Chop or not??

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Help me decide please!

I have an Arab (96%) and very typey, doesn't look anything but Arab. He's my first one and the long mane is driving my mane obsession mad! My previous horses I've kept manes short and neat and love that look. Would it be against everything Araby to take it short?! It is really quite long so it is in a running plait all the time anyway. But the last 1/3 is so thin and fragile a chunk has fallen out tonight

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Help me decide please!

I have an Arab (96%) and very typey, doesn't look anything but Arab. He's my first one and the long mane is driving my mane obsession mad! My previous horses I've kept manes short and neat and love that look. Would it be against everything Araby to take it short?! It is really quite long so it is in a running plait all the time anyway. But the last 1/3 is so thin and fragile a chunk has fallen out tonight
Deffo a picture would help. But I’m with you, I love short manes!

Circe2

Visit site
Personally, I think a short mane looks really lovely on an Arab - maybe a little bit longer than the length you would normally pull it to, as the hair is finer and you wouldn’t want it bouncing/sticking out.

Obviously only my (hopefully not too controversial) opinion, but I find the long, traditional manes can make them look a bit doll-like. Fine in traditional/show/western/trekking garb, but slightly odd otherwise!

Steerpike

Visit site
I have long manes on a couple of my Arabs which I tend to plait when out and about and a couple of my other Arabs have short manes as they suit them, I even had one Arab hogged when he was in work.

paddy555

Visit site
very much a flat out no for an arab. Beautiful mane on a lovely horse. The mane is part of the essence of being an arab. Your mane looks exactly as it should. :D

Wishfilly

Visit site
I have to say I'd be very tempted to pull/trim (in a natural way) to get those longer, straggly bits off- I think then if you did let it grow longer again, it would grow in a nicer/fuller way.

I do know someone who had a full arab who's mane she pulled, and it actually really suited him- she wasn't a very traditional arab owner though!

Long, traditional manes are obviously required for showing, but otherwise I don't think people will judge you for pulling his mane!

HashRouge

Visit site
I can't seem to upload my photo but having looked at it again (it's from about 10 years ago) I think it looks really lovely on her. They are so fine, they won't look bad with a short mane. What I would do though is take it shorter gradually so you can see what length looks best. I think super short might not look as good as having it a couple of inches longer.

TwyfordM

Visit site
My friend hogs her beefcake of an endurance Arab ? he however is an absolute chunk and almost 16hh, so he's fairly special. The other three get tidied and kept manageable though still in the traditional Arab length.
Most of the higher level endurance arabs are hogged and pull it off ok

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he is a pretty boy, personally i dont like long manes so i would pull it to a manageable length if you are not intending to show him. if it doesnt look right to you it will grow back but you may as well try , you wont lose anything...

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I did give it a tidy up a few months ago, so think I'll do that again and maybe take it a bit shorter and see how I feel. As a few said, it will grow back!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Like many of us he could do with a couple of inches off the bottom of his mane to tidy it up. Think would make it look fuller without losing too much length. I use scissors to get the rough length & then a mane and tail thinning comb to razor ends make finish less blunt.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yup. I'd scissor that short. It grows back quickly anyway. My anglo arab was constantly changing hairstyle. I think she generally looked better with it short.