Clover Hill Mare, Stallions 2016?

OldIrish

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I have a clover hill mare who is coming to the end of her breeding career. I would think she only has a foal or two left in her. I really want to breed a traditionally Irish showjumper. She is by Clover Hill and her dam side has a good dash of blood too so I'm looking to go to a sport horse. May possible go to a good boned thoroughbred that is breeding jumpers.
Anyone have any good recommendations of FULLY Irish sport horses in Ireland that they think would suit? I was thinking possible Coevers Diamond Boy. Then theres also Puissance but he seems to be breeding more event type which is not ideally what I'm looking for. Both are old but still covering a few mares each year.
In the past she has bred some great horses to Ballinvella and Cruising, both now obviously dead. I was looking at Cruising Ambassador but he doesn't seem to have many progeny jumping at a high level.
Preferably want a stallion with proven jumping progeny. I'm just finding it hard to find a fully Irish stallion that doesn't have either Clover Hill breeding or is half continential/foreign blood.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Does anyone know if Ballynoe Night Cruise is still about? He's by Cruising out of an ISH mare (TB x ID). very nicely bred on both sides, free of Clover Hill.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
You could consider one of the Cruising clones? Other suggestions would be Loughehoe Guy, Diamond Roller, or Carrick Diamond Lad (I *think* that he's still available...) Each one with impressive offspring results to their name, apart, of course, from the Cruising clones.
HSI will also send you the latest stallion book if you contact them : its a great reference point.

Irish gal

Visit site
Coevers Diamond Boy is a great choice for a jumper but is he still breeding, must be hitting 30. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to compromise as there is no fully Irish horse that I can think of that's getting high level jumpers. Chippison competed at the top level, he's by Cavalier - Holsteiner X ISH's although used in Irish breeding for 30 years now and goes great with Clover Hill.

Riyalan in Waterford is a great jumping TB, his youngsters have made top prices in Goresbridge, although like most ISH's they are destined for eventing. Loughehoe Guy, Grade A TB, naturally getting eventers as that's what people come here to buy. Crosstown Dancer is another good option.

As mentioned get your hands on the stud book and check the stallions you're interested in for progeny out of Clover Hill mares that were achievers. It will list all the good competition horses the stallion got, so that might help narrow it down.

Luci07

Visit site
What about Watermill Swatch? He caught my eye as an incredibly tough TB stallion, retiring sound from racing, then jumping and then finally dressage.

OldIrish

New User
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Was talking to the man who has Coevers Diamond Boy and he is still in action. Fingers crossed she'll go in foal again this year. Have looked into Watermill Swatch and Riyalan. They are good prospects for some of our other mares.

Luci07

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Was talking to the man who has Coevers Diamond Boy and he is still in action. Fingers crossed she'll go in foal again this year. Have looked into Watermill Swatch and Riyalan. They are good prospects for some of our other mares.

I have had a horse out of CDB - he does throw horses that show a strong Draught influence. My horse was a straight TB x and he looked like a pure draught.

OldIrish

New User
Visit site
Thanks Irish Gal will have a look. Was wondering what are your thoughts on Laughton's Flight? Have heard his stock are quite sharp and at times hard to work with but are supposed to be extremely talented ?

Irish gal

Visit site
He would be a fantastic choice for you as his offspring are very commercial. A horse by him out of a pure ISH mare topped one of the sales this year at Goresbridge and the buyer, a big jumping dealer said he was specifically looking for this Irish breeding. I had two broodmares with it, their mother was Laughton's Flight and sharp, jumped 1.30 as a six year-old but was retired due to injury. Her rider told me that if you faced her into a house she would jump it. Her two full sisters, also Laughton's Flight were 1.60 international horses and one jumped nation's cup - Shannondale. So it depends on what you want to do with the foal, if it's upper level jumping you want then he's a great choice, although there's a chance it could be more of a professionals ride.