Close contact long boots?

Lintel

Visit site
Looking for a pair of nice long boots, after todays lesson I have now decided that riding in my dubarry boots(as comfy as they are) aren't really helping me.
They are big and bulky and I can barely feel the aids I am giving so I'm on the hunt for a nice pair of long boots that aren't too bulky and give me a good contact.

What do you all recommend?

chaps89

Visit site
I love love loved my ariat heritage contours.
I have a pair of Tredstep Donatello now and whilst they're alright, they're not a patch on the ariats. They were a lot cheaper though!

Lintel

Visit site
Thank you all so far, got some boots to get looking at! I'm quite petite so I could probably get away with junior boots too, money saving tactics!

little_critter

Visit site
I recently bought some Broginis which I’m happy with. Previously I had Tredstep Donatello’s which were softer than the Broginis.

Miszeemare

Visit site
I’m short and petite so had the junior Ariat’s before, my current YO/instructor recommended De Neros as she too is vertically challenged. I currently have a pair on order (6 week wait as Italy closes down in August) after trying on nearly every make and model of boot in the tack shop. The shop is very kindly ordering two different width fittings for me to choose from as they can sell one pair to a child/teen?. They are costing £240 which is less than the adult Ariats and only a bit more than the junior version.

palo1

Visit site
I've always killed off Ariat boots too quickly :( I think where my toes/feet bend is the problem as I have never had a pair of Ariats that didn't crack really badly across the toes. They are undoubtedly the most comfortable boots ime!! My Tredstep Donatellos are to die for though and have not cracked in 2 years of hard service, lovely soft leather and super comfy too. I also have a very cheap pair of Premier equine long boots which are amazingly about 4 years old, worn in all weathers and not especially looked after. They have been fantastic and are also comfortable. :)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I love my Just Togs - comfy soft & with nice "feel" against the horse.

I'm 5.3 and they are a great leg length - they aren't posh or showy at all but I don't compete so they are perfect for me ?

Last edited:

Chippers1

Visit site
I've got some kids Tredstep Donatellos, love them! They were quite tight to start with (I had some impressive bruises!) but now that they've settled they're so comfortable :)

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Thank you all so far, got some boots to get looking at! I'm quite petite so I could probably get away with junior boots too, money saving tactics!
I bought the Ariat Bromont junior and saved the VAT, really pleased with them. Then found a pair of Ariat Heritage contour with £100 off because they were small size ?.

Nari

Visit site
I like my Ariat field boots - I find the lacing across the front gives more flexibility through the ankle and also is kinder on the damaged arch of one foot - but realistically any pair of proper long riding boots as opposed to country boots should give you what you're looking for. Go to a big tack shop that stocks several brands and styles and have a trying on session, and remember when you're trying them that they're for riding in not walking.

Lintel

Visit site
I have to say they do look lovely especially in the brown, although at the price of them I'm thinking if maybe be better going with something more well know like ariat?
As the thread has risen from the dead I thought I would update, I bought the MH sovereign. They are lovley ?? Thank you all!

Muddywellies

Visit site
As the thread has risen from the dead I thought I would update, I bought the MH sovereign. They are lovley ?? Thank you all!
Yaay. Mine are getting better and better with use. They were buggers to get done up to start with but I persevered and they are perfect now.

Stenners

Visit site
Jumping on this! How do you find the Soveriegns fit size wise? I seem to be in between sizes on all boots!

My calf is 14.5' and leg height is 16.5"! Shoe size 5!

Muddywellies

Visit site
Yaay. Mine are getting better and better with use. They were buggers to get done up to start with but I persevered and they are perfect now.
Updating to say the Sovereigns were no good at all. Far too soft and dropped a good inch or so meaning they looked short and had baggy ankles. Sold them and went bespoke.

Marigold4

Visit site
If you're after being able to feel the horse and what you are doing with your leg aids, I'd recommend a short boot and half chaps. Easier to find the right fit, cheaper and you don't have to break them in. I have Ariat short boots and Tredstep suede half chaps. They do lots of lengths and widths for the half chaps so you can get a perfect fit. I have tall leather boots for competitons but I hate them!

Stenners

Visit site
I'm now torn between Mountain Horse or Ariat! I have Ariat paddock boots which I absolutely love but have a couple of friends with Mountain Horse long boots and they love them (They have the Soverign two tone)

It's so hard to decide what to go for! Any recommendations?

AFB

Visit site
I haven't found the sovereigns have dropped much at all, in my case because they're quite thin they almost hug my legs and have stayed in place. Perhaps it's a fit thing?

Fit wise I found them much more generous than Ariats - I have a couple of pairs of Ariats in a full calf which *just* fit until they give a little, I ordered the wide fit MH & could get my arm in there too!! Had to return and swap them for the size between regular & wide - can't remember what they call it off the top of my head.

I'm a size 6, roughly 47 height and 39/40 calf if that's any help.

ETA: I haven't looked after my MH very well and they did spend a few days in the sea at Field Farm last year - and one of the press studs on the spur guard has broken already. I'm aware this is mainly my fault but my Ariat's have put up with me much better...