Cleaning box out when you change yards?

siennamiller

Visit site
So, I as reading another thread on here, about filling your box when you are still within the notice period, and a few livery owners said about digging out the box when the livery has left.
I'm just curious, do people not clean their own box out when they leave? I've always removed all bedding, and left the box clean and swept (except when I left a pile of clean bedding for someone else to use in their box)?

miss_c

Visit site
I've always cleaned the box out and washed the floor etc... Surely that's common courtesy and politeness? I once left some bedding in there as another livery was going to move into my stable and said she wanted it, but it was left neatly and any bedding remotely dirty was chucked.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I leave it how I find it. So if the box was given to me full of poo and someone else's old bedding then when I leave the yard I don't clean it out either.

When I move onto a yard I usually find boxes have been cleared but are in need of a sweep, which often yields another barrow load of mess, and a wash down. So I don't think its common for people to leave a box spotless when they move out.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
When I've had liveries leaving, they are required to clean, sweep and leave the box as spotless as possible on the day the horse goes. No 'promising' to return accepted.

I have always disinfected after they leave. (after 1 lovely lady flooded the next box by bringing her husband to do pressure washing)
If its left in a state or not cleared same day as horse goes, then deposit not returned, as per contract.

I wouldn't dream of letting a new livery in and letting them have a remotely dirty box.

sarahann1

Visit site
I didn't leave a stable when I left my last yard, but my 'stuff' space was left fully swept and tidy.

I wouldn't dream of leaving anywhere be it a stable or stuff space anything but clean and tidy, contract or not, it's just good manners.

shadowboy

Visit site
If on DIY I leave the box spotless and empty. If in full livery and the box was already made for me I don't touch it- as far as I can see the yard are responsible for clearing it as they see fit.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'd clear, it's only polite. However, having been shown a box on my current place, I had to clean it out (and it was horrible) before I could move in.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So, I as reading another thread on here, about filling your box when you are still within the notice period, and a few livery owners said about digging out the box when the livery has left.
I'm just curious, do people not clean their own box out when they leave? I've always removed all bedding, and left the box clean and swept (except when I left a pile of clean bedding for someone else to use in their box)?

Some dig it out and what they do a few weeks prior to them moving. They ask me not to add in their weekly shaving so they take them with them to new yard. That leaves me less to dig out, so usually livery does not dig bed out.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
If on DIY I leave the box spotless and empty. If in full livery and the box was already made for me I don't touch it- as far as I can see the yard are responsible for clearing it as they see fit.

^^This. I've only ever left 2 yards, and both I was on full livery so I did nothing. However, when I lost my old boy, I cleared his stable out as I was on DIY by then.

Enfys

Visit site
Do as you would be done by surely? Like most people I would never dream of leaving a dirty box. Basic courtesy.

DD265

Visit site
I'd leave it how I'd like to find it.

On the current yard - it's full livery and YO prefers to do the beds himself so I wouldn't do that, but I'd leave the areas where my things are spotless.

Orca

Visit site
I'd also leave it spotless. I disinfect and scrub down whenever I change the bed anyway, so it would be particularly churlish not to upon leaving.

muckypony

Visit site
If on DIY it should be left spotless, but full livery I would imagine that's down to the yard to sort.

I've always been DIY but when I worked on a full livery yard we always cleared out the stables ready for a new arrival.

Nativelover

Visit site
If on DIY I've always cleared the stable, though I've turned up to yards where ive had to clear the muck that was left!!!
I was on a part livery yard, moving stables on same yard. I'd asked for an outside stable so was my decision, I was given a weeks notice as another livery wanted to come on yard.
No problem I thought, but it turned out I had to dig out years worth bad mucking out! I was working nights for the week so I though I'll do a little bit each morning after work, blow me but the new livery turned up early and stood there watching me clearing my old stable out! Complaining loudly that I wasn't leaving her with my bedding!!
Nowt so queer as horsey folk!!!

skint1

Visit site
If moving yards I would clear and clean unless I was leaving under some kind of extreme duress.

I recently moved one of my horses from an outside to an indoor barn stable, partly because the indoor is bigger and my other horse lives in the barn and partly to enable a fellow livery to put her new horse with her others. I didn't have a great deal of notice so I started the clean/clear process and the other livery kindly finished the job. It worked out for everyone

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The only time I ever left the stable mucky was back in 1995

I was at private yard and I did a minight flit from her place in the end and her voice mail so not pleasant.

