cleveland bays [hero to zero]

Clippy

Visit site
Clevelands cross well with any breed. They put bone, substance and serenity into breedy or flighty mares and quality and stamina into heavier types. There's not a big market for pure-breds though.

I've got 5 part-breds and a pure-bred. I know if I wanted to sell the part-breds they would fly out, but my pure-bred mare is for sale and i've had no interest. So what does that tell you?

harveysmom

Visit site
Clevelands cross well with any breed. They put bone, substance and serenity into breedy or flighty mares and quality and stamina into heavier types. There's not a big market for pure-breds though.

I've got 5 part-breds and a pure-bred. I know if I wanted to sell the part-breds they would fly out, but my pure-bred mare is for sale and i've had no interest. So what does that tell you?

people dont realise what they are missing the more time i spend with my pures the more i realise what a bond you get with them, they are a pleasure to spend time with
tell me more about your mare please

Kaylum

Visit site
My boss used to breed them about 25 years ago he supplied them to the police. Then the Irish Draught came along and the police wanted those instead. So he changed breeds.

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
So glad I've found this thread!

I have a part bred although she's more CB than anything else she's actually chestnut. She's 16.2 and a gentle giant to me (5'2"). She's very inquisitive - I can totally identify with the lady who said hers may have been a gardener in a former life my girl is like that - she has to look over every garden wall as we go past and sometimes stops to weigh up what is going on.

She's very much loved by all the family and is one of the kindest, most honest horses we have ever owned (& we've had a few different breeds and some really lovely horses over the years). She will stand for ages almost going to sleep while you fuss her and talk to her. She loves to be out and about. All we do now is hacking (she's 8) not because of her ability but that's all I want to do at the moment. That said our saddle fitter would like to take her hunting and maybe next season we will arrange this as I think the experience will be one she would love.

She looks after us all and whilst she's the alpha mare in the herd she's also like the grand matriach/caring one. The shetland we have uses her almost like a field shelter and will stand behind her sheltering from heavy rain etc. She commands total respect from the other horses and ponies. At the same time if we take one of them out and leave her behind she will call out to them and look for them until they return.

When we first got her we were told by her previous owner that you can only ever do things if she wants to and in her time as she is so stubborn but we find that as long as she knows her place in the pecking order whilst you can almost see or feel her rolling her eyes in a "ok if I must do this...." kind of resigned manner she will do whatever is asked very willingly.

I would happily have another Cleveland Bay either part or pure bred tomorrow. She's very beautiful and has a kind eye. She loves to be stroked and fussed - especially around her muzzle area and does this really cute thing where her bottom lip quivvers - especially if there's something she isn't so sure about or she's really content (work that one out!).

She's into everything - will take a nibble out of the umbrella the others shy away from and last week whipped off with the silk from my grand daughters (who's only 2 1/2) riding hat whilst she was wearing it! We'd only just bought her it and a bp as we're just starting to put her onto the shetland (she's also horse mad - it's in the genes!).

If there was anything negative it would be that she's not brilliant at being spacially aware and you have to watch your toes/feet as she would stand on them without realising.

I love her to bits and she is the horse that I am going to grow old with.;)

harveysmom

Visit site
My boss used to breed them about 25 years ago he supplied them to the police. Then the Irish Draught came along and the police wanted those instead. So he changed breeds.

your comment says it all they are rarer than ever because they are out of fashion i think the irish are better sales people than us

Visit site
I'm a huge Cleveland Bay fan, who has had the honour and pleasure of working with these horses, and I now own a pure mare, who will be going to stud next year.!
I think Cleveland's are out of fashion and that breaks my heart, and the reason I think they're so out of fashion is due to a few, rather poignant factors. As mentioned at the start of this conversation, they truly are the gentlemen and ladies of the equine world, the most sort after and versatile horse of the last, probably 400 years or so, but then along came the engine. The industrial revolution was a blow to the Cleveland but the two world wars which were to follow absolutely annihilated the breed, I dare say they would be extinct now if it wasn't for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. I think during the years from the war ending untill the queen started with her campaign, there were no clevelands about, horses mostly dead, men that worked the horses mostly dead or coping with the huge depression after the war, or, too old. So any of these horses left were probably turned out to grass,(knowing what good doers these horses are can only in my mind be why lots of people will refer to Cleveland's as big, fat and ugly) enter the huge rise in popularity of the Irish Draught, which is itself a fabulous horse, young handsome, fit Irish horses or the practically ferral, big old farmers horse ? Not exactly a hard choice, esp because of the colour diversity in the Irish horse. Tragic isn't it, I feel such affection, admiration and all of those things for these horses, also a huge historic significance as well. My surname is Eltringham, it comes from a place on the river Tyne, near Gateshead, which is still called Eltringham, all my paternal family can be traced back to that area, which is I believe the same area from which the Cleveland type horse originated. Sorry to go on but one of my forefathers was indeed a blacksmith from the 1600s, I try to imagine him shoeing these horses, and hope he loved them like I do.(could be coincidence, but my brother is a farrier as well). Anyway I hope all that made sense, what does everybody else think? One last thing, people should be made to know that these horses were one of the major foundations of this country, from way, way, before the industrial revolution and beyond, and there bravery and loyalty during the wars should be recognized and most highly commended, they are hero's and they should never be forgotten! Lol, just saw the quick reply button, sorry!

