Clap for the NHS and animals

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don’t wear a poppy because the moment they started with all that poppy shaming business I gave up.
I do feel a bit the same about the clapping and I have to say I feel a weird doing it all on all on my own non of our neighbours do .
I totally get TP’s point about the supermarket workers in particular they have gone above and beyond to support people in a job where you would never think you be called on to do so .
The supermarkets are building market share but the workers have got nothing out of it at all .
I always say I appreciate them at the checkout person after person passing by them all day it’s not nice .

scats

Visit site
I’ve noticed a few people shaming others on local fb groups and that’s not ok.
Yesterday someone made a comment that ‘no-one else on so-and-so street clapped and how dreadful it was’
That really annoys me. People have all sorts of their own worries and problems at the moment, it’s totally up to them whether they want to publically show their appreciation or not.

I don’t clap. I totally appreciate the NHS, but I don’t feel the need to stand outside every week bang my hands together, because it just feels meaningless to me. Each to their own though. I know my mum goes out and claps.
There’s a bloke round the corner who gets his keyboard out and does a song!

Bexx

Visit site
We don't clap, weve got a very nervous cat and rabbit (both rescues) who are noise reactive so I have to spend the time making sure they are safe. I think once was a nice gesture but not every week and certainly not the level of noise that comes with it. People on my street have started shaming others for not clapping and calling out people from specific households. Imo the best way to support the NHS is to stay home. And then when this is over dont visit A&E or GPs unnecessarily and use your vote wisely in the next election

PSD

Visit site
I suppose I was mainly replying to the people saying it was 'offensive' and the crazy notion that we all donate a pound instead.
Maybe we need to be reminded that it should just be clapping.

crazy notion? only thing crazy about the whole thing is the idiots trying to outdo each other on the noise levels. It’s ridiculous, I don’t see the point of it at all.

Clodagh

Visit site
We don’t do it (clapping) here as no one around to hear but last night someone in the village (over a mile away) must have let something pretty huge off. It sounded like a huge unsilenced rifle was fired in our garden. The dogs aren’t worried but they all leapt to their feet, as did we.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think it is a confidence trick, to try and give people a sense that they are doing"something" in the face of an illness. The idea that children will remember the weekly clap as the abiding memory, rather than other, more important aspects and learning lessons about how the system failed them and others is worrying to me.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it is a confidence trick, to try and give people a sense that they are doing"something" in the face of an illness. The idea that children will remember the weekly clap as the abiding memory, rather than other, more important aspects and learning lessons about how the system failed them and others is worrying to me.

I'm not disagreeing with you but perhaps the clapping is a nice thing for children. Anxious ones must be really struggling at the moment.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with you but perhaps the clapping is a nice thing for children. Anxious ones must be really struggling at the moment.
I agree that anxious children are struggling, but I can't see that the row that is being made will do much to alleviate that that.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I reckon in 10 years time everyone will be out on their doorsteps clapping at 8pm on a Thursday evening and noone will remember why... ?

I think it was lovely as a spontaneous one off thing but it gets a bit silly when it becomes socially compulsory and people start to try and out-do each other. Loses the initial meaning and becomes about being more appreciative than thou.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Personally I think people should show their appreciation to the NHS all year round in ways which will actually benefit its staff directly: not abusing the system, being polite and showing gratitude to those who treat them, not missing appointments, not getting drunk and ending up in A&E on a Friday night / shoving weird objects inside myself and expecting NHS staff to pull them out* etc etc. And, indeed, by voting for people who value them too. Setting off fireworks to support the NHS is nuts given how many home fireworks end in A&E admissions...

(*Not that this is a hardship to me - it's pretty much my default position on that score...)

Flicker

Visit site
Personally I think people should show their appreciation to the NHS all year round in ways which will actually benefit its staff directly: not abusing the system, being polite and showing gratitude to those who treat them, not missing appointments, not getting drunk and ending up in A&E on a Friday night / shoving weird objects inside myself and expecting NHS staff to pull them out* etc etc. And, indeed, by voting for people who value them too. Setting off fireworks to support the NHS is nuts given how many home fireworks end in A&E admissions...

(*Not that this is a hardship to me - it's pretty much my default position on that score...)

My OH would agree with this 100% although the weird objects do amuse and inconvenience in equal measure.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The ‘be seen to be grateful to the NHS‘ thing is ramping up.

