mares have had loads done over the years so they used drop box, but I've got all the x-rays, scans etc as well as the PDF clinical history.

When I've got some time this week I'm going to try and work out which jpeg is little pony's kissing spine x-rays.

I don't know, if Chiltern were not making enough money to be a viable business then maybe vets wouldn't feel confident opening a new practice, though without the costs of running a hospital and clinics at multiple locations they may find it more profitable. A lot of the Chiltern vets were quite young and maybe not in a position to set up their own business.

I think the hospital with a lot of nursing staff and grooms as well as the interns and vet running it must have cost a lot of money to keep going.
I think the practice was viable when it was sold but after the competition authority got involved it had to be divested. Its difficult without knowing the terms of the original sale and the divestment but I suspect the issue lies there rather than the practice not being profitable per se. No idea if the original owner will set up again or if this was planned to be her retirement package.

I'm struggling to see why the competition authority made the call that they did actually. We've got tonnes of equine vets in this part of the south east - its a wealthy enough area to support them - so I don't think the original sale would have reduced competition.

SO1

Visit site

The two mares have had loads done over the years so they used drop box, but I've got all the x-rays, scans etc as well as the PDF clinical history.

When I've got some time this week I'm going to try and work out which jpeg is little pony's kissing spine x-rays.

I think the practice was viable when it was sold but after the competition authority got involved it had to be divested. Its difficult without knowing the terms of the original sale and the divestment but I suspect the issue lies there rather than the practice not being profitable per se. No idea if the original owner will set up again or if this was planned to be her retirement package.

I'm struggling to see why the competition authority made the call that they did actually. We've got tonnes of equine vets in this part of the south east - its a wealthy enough area to support them - so I don't think the original sale would have reduced competition.
Maybe a lot of those practices are owned by IVC I believe Wendover is owned by IVC.

They lost quite a few senior vets when the practice was sold and I wonder if that meant some clients moved to other practices.

paddy555

Visit site
T my vet practice that I'd been with for 48 years sent an email on a friday morning that the equine part of the practice was closing down as of that day (but the dog and cat part was keeping going).
ours that I was with for very many years, an independent, got taken over. We got told (several years ago now) they were no longer doing horses. The letter arrived on 23rd Dec. Our early Christmas present. 🤣 🤣

However it turned out to be the best Christmas present ever. A few weeks later we saw one of the old vets, someone who I totally trusted, who had moved. He told us to come and join his new practice. We did. We ended up in a very forward thinking independent with several extremely good horse vets who were far superior to the old practice.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I've just registered with the RVC and they have said they are successfully getting records from them.

So hopefully mine can all be sent to them now.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
RVC are offering first call out for free and a basic health check for free to all new customers.

I think the other practices are competing to take on ex chiltern clients.
Yes, I've seen posts from RVC, Park Vets and Ballinger Equine on facebook plus the two on here.

criso

Visit site
Not a fan of Ballinger knew her at Rossdales and was part of the reason I switched to Chiltern.
A few people on our yard really rate her and have since she worked with Chris Harris, not used her myself.

I'm with the RVC and people have strong opinions about certain vets but it's not all the same vet so itt does vary.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A few people on our yard really rate her and have since she worked with Chris Harris, not used her myself.

I'm with the RVC and people have strong opinions about certain vets but it's not all the same vet so itt does vary.
Ahhh Chris Harris I'm old enough to remember him quite well, I used to work on a yard in Essex and I helped him splint and bandage a horses once so she was stable to travel to the RVC.

I actually liked Chris he was old school and very blunt but he was a good vet, Ballinger I found rude and not very nice but I also know people that use and rate her.

I think its a case of who you get on with we are all different especially with vets.

criso

Visit site
Ahhh Chris Harris I'm old enough to remember him quite well, I used to work on a yard in Essex and I helped him splint and bandage a horses once so she was stable to travel to the RVC.

I actually liked Chris he was old school and very blunt but he was a good vet, Ballinger I found rude and not very nice but I also know people that use and rate her.

I think its a case of who you get on with we are all different especially with vets.
He was still practising when I first got my own horse again after a gap in 2007 and people on the yard I was on used him. I remember one day there were 2 RVC vets and CH on the yard at the same time all dodging each other for trot ups.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I remember same yard I worked a couple bought a 17.3 gelding unseen from Ireland and my god it was plain evil, it would lunge at people and kick out he was awful most aggressive horse I've ever known, us staff were not allowed to handle it at all the owners had to do everything.

They got Chris Harris out once to sedate it for the farrier once and it really went for him how it missed him I don't know.

