Clear XC at Carlton BE100 - Bill comes good :o)

BeckyD

Visit site
Right I'm about post "watermarked" pro photos that I have purchased and been given full permission to post absolutely anywhere I wish, including here :D I remember a post coming up saying to send an email to someone if you've got permission to post watermarked pics but I can't find it...?!

So the day dawned for Carlton Horse Trials, which was the culmination of my sponsorship programme courtesy of Scotts of Thrapston Rider Development Programme. I even had to be interviewed over the commentary system yesterday! I had slightly annoying times of 10.12, 1.19 and 1.57 so a bit of hanging about but I walked the course for a second time and watched some SJ so it was fine. I was all alone for dressage as my long-suffering OH had a better offer than being unpaid groom!

Dressage warmup went well but then as we were going for test, Bill got a fly in hs ear - what bad luck. He spent the test shaking his head from side to side and trying to get his ear inside his knee! Was expecting a 50 or worse, so very pleasantly surprised with 36.5 considering. Judge was very kind and merely noted contact issues!

Baydale VERY kindly warmed us up for SJ and Bill was jumping brilliantly - possibly the best I've ever felt him. SJ was causing a lot of problems as the sun was shining off the lovely bright fillers, and there were quite a few stops/eliminations/retirements before me. Bill went in and went feral! We played the left/right game to the first and the rest of the round followed suit! He thought about stopping at 4a, but I committed him so instead he just ploughed through it :eek: Made it clear over 4b and took off in a panic, so I had to really sharply pull right to get over 5 at a very poor angle. The rest of the course finished in a bit of a blur but finished with just the 4 faults. Here are 2 nice pics:

[Content removed]

[Content removed]

Next up was the XC. During the week I had decided not to run XC due to the lack of rain, but the course actually wasn't too bad in most parts. They had aerovated it which had made more difference than I'd have expected, and when I walked the course in the morning, the Novice horses were leaving hoofprints in the ground, so I figured it had enough give to take a steady trip round. They had left very good grass cover as well.

He warmed up a bit rubbish to be honest - possibly the heat/hard ground taking its toll. We set off over fence 1 keenly, flew over fence 2 on a flyer (I had meant to put another stride in but Bill said he was OK from that one), trotted down into the woods and trotted over fence 3, a log drop. Cantered up the hill in the woods and gently popped the rails, to make a tight right turn down the steps, which he popped nicely down (I have a fear of steps down so freeze a bit). Then cantered across the hill to the Helsinki rails, then to the first real question, the angled skinny trakehner. Bill was fighting a bit coming towards this so I brought him back to trot, then sent him forwards in canter and gave him no choice but to jump it and he gave me a nice jump. Down the hill then to the road crossing 8a and b which he jumped out well over, then a sharp left turn.

At this point, our way was almost blocked by spectators with a buggy and Bill freaked out and shot sideways into the crop. I pulled him up and waited for the spectators to move, then we snorted and huffed and puffed (Bill can be such a moron) in slow trot past them, then set off at the canter over the triple rails. I saw a lovely forward stride to the hedge but Bill decided to sneak a small sideways one in so that he could jump the smallest bit of it (lazy pony!), then set off at the gallop up the hill and over the offset palisades. Next up was the curvy log which I brought him right back for, having been dropped on my head at several logs, then off to the egg basket. Again, I saw a lovely forward stride but Bill stuffed a short one in and we got a bit close but made it safely over without touching it:

[Content removed]

I gave a kick and a slap to say "oi! look out for us please!" and next up was the trakehner, which we dropped to trot in front of as the line of shade was perfectly on the lip of the ditch and Bill took a second to figure it out, but then popped back up into canter and neatly jumped it:

[Content removed]

then made the curving downhill 3 strides to the skinny rolltop.

Next was the other question - a very skinny hedge to two strides to step down, but Bill made nothing of it, sailed over and accelerated towards the water, which he jumped confidently into. Next was the hedge and galloped up the hill to the last, and flew over that and galloped through the finish. He finished full of steam but then we had gone very slowly (30.8 time faults! - only 3 people in my section were within the time and lots had more than 10 time faults).

I was more thrilled than you can imagine - a clear at BE100 had seemed an impossibility just 12 months ago.

I have learnt so much from Baydale and in my Scotts RDP lessons with Nick Turner and Simon Lawrance. I'd love to say I remember it all but Bill is never the same twice so it's hard sometimes to remember which bits to apply! I need to learn to go faster XC although Carlton wasn't about that as I was taking it easy for the ground.

Next up is ALW BE100, and that should be a better test of time-making! I shall keep kicking!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Brilliant. Thoroughly deserved. Your persistence is finally starting to pay dividends. Others would have thrown in the towel long ago. Fantastic :)
PS if you find yourself short of a groom at future events just drop me a pm. If I'm free would be happy to help.

sabel

Visit site
Sounds like you had a really good day, photos are great. I was there on Sunday in the 90 and heard your interview while I was waiting for xc! The Scotts RDP sounds like it was really useful. Good luck at ALW.

BeckyD

Visit site
Brilliant. Thoroughly deserved. Your persistence is finally starting to pay dividends. Others would have thrown in the towel long ago. Fantastic :)
PS if you find yourself short of a groom at future events just drop me a pm. If I'm free would be happy to help.

Thank you - on all points. I knew there was a good horse in there I just had to find out how to ride him to get the best out of him. One breakthrough moment was that morning at Moulton - thank you! I ride much more positively into SJ rings now and it's made such a big difference.

:D

And thank you - if you are free and that happens again I would be very grateful, albeit I was fine on my own :). I thankfully had Baydale and another friend there for the SJ and XC.

