Clinic report

Sheep

Visit site
Last week, after a glass* of wine, I was browsing through FB and saw a local rider was running a dressage clinic this weekend. As we had no other plans, I booked OH for his towing services and booked myself in.

*might have been a bottle

I hadn’t ever attended a clinic before but realistically it’s just a fancy name for a group lesson, isn’t it?!

Anyway, boxed over today to a venue I hadn’t heard of previously. It was a very smart livery yard, with a lovely indoor & outdoor, very good surfaces on each. As soon as we arrived we were greeted and told where everything was which was really nice ?

Anyway, got tacked up and big horse decided the outdoor arena was absolutely terrifying ? but he quickly wised up. Once we went into the indoor, he had a bit of a meltdown at the perspex window on the viewing gallery. He did settle but felt a wee bit uptight at first, once we started working properly he decided to relax.

The trainer (Yvette Truesdale) chatted to each of us at the start to learn a bit about our horses and our goals. I am only really a competent prelim rider haha but starting on lateral work and mediums. The others were probably a level above me but she quickly identified exercises that would benefit all of us, with the goal of really engaging the hind and encouraging that proper stepping under.

So we warmed up individually, with Yvette taking time to look at each of us and ask questions about how the horse felt and what we could be doing to help them out.

On to the work then!
We started with simple walk up the 3/4 line, focusing on being truly straight. Once we had that mastered, same again but introducing the bend, then leg yielding out to the track, then asking the shoulder to come in. Same again on the other rein.

Then we did the same again but in the trot, eventually shortening the turn to a couple of metres off the track, again on both reins.

There was a strong focus on precision, accuracy and correctness. The big focus was on engaging the hind leg. I found Yvette to be very encouraging and positive. She explained things well and touched on the technical details, but kept it simple if that makes sense? Big horse really was a very good boy, very happy with him!

Now for a few flattering stills from videos!

6AD851CC-2F1E-48BB-951A-37ED4BCEC26A.jpegIgnore my face haha!

6EC4975D-CD15-4F6D-8E59-3AF10CC51830.jpeg
B9434F1F-1EA0-458F-B27B-32589ACB3163.jpeg
Relaxing at the end:
739C0781-0FFE-4B35-85B6-D08059C487F3.jpeg

I had a great day. We are so lucky in equestrian sports that we have access to top class training, even as total amateurs! I don’t think many sports are as accessible. There’s another clinic running in a couple of weeks, hopefully I can make it to that - if not, will definitely be booking more lessons with her ad hoc, to go alongside lessons with my current instructor ?

Sheep

Visit site
Thanks guys! It was really good. Straightforward but effective!
Will maybe practice a bit more tonight. Then jump tomorrow so horse doesn’t forget he’s meant to be an eventer ?

Sheep

Visit site
Portmore??

Its lovely....

Fiona

No actually ? a place called Wheatfield out towards Warrenpoint. A really nice, friendly spot. I hadn’t heard of it before until I saw the event on fb. Super facilities especially given it is quite a small place. Nice 20x40 outdoor and I’d say the indoor is probably 30x50 or so. Really nice surface in both. It also had a nice all weather hacking track, we will toddle round it next time we are there.

Portmore is very handy to us, we aren’t too far from Moira. We actually went up there a couple of weeks ago for schooling, outdoors though. Their arenas are lovely!

Fiona

Visit site
No actually ? a place called Wheatfield out towards Warrenpoint. A really nice, friendly spot. I hadn’t heard of it before until I saw the event on fb. Super facilities especially given it is quite a small place. Nice 20x40 outdoor and I’d say the indoor is probably 30x50 or so. Really nice surface in both. It also had a nice all weather hacking track, we will toddle round it next time we are there.

Portmore is very handy to us, we aren’t too far from Moira. We actually went up there a couple of weeks ago for schooling, outdoors though. Their arenas are lovely!

Ohh yes, I've heard of it but not been there yet....

I love lessons with Yvette :)

Fiona

smolmaus

Visit site

Look like I have passed the place a hundred times (my OH's Dad lives 10 seconds down that road) and never noticed it was even there lol whoops!

Sounds like a super day!

Carrottom

Visit site
Sounds and looks really good. I'm very jealous, in Wales we are not allowed out for lessons ?
I was surprised you were in an indoor school, is that allowed in England now?

doodle

Visit site
Is this allowed now? Here we are not allowed in an indoor school. And not allowed to ride with more than one household. Instructors are only allowed to teach one household at a time and only teach one household per day.

Sheep

Visit site
Just on the indoor thing:
I hadn’t thought about it much, to be honest I assumed it must be OK given this is how the organisers had planned it, and as we know being in an indoor arena (with large open doors etc) isn’t really similar to being inside in the traditional sense, that said, I am happy to be corrected on that point. Distancing was observed at all times and good hygiene practices were employed by the venue.
We are allowed to be in groups of up to 6 over here, don’t know if it is the same or different in England.

Wheels

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it sheep, non essential shops will be open by friday here in NI so a socially distanced indoor school wouldn't worry me :D

Roxylola

Visit site
I think it depends on the interpretation of the rules and also on what funding the centres may have applied for etc. Indoor sports/leisure is obviously a no go - gyms etc cannot open. Practically anyone who has spent any time in an "indoor" school knows that they at best keep the rain off. They are very different from a gym with air con, shared equipment etc etc. However,if a venue has been granted funding on the basis of calling it indoor leisure/sports facilities I think it would be very difficult for them to make a case to reopen now on the basis that it's not really like being inside.