Yesterday evening, just before the official 8pm clap, one hospital had a drive by of over 100 trucks, lorries and vans who were tooting their horns in a special drive-past parade. Um, the organisers meant well, but...

Bro just wants people to be sensible. Those who ought to seek medical help shouldn’t be holding back, but can the rest of us please try and not injure ourselves unnecessarily - he was thinking especially of the large number of bicycle related injuries coming into A&E during lockdown. Plus he was a tad grumpy recently at being bleeped at 4am to operate on one of a group of joyriders who crashed a nicked car at high speed into a parked car.

lar

Visit site
I thought the clapping was for ALL key workers now, not just the NHS. That's who I personally am clapping for.
I like it. It's generating a really lovely community feel on our road. Once a week you go out and see your neighbours and wave at them from a suitable distance.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
We clap round here, someone hoots a car horn, there have been fireworks in the past but none last night. (There was a bit of nastiness on a local FB group when someone pointed out that the fireworks woke her young baby up and others said they scared their dogs. No community shaming, though, not that I'm aware of.)
Personally, I'm clapping for all the people keeping the country going, not just health workers but shop workers, bin men etc.
I quite like the way that going into our front gardens means that we get to have a quick (socially distanced) conversation with our neighbours, make sure the elderly lady across the road is OK, etc.

WandaMare

Visit site
I think once was a nice touch, weekly is stupid. When will they say 'stop' or like PF says, will be still be clapping in 10 years.

I don't think so, I think they'll mostly stop after lockdown and maybe a few will keep going on till the end of the pandemic, which will be until key workers don't need to put themselves at high risk to look after us all.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think so, I think they'll mostly stop after lockdown and maybe a few will keep going on till the end of the pandemic, which will be until key workers don't need to put themselves at high risk to look after us all.

I'm not sure though at what point you can define an end. This is the future. Anyway, I don't really mind if people still want to do it but as a key worker who is risking their health I'm not sure how much I am getting from it. I'm a nasty cynic!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I agree that fireworks and loud revving are a little OTT, but other than that I have no objection to what people are doing. I did stop clapping after the second week, but that's just me.

A lot of people are really struggling with isolating alone, many will be stressed with their families and I think that coming out once a week, seeing all of your neighbours (from afar of course) do the same and having 5 minutes of making a ruckus and celebrating something has really helped a lot of people feel less alone, less oppressed by what's going on and has put a smile on their face. I understand it isn't ideal for some horses/animals, but it's 5 minutes once a week, and we can't expect the whole country to bow down and stop something that is helping a lot of people get through, just because they have upset a few animals here and there.

I know many won't agree, but that's just my opinion :)

rowan666

Visit site
It's really starting to take the piss where I live now, everywhere neighbours are competing over who can make the most noise with, pans, screaming, car horns, air horns, them football horn things and now fireworks aswell! My dog didnt bother at first but now it's so loud he hides under the bed crying and I'm sure many others do. I live in flats and instead of people doing it from their windows they are all crowding outside the main door together!! Idiots!! I'm sure nurses would much rather people stuck to the rules than break them every week just make ridiculously amounts of noise in their name.
At what point will it stop? Or is this forever now?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I got messaged by next door a couple of weeks ago to join in, because the person 2 doors down had called her to join in. I said I'd let them carry on. I don't really like clapping.

I’m not a massive fan of over demonstrative gestures generally. I’ve actually forgotten each time in any case. Last night I was eating dinner and wondered why the cat suddenly fled his window seat and hid. Last week I was driving home from Sainsbury’s and embarrassingly had to drive down the road by people clapping and banging pots. One woman gestured something to me and I thought she was saying “slow down” I checked my Speedo which was at the lawful speed and thought “bloody cheek” Only later did it suddenly come to me she was encouraging me to beep my horn ?.

I’m happy for other people to do it it’s just not for me. If anyone challenges me I going to say I’m doing my bit by not voting for a party destroying it.

Clydiegirl

Visit site
I stay right across the road from our fire station. Every Thursday at 8 pm all 3 fire engines are outside with sirens and horns going constantly for a couple of minutes. Don't mind it too much but it is VERY loud.

Clodagh

Visit site
[QUOTE="thefarsideofthefield, post: 14268258, member: . Le Creuset wrist is now an actual ' thing ' in our village .[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D