In the snow and ice she would not let me thaw her taps out so I had to bring water in Jerry cans from home.
Her mother would turn the light off when I was mucking out so I turn on and she would come back and turn it off
her kids were the most annoying brats out, they would say *what ya doing* " i am filling a haynet" *why* " cos mare needs to eat" *why*. "to live" *what ya doing* filling buckets of water *why* and this would go on and on and on and on and on and they would come up behind you and poke you in the back with a plant cane. and say *what ya doing* Used to do my head in, and the mother who kept turning the light off kept saying I was cruel keeping my mare alive as she had moonblindness(uveitis)

The kids would also take their pants down and pee on your hay,

So enough was enough with 2 friends who I had helped on their yards we took my mare - took the donkey and my things and vanished.

This is the only time I left the yard in a mess, it was hell up there

Hexx

Visit site
I have always been on part livery, so made sure my areas were clear, but left the beds. Yard 1 - was on rubber matting, so only left a pile of shavings in the corner. Yard 2 - deep litter, so yard skimmed the top. Yard 3 - part livery and was asked to leave the box. Final yard - horse pts and again left the bed. The incoming livery had a smashing bed to come into as I had literally had 10 fresh bales of shavings put in (my horse had a very thick bed as he has lami) just before he died.

On the last yard, the girls would run the beds down when they knew horses were leaving (all were on rubber matting) and then clean and put a new bed down for new livery. Bit different in my case as it would have been a huge waste of bedding, and the incoming horse was already a resident on the yard, so was happy to do so.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I've always left my stables spotless. Once, someone wanted my clean bedding, so I left it for them, otherwise it would have been thrown on the muck heap. As everyone has said, it's common courtesy, surely?

Only on one occasion did I leave two dirty stables. It wasn't my intention, but the YO's thuggish bully of a relative was breathing down my neck and accusing me of all sorts, so I left as fast as humanely possible. YO stood by like a statue and did nothing. Oh, how I was happy to leave that establishment!!

Holzdweaver

Visit site
I always leave the stable clean, spotless and disinfected. On my current yard i had to clear the stable before using it as there was already a bed in which was filthy, i ended up putting my bedding down on a wet floor as id had to scrub it out with cleaner. YO did apologize, another livery had been using it while she mucked hers out and promised to empty it before my arrival which didnt happen.

Iv also been on a yard where they didnt want me to deep litter because of more than one person upping and leaving it in for him to sort, i had a chat and solved that by giving him a £50 'bed' deposit. Told him that if i didnt leave the stable spotless to keep the money as payment for his time and effort. After a few weeks he handed it me back, said that as i actually swept the yard and kept everywhere spotless, squared the muckheap and didnt leave things everywhere, he didnt doubt me when i said i would clear it all out if i left, only stayed a year as i moved house to a different county. After giving a months notice i was struggling to find transport for my stuff (horse was sorted), so he even drove me and my horsey gear to its new home. Messaged me a few weeks later telling me to come back as the yard was a tip lol, thats one YO i really miss :)

Flicker

Visit site
I have to admit that I did leave one awful yard without cleaning out the box. The YO was dangerous, her management was dangerous and I gave her notice after my horse and I were almost mown down by her ponies galloping loose around the yard.
She refused to allow my friend's horse box onto the yard so I had to load my scatty horse in the road.
Once we were all safely loaded, I just drove away and never went back.

Flicker

Visit site
The only time I ever left the stable mucky was back in 1995

I was at private yard and I did a minight flit from her place in the end and her voice mail so not pleasant.

In the snow and ice she would not let me thaw her taps out so I had to bring water in Jerry cans from home.
Her mother would turn the light off when I was mucking out so I turn on and she would come back and turn it off
her kids were the most annoying brats out, they would say *what ya doing* " i am filling a haynet" *why* " cos mare needs to eat" *why*. "to live" *what ya doing* filling buckets of water *why* and this would go on and on and on and on and on and they would come up behind you and poke you in the back with a plant cane. and say *what ya doing* Used to do my head in, and the mother who kept turning the light off kept saying I was cruel keeping my mare alive as she had moonblindness(uveitis)

The kids would also take their pants down and pee on your hay,

So enough was enough with 2 friends who I had helped on their yards we took my mare - took the donkey and my things and vanished.

This is the only time I left the yard in a mess, it was hell up there

Jesus, that sounds like a yard from Deliverance!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I haven't because I've been on part livery. In three cases the set up was the ym was self employed and I paid them direct for livery services separate to the yard. I'd paid up to the end of the month but left earlier so I figured a week's livery service covered that. In all cases I ran the bed down so there wasn't much to take out after I left. I can't have upset any of them as I was texted and told I was welcome back if the new yard didn't work out.

Current yard I'm doing a sort of pay as you go, paying by the day so it would be up to me I think.

I've always left feed and tack areas completely clear.

When I've swapped stables on a yard, I've done it all myself as it was my choice to swap and I've just moved the bed to the new stable.

ETA for clarity as part livery means different things to different people, I use it to mean everything except grooming, tack cleaning and exercise.