BeckyD

Visit site
Sounds like you had a really good day, photos are great. I was there on Sunday in the 90 and heard your interview while I was waiting for xc! The Scotts RDP sounds like it was really useful. Good luck at ALW.

Oh haha that interview was a bit nerve-wracking; I forgot to say half the things I meant to and just waffled!

Hope you had a good day yesterday - I was fence judging fence 18 so would have seen you. Thank you - and good luck at your next event.

BeckyD

Visit site

glamourpuss

Visit site
Well done you!! You & Bill are going from strength to strength which is just because of your hard work & determination :)

Small request....could you one day repost the naughty Bill video it does make me laugh!!

Saints_fan88

Visit site
Big well done on your clear - it was a big track! Really sad I didn't get to ride round it but my boy was just being too wimpy on the hard ground!!

Love your video!!! You must be really near to us as we go to all the same venues, reckon I've probably got enough for outtakes too now! Well done for persevering, you should be very proud :)

Lynds

Visit site
He finished full of steam but then we had gone very slowly (30.8 time faults! - only 3 people in my section were within the time and lots had more than 10 time faults).

-I got 9.5 time faults - the most I have ever had unaff or aff at 90cm and 100cm.... not sure if they taped it tight, or I was on a go slow- but I'll be kicking on at Chilham next weekend! :) Well done on your clear, I didnt think it was an easy BE100! Plenty of non finishers and problems!

BeckyC

Visit site
Well done!!!! Sounds like a brilliant day and tf dont matter at all, time is easy to make up! was in the warm up of the xc when you had your interview and you sounded very good :)

BeckyD

Visit site
Well done!!!! Sounds like a brilliant day and tf dont matter at all, time is easy to make up! was in the warm up of the xc when you had your interview and you sounded very good :)

Aw thank you! I felt a bit silly waffling on! Did you have a good day? I was on fence judge duty so couldn't come to say hello - if I'd have even managed to find you.

BeckyD

Visit site
-I got 9.5 time faults - the most I have ever had unaff or aff at 90cm and 100cm.... not sure if they taped it tight, or I was on a go slow- but I'll be kicking on at Chilham next weekend! :) Well done on your clear, I didnt think it was an easy BE100! Plenty of non finishers and problems!

That's interesting! Half of my section had more than 10 time faults so I guess either everyone was on a go slow because of the ground, or else it was wheeled tight.

Good luck at Chilham!!

FireFly29

Visit site
We had a reasonable dressage score then jumped double clear with some xc time faults. I was super pleased with my horse as she has only done one 80cm unaffiliated ode previously and a couple of combined training comps and she's not always the bravest (she's only 6 though).
Carlton was lovely, I might try and do Aston unaffiliated next.

BeckyD

Visit site
Big well done on your clear - it was a big track! Really sad I didn't get to ride round it but my boy was just being too wimpy on the hard ground!!

Love your video!!! You must be really near to us as we go to all the same venues, reckon I've probably got enough for outtakes too now! Well done for persevering, you should be very proud :)

Yes I think you are very close!

Out takes videos are great ;).

Sorry that your lovely horse wasn't feeling himself on the hard ground. :(. There's always another day though. I wouldn't have run Bill if it hadn't been for the RDP.

dafthoss

Visit site
Well done! :D Bill looks great and there was definitely a post about pro photos the other day. Loving Bill's out takes!

BeckyC

Visit site
Aw thank you! I felt a bit silly waffling on! Did you have a good day? I was on fence judge duty so couldn't come to say hello - if I'd have even managed to find you.

You didnt waffle at all it was very interesting to hear :D It was a bit of a mixed day, pony decided to get back to his racing roots and played demolition derby with the sj (going to take that as just one of those things though as he's never had more than one down in a round in his life!!!!) he had 2 stops xc but not at the fences, we ran into number 4 as he was too busy looking at the ditch at the side and he was a little worried about jumping into the woods at number 6 so i just walked him up to it to have a look and then he popped it nicely next time :) we had very limited brakes though but he had lots of fun :D we were the first on course for the 90 so you might remember us :D

BeckyD

Visit site
We had a reasonable dressage score then jumped double clear with some xc time faults. I was super pleased with my horse as she has only done one 80cm unaffiliated ode previously and a couple of combined training comps and she's not always the bravest (she's only 6 though).
Carlton was lovely, I might try and do Aston unaffiliated next.

Well done - that sounds great! Can't ask for more really can you?! Aston is lovely - we have done their unaff there several times. Don't miss a SJ fence out like I did on my first trip there ;)

Good luck!

BeckyD

Visit site
You didnt waffle at all it was very interesting to hear :D It was a bit of a mixed day, pony decided to get back to his racing roots and played demolition derby with the sj (going to take that as just one of those things though as he's never had more than one down in a round in his life!!!!) he had 2 stops xc but not at the fences, we ran into number 4 as he was too busy looking at the ditch at the side and he was a little worried about jumping into the woods at number 6 so i just walked him up to it to have a look and then he popped it nicely next time :) we had very limited brakes though but he had lots of fun :D we were the first on course for the 90 so you might remember us :D

Oh dear haha about demolition derby! The SJ did seem to be causing a few problems :)

Ouch if you actually ran into fence 4! Caught on video?! Good idea at fence 6 - Bill was equally worried the very first time we tried to jump that log. The woods there can worry them.

I just missed you as I was late getting back to my fence after the interview, so missed the first few. Boo! Don't worry my fellow RDP'er Eleanor and her mum were in charge of our fence whilst I was away!

What's next for you?