He very politely said this horse needs a bullet, the owners were not at all impressed but to be fair he was right.

This horse put both of the owners in hospital and no one would shoe it as it tried to kill every farrier that tried.

eggs

Visit site
Yes, looks like she has already set up. Think it is called Elite Equine Clinic.

expanding_horizon

Visit site

It was not a non viable financial reason Chiltern shut suddenly. It was related to the competition authority and the conditions being set as so much was owned by one company. Closing was related to that, and meeting / not meeting the anti competition terms set. There's a good article on the details floating about somewhere.

Visit site
I think there’s some confusion surrounding when the CMA stepped in.
The CMA review was triggered after IVC acquired a number of practises (not just Chiltern). The terms set by the CMA meant that; IVC could no longer own, control, or hold shares in a number of vet practises acquired after a certain time - I want to say it was 8 or 9 practises.

Nick Park has worked for IVC for a number of years, after selling his own practises to IVC, and becoming a member of their acquisitions/sales team.
They told the CMA he would cease employment with them - but looking at him, his life, and financial health of his other companies I in no way believe he personally had the money or means to buy the Chiltern group - let alone their solvency at the time of sale (you can read ivc’s in depth accounts on companies house).
There are NO CCJ’s, mortgages, or loans against any of the Chiltern companies and by their company credit ratings, none are in dire straits. Thats evident from the accounts prior to December 2023 when all operating profits were dumped out of the company and into shareholder funds.
You can look up the shareholders, or should I say HOLDER. There is another company in significant control of Chiltern; also owned by Nick park; and the ultimate parent company of that being a building company also owned by Nick.

You can draw your own conclusions on who may or may not have funded the downfall of Chiltern, and who’s going to be reaping all that shareholder money for years to come.

Ultimately if greed didn’t set the standard for selling companies that had always turned a profit, these large corporates wouldn’t be able to come in. I feel for anyone with a claim that will likely not be paid, and the genuine staff that always did their best. I doubt anyone will see redundancy or otherwise.
As they always say no good deed goes unpunished and I’m sure with the right investigation something can be done to prevent these things happening to other practises.

SEL

Visit site
CMA?

Googled it - the Gov.uk Competitions and Markets Authority?
yup

@Redheadandthemare I don't think you can blame the original owner(s) of Chiltern for wanting to sell up. Everyone needs a pension fund and I knew a partner in a small animal practice who did much the same. People have been selling successful businesses for ever and a day and vets shouldn't be criticised for doing the same.

It sounds like Nick Park had a short term strategy to get as much money out of Chiltern as he could before closing it. I doubt there was anything illegal albeit ethics didn't seem to raise their head.

I like to believe in karma..........

Visit site
yup

@Redheadandthemare I don't think you can blame the original owner(s) of Chiltern for wanting to sell up. Everyone needs a pension fund and I knew a partner in a small animal practice who did much the same. People have been selling successful businesses for ever and a day and vets shouldn't be criticised for doing the same.

It sounds like Nick Park had a short term strategy to get as much money out of Chiltern as he could before closing it. I doubt there was anything illegal albeit ethics didn't seem to raise their head.

I like to believe in karma..........
I don’t “blame” anyone for retiring at all, but I do think foresight in some situations is a good idea. We all have different feelings about it, perhaps depending on experience.

Asset stripping isn’t illegal. However embezzlement or tanking is.

sport horse

Visit site
Am I alone in being concerned that Nick Park is still a registered vet. Surely it is hardly in keeping with the oath he made to RCVS when starting out:

I PROMISE AND SOLEMNLY DECLARE that I will pursue the work of my profession with integrity and accept my responsibilities to the public, my clients, the profession and the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and that, ABOVE ALL, my constant endeavour will be to ensure the health and welfare of animals committed to ...

So shutting a very large equine practice without notice at 11 am on a Friday morning with a weekend ahead, failing to prewarn any other local practices that they might need to supply emergency cover especially as it is the start of the foaling season and leaving a massive number of clients not even knowing that they had no vet is complying with this oath?

I was a client of Chiltern Equine and as yet I have had no official notice of closure from them. Yes it is on their website but who looks at that daily? Yes it was on Facebook but not everyone does that either. Neither platform was my means of contact nor their way of invoicing me!

One of the principles of a vet is:

A veterinarian shall be influenced only by the welfare of the patient, the needs of the client, the safety of the public, and the need to uphold the public trust vested in the veterinary profession, and shall avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.

Perhaps it is Nick Park's time to decide where his interests lie and possibly resign from RCVS?