Clinic report - Kate Dwyer

Sheep

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I thought I’d post a separate thread on this as it was so good! Today Big Unit & I attended a dressage day hosted by Bluegrass feeds at a local equestrian centre. Along with a weighbridge (he is 661kg) and chats about feed, we also had a lesson with Irish international rider Kate Dwyer, a test riding demo with 2 guinea pig riders, and a sports psychology workshop at the end. Oh, and free lunch, and goodie bags for all!

The lessons were split into groups - I was in a group of 4. We had:
Me - competing unaff novice & starting to school some elem
A young rider who has temporarily taken the reins of my instructor’s 6yo (competing aff novice)
A lady who has recently taken the ride of a horse competing up to med, who is stepping down a gear
Another livery from my yard who isn’t long back in the saddle after having her baby - she’s just dipping her toe into dressage and has been out and about doing intros

So, we were quite a mixed group so it was testament to Kate’s skills that she very quickly identified exercises to benefit us all. She had a quick chat with each of us and then sent us out to start working!

Firstly we focused on refining rider position - then we worked on making sure our walk was very purposeful and punchy. Next, we moved on to working on improving the quality of our trot - walk - trot transitions. I am guilty of just falling into walk! So these were great for me, and a nice opportunity to pick up more marks in tests.

We then focused on some trot work - keeping the horse in front of the leg, and maintaining a steady, consistent and elastic contact.

FE6ECDF4-C7E8-4770-8A1A-FAB68646D525.jpeg

She then called us in individually to work on canter. For me, I am super guilty of letting him escape through the outside shoulder. She gave me lots of practical tips to help with catching the shoulder, keeping him straight and ensuring the trot - canter - trot transitions were accurate and correct. This was super effective and the result was a much tidier canter, and a lovely, energetic and forward trot too.

C49C0578-1F0D-4993-A27A-8E435FF16F95.jpeg
E8307F84-056C-402F-B69A-E23F334DE4AF.jpeg
4465B272-AB86-44D1-9DFA-8C6FB42D112F.jpeg
4216A178-9FE7-46AB-9AB7-674FBEB18987.jpeg

Finally, we rounded off with some leg yielding, again focusing on not allowing him to escape through the shoulder but instead thinking forward and sideways - much more organised and correct ?

C6E3D6A9-1DEF-40FE-AC55-2C5C4959B077.jpeg

A really super session with a fantastic teacher who had a super balance between teaching and technicality - she was able to grade everything to suit her individual audience, and was very kind, positive and encouraging!

The test riding demo was also excellent. Kate is due to have a baby fairly soon, so 2 volunteer riders demonstrated some test riding for prelim & elem level, with Kate providing insight, hints & tips. The prelim rider was a young event rider superstar, fresh back from the pony Europeans with her 6yo, and a local pro on her 26yo(!) who is still out competing elem/med.
Again, super useful - top tip, if riding the centre line from inside the arena, pretend your turn is 9m rather than 10 - less noticeable to do a subtle leg yield over by 1m, than to go back on yourself if you overshoot ?

The psychology session was super and really focused on the influence of attitude to work in general - lots about getting in the zone, maintaining focus & positive visualisation.

A super day out!!

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds like a great format for a day clinic. I’ve only seen that amount of stuff at a camp. Sounds like a great day out with lots to take away.