Cleanly shaven pony!

Pigeon

Visit site
Bit the bullet and clipped today, after poor P worked up a sweat walking in from the field. :rolleyes3: Couldn't get the lines symmetrical enough for a hunter clip (ocd, me?) so just gave in and took it all off. :eek: He was so good, literally just went to sleep and let me do his back legs and everything! He really liked his chin being done for some reason, kept trying to squish it into the clippers.

And then I chased the poor soul around the arena so I could get a photo.

IMG_5827_2_small_copy.jpg

I'm sure I'll be noticing bits I've missed for the next few days. And also trying to get all the hair out of my eyes and mouth...

IMG_6412.jpg

3Beasties

Visit site
Very smart! Glad I'm not the only one who plans to do a blanket and ends up taking it all off! Will be getting someone in to do a blanket on my TB this year I think :biggrin3:

Mine also got clipped out today :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Looks great :) I love clipped coats! so much easier to look after and I like to know my horses are more comfortable working. Clipped 4 this week and managed to beat the OCD for 3 hunter clips, but one ended up full clipped...! Those leg lines are a nightmare

_GG_

Visit site
beauclip_zps0bc0b130.jpg

This is a blanket clip I did on a friends horse last year. I have major ocd with straight lines and symmetry. For some reason it only works if I freestyle it though??

I'm off to start a thread for owners on the dangers of getting people in to clip your horse for you...

twiggy2

Visit site
He looks really smart and more than happy to show off his new haircut.

am hoping mine will be shaven by the end of the week although she will have legs left on, I cant clip comfortably anymore due to hand problems not that it was ever my forte. cant wait for her to look all smart but then I have to tackle the mane-to grow or not to grow is the question.

sandi_84

Visit site
I love that second picture, handsome happy boy! :D

He's looking very smart!

I have also been thinking about a clip for this year, um'ing and ah'ing over whether it's worth it for the amount of work my lad gets. I'd have to have him sedated and get someone in to do it for me though as I have never done a proper clip before. He is starting to get pretty sweaty around his girth area during work though poor boy :(

_GG_

Visit site
I love that second picture, handsome happy boy! :D

He's looking very smart!

I have also been thinking about a clip for this year, um'ing and ah'ing over whether it's worth it for the amount of work my lad gets. I'd have to have him sedated and get someone in to do it for me though as I have never done a proper clip before. He is starting to get pretty sweaty around his girth area during work though poor boy :(

Does he really need sedation? If he doesn't NEED clipping now do you have a set of just trimmers or even an old electric hairbrush that you can use to desensitise him?

Auslander

Visit site
I am amused at the amount of "I full clip, because can't be bothered to do lines" people coming out of the woodwork. I'm another one...Alf was clipped yesterday, and I whipped everything off. I did leave his legs on though, and a half head, because I love his little orange face

Spot_On

Visit site
My horse used to be blanket clipped, and one year he coughed and clippers went right through the blanket clip, so ended up giving him a hunter clip- after that incident he was always hunter clipped and far more comfortable after being ridden.

Vinney

Visit site
We had a go at clipping for the first time this weekend. We tried a bib clip and it looked okay until i noticed a wonky line up the side when grooming last night. My grand daughters did the clip as they wanted to have a go and one side looks really good. They are only twelve years old so I think they were brave to have a try. I will get them to put it right this evening as I think it will be more beneficial to them to sort it out than me take over. Not that I am any good as my eyesight is a bad. It was the first time for the pony too and he was very well behaved, he almost dozed off.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
beauclip_zps0bc0b130.jpg

This is a blanket clip I did on a friends horse last year. I have major ocd with straight lines and symmetry. For some reason it only works if I freestyle it though??

I'm off to start a thread for owners on the dangers of getting people in to clip your horse for you...

They are seriously straight lines!! I always start off wanting a blanket but even watching someone else clip my OCD takes over and eventually the whole thing comes off. I may try actually clipping myself this time but I imagine its one of those things that looks really easy but is actually really hard!

_GG_

Visit site
They are seriously straight lines!! I always start off wanting a blanket but even watching someone else clip my OCD takes over and eventually the whole thing comes off. I may try actually clipping myself this time but I imagine its one of those things that looks really easy but is actually really hard!

Bold and quick. The slower you do it, the more wobbly the line :)

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Bold and quick. The slower you do it, the more wobbly the line :)

Thanks for the tip, will have to give it a go. My main problem is above the tail when doing a full clip, normally have a little "v" but it drives me mad as I'm convinced it's not symmetrical and I don't have my own clippers to play around! The OCD is so out of control I've considered drawing up a template!! :)

_GG_

Visit site
Thanks for the tip, will have to give it a go. My main problem is above the tail when doing a full clip, normally have a little "v" but it drives me mad as I'm convinced it's not symmetrical and I don't have my own clippers to play around! The OCD is so out of control I've considered drawing up a template!! :)

Oh don't get me started. Had a perfect upsidedown V today on YMs daughters pony and then she said could it be a bit smaller. Stupid ponies hair is tricky and do you think I could get it to where I was happy with it again? No. Not a chance in hell.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Oh don't get me started. Had a perfect upsidedown V today on YMs daughters pony and then she said could it be a bit smaller. Stupid ponies hair is tricky and do you think I could get it to where I was happy with it again? No. Not a chance in hell.

That'll be me on Thursday. Last year it just ended up getting smaller and smaller! I have also had this issue going near my horse with scissors, I don't trust myself after the time I trimmed his tail and decided it wasn't quite straight so kept going until I stepped back and it was hock length. Everyone could spot him a mile off in the field as he was the one with the stupidly short tail!!

sandi_84

Visit site
Does he really need sedation? If he doesn't NEED clipping now do you have a set of just trimmers or even an old electric hairbrush that you can use to desensitise him?

Yes unfortunately if I were to clip him he would, he has been clipped before (I've seen the pics) but I have no idea if he was sedated, last time the girl at my yard attempted it he was fine until she got a patch off his shoulder and then he freaked out :( He'd need sedalin or something at least to take the edge off.
I don't know that he does NEED it as such, I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it or not as I don't have time to work him as much as I'd like and my sharer is leaving in a couple of weeks so he'll not get worked from that quarter either now. I don't have either but was thinking cheap electric toothbrush to try desensitising him with for the event that I ever actually do really need to clip :)
I'll probably not bother clipping this year thinking about it tbh.

buddylove

Visit site
My boy has been clipped for the first time today, hogged as well as he had rubbed out most of his mane :-(
Really proud of him as he can be a bit of a fidget, but stood like a rock today!
Here are his before and afters....

20131008_115101_zps23c4aac8.jpg

you can't see his mane but trust me it was a state!!!

20131008_123856_zpsd6308b8b.jpg

all done and looking less than impressed!!

_GG_

Visit site
My boy has been clipped for the first time today, hogged as well as he had rubbed out most of his mane :-(
Really proud of him as he can be a bit of a fidget, but stood like a rock today!
Here are his before and afters....

20131008_115101_zps23c4aac8.jpg

you can't see his mane but trust me it was a state!!!

20131008_123856_zpsd6308b8b.jpg

all done and looking less than impressed!!

Looks fab :)