Shantara

Visit site
Many years ago (before any of us were born!) there used to be one living in the garden a few doors down! I would have loved to meet him :D

I've always wanted one, ever since I saw a picture in an old horse book!

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
The're not fashionable, people seem to think European or American = superior. At the moment it seems to be Friesans. Other times it's been Spanish Horses or Quarter Horses for example.
I think it's sad because there's native breeds for any discipline that are as good and better than any others in the world. I think Welsh Cobs are the best and soundest all-rounders ever, and I don't even like the bloody minded stroppy things!
Only ever known 2 CB's both partbreds, both fab.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Its the same with dog breeds - people would rather have a fashionable foreign breed or mutant mix than they would have a Sussex spaniel or a Sealyham or a Skye terrier :-((((

We dont know what we have in front of our faces until we lose it. Cleveland bays to me are the absolute epitome of a proper horse along with Suffolk Punchs and Exmoors. Dont expect I will ever own either but love both to bits (hmm maybe I should lean on OH for another horse :)))

Milkmaid

Visit site
Farmer near me, who I used to work for many moons ago breeds them.

He used to breed them for the Queen but now tends to sell them in batches as 2yr olds. Occasional years he would chuck a TB stallion out with them to get a batch of Partbreds.

We had a livery who took hers from Pre novice up to Advance, he was stunning but could be the most pig headed, stubborn horse who loved to dance around on his back legs if the mood took him :eek: But he used to win on his dressage score every time, boy could he move!

and years and years ago, before AI was popular, the local farm horses tended to go to the local stallion. Ours was a beautiful CB stallion called Sir Robert. Our 'farm' horses were a huge big iron grey cob with feathers and a bay arab x, they both threw gorgeous foals to him. One out of the bay arab x (15.2) and Robert at 16.1 ish was Dun & made 17.2hh!!! He eventually grew into his ears, lol!!

Hawks27

Visit site
They a re beautiful noble horses and if i had the money i would happily buy one or better still breed them myself. I was very fortunate in ym teens to be loaned the lvoely and greatly named king henry the best hunter imaginable bold brave clever never put a foot wrong and the cuddliest soppy giant of a friend i would recommend a CB to anyone

CBFan

Visit site
They are pig headed, big thinking, sometimes clumbsy but gentle, hardworking, comical, intelligent horses and I wouldn't have anything but.

I think it takes a certain type of person to own a cleveland... maybe a certain level of stubbornness... I know with handling, training and riding mine it comes down to who gives up first... and it is never me!! lol!

Mine is just starting to show some promise under saddle so I hope to get him out next year an then do my bit for the breed in the years to come and breed one or two of my own... :)

Shazzababs

Visit site
I used to exercise a full bred one and then bought my own part bred. Here he is:

picture.php

picture.php

He is 17 this year (photo's are old), and is currently wintering out rug-less. Last night I suggested had his rug on (cos it was a bit wet and windy) he shook his head and high tailed it off down the field!

Both the CB's I've known have been independent thinkers (like ponies), and they have liked to work or they got naughty. They have also had a real 'I don't think I will' type stubborn streak and a nasty buck in them if you really upset them, but the extent to which you see this tends to depend on how occupied they keep their brains, especially when young. However like ponies, once they settle and decide they like you the will do anything for you.

I want to have a pure bred next, when I have the time and the money to do them justice.

Visit site
Hey Shazzababs's, that's one mighty fine chap youve got there! Who are his parents, do you know? He looks like Wigginton Antonio, I know that a lot of people did, not sure if they still do, prefer more of a bright bay, but for me the darker, the better!

redriverrock

Visit site
I really hope this breed coninues and prospers, I have very fond memories of a lovely cleveland who as a teenager hooning around the countryside was my idea of 'real' horse and certainly looked after me.

Pipkin

Visit site
I have one, well OH does, I steal her when they argue :p
She's not terribly stubborn, has her moments, but is the most loyal, friendly and brave horse I have known. Wouldn't change her for the world.
Can often be found waiting by the back door to say good morning :p
Excuse the photo overload

541515_126852157445867_380264786_n.jpg

558372_119399551524461_781887515_n.jpg

533463_123302784467471_1824605976_n.jpg

426150_108688169262266_106784044_n.jpg

76539_213333682131047_413817924_n.jpg

KSR

Visit site
It's because they haven't been marketed well and there are years of misconceptions..

