Clydesdale fans?

Tayto

Visit site
Hi Lisa,

From what you describe, it sounds like feather mites, which most heavies suffer from.

I treat my boy with a twice yearly injection of dectomax which kills them & the eggs that they lay and it's also a wormer. I know some people use Frontline spray but I never have. I also use pig oil & sulphur on the legs which helps and also keeps the feathers in good condition. If using the pig oil & sulphur, I would patch test first as some horses react to the sulphur.

Just a word of caution, left untreated it can be really uncomfortable for the horse. Before my boy was rescued by his previous owner he was just left and he ended up with a massive infection, cracked heels and his feather being stuck in the puss in his heels. The vet said that the infection was so bad that it he hadn't had been treated when they did, he would have to have been pts.

Hi Claire,

Just wanted to give you an update on Tash's legs. The vet was out the other night and she confirmed there was no mites - she did say what it was but I cant remember the name of it now :confused: anyways - she gave me some hydrocortisone to apply daily and she said that it should clear up in no time but it would probably reoccur. She said to watch how much I am using pig oil as it can block the pores and make it worse - I am only applying twice a month at the mo to try and keep condition in her feathers so she said that would be ok. Thanks for your advice - will keep an eye out for mites in the future :)

Tayto

Visit site
HOPE THESE WORK!

Tash1_zps63756052.jpg.html

Tash2_zps55296a51