I have never had a days trouble with any of my four purebreds.. Backed and raised by myself.. No behavioural issues, working issues and they have temperaments to die for..

One of the problems is the people who mishandle them or don't take the time to work appropriately with them, leading to big horses that know their size and weight and are more than clever enough and stoic enough to stick to their guns if they do or do not want to do something.. My Maje taught my RI a thousand and more new tricks as a newly backed youngster, most amusing! This has resulted in the breed having it's bolshy, stubborn, often negative reputation..

I could go on my soap box but will refrain this morning :)

councillor

Visit site
I have met two in my 24 yrs around horses. One when I was 16 and he was a not long backed 4yo, he was very sweet and a gentleman to both handle and ride, he never put a foot wrong in the two years he was at our yard. I cried when he was sold and went on to his new home.
The other one I have known in recent years, but he was was 3/4 cb 1/4 tb, he stood just under 17hh and he was the most handsome horse I have met, he had such presence about him, again he was very, very gentle with fantastic manners.My daughter (at the age of eight) used to go and catch him and ride him in from the field bare back through two gates without getting off, parking in the right place so she can open them, he was in full charge of all gate manoeuvres ! To ride he came into his own cross country, he would just eat the course up and would work out any technical fence without a second thought. We sadly lost him four years ago and the entire yard felt a deep loss for a long time.
I have a WB x mare now and she is very difficult at times and highly strung making her unpredictable. I love her to bits but in recent months I have been quietly thinking that as our ridden time together is winding down, due to her having lameness issues, that in the future I would love to find something like these two CB boys I knew in my past.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Hey Shazzababs's, that's one mighty fine chap youve got there! Who are his parents, do you know? He looks like Wigginton Antonio, I know that a lot of people did, not sure if they still do, prefer more of a bright bay, but for me the darker, the better!

His sire is Bantree Bere, used to be down in Kent, I believe his has passed away now.

The TB side is just a friends mare, but he has a racehorse called 'Polina' a couple of generations back, who I'm told was pretty nice.

He is bright bay in the summer and almost black in the winter.

I love the way that CB's always seam to have the same expressions on their faces. Pipkin's is making exactly the same faces that mine does!

KSR

Visit site
Bantree Bere was a very nice stallion.. He is dead but you can still get frozen semen.. Well, you could last time I looked :)

Visit site
He was grand wasnt he, just out of interest, if my memory serves me correctly, Wigginton Antonio was runner up to Bantry Bere who claimed king george v cup, year after Wigginton Antonio won it, probably 1988 and 1989 ??? How sad these magnificent stallions are no longer with us x

Talkingshell

Visit site
He was grand wasnt he, just out of interest, if my memory serves me correctly, Wigginton Antonio was runner up to Bantry Bere who claimed king george v cup, year after Wigginton Antonio won it, probably 1988 and 1989 ??? How sad these magnificent stallions are no longer with us x

Lovely thread....yes I agree those magnificent pure CB stallions are no longer around, they were the ones that started the CB breed and now they are struggling to keep the breed alive today :eek:

Here's my Cleveland Bay Sporthorse gelding, my dear boy! His name is CM Cullen Eachan. He's 25% CB x 75% TB and being trained for dressage. We are from Australia in Queensland State.
*photos* coming soon - photobucket lets me to upload!

Talkingshell

Visit site
Lovely thread....yes I agree those magnificent pure CB stallions are no longer around, they were the ones that started the CB breed and now they are struggling to keep the breed alive today :eek:

Here's my Cleveland Bay Sporthorse gelding, my dear boy! His name is CM Cullen Eachan. He's 25% CB x 75% TB and being trained for dressage. We are from Australia in Queensland State.
*photos* coming soon - photobucket lets me to upload!
Couldn't edit so here's the photos for above thread.
7.jpg

michelle_-25.jpg

Last edited:
Visit site
What a guy! You must be very proud, I am totally gobsmacked as to why people are not that interested in these horses???? I dont bloody get it!!! Fab temperaments, fab movers, fab jumpers, hunters, eventers, you name it they can do it, and for me that unboken colouring absolutely gives them the wow factor! Lol, did you know I like Cleveland Bays! You have a diamond x
" All things in life have their parallel, except the Cleveland Bay, for he is second to none "

Ladyinred

Visit site
Sadly I have never had the privilege of meeting a CB although it is a breed I have always thought vastly under rated. Have hankered after one for many years, but too late now.

It really bugs me that such a valuable breed is in danger through no reason other than fashion. We should value ALL our native breeds, they are all there for a purpose and it is dreadful to think of them dying out while warmbloods ( relatively characterless and boring!!) prosper at their expense.

What it needs is for someone high profile to champion the breed and show what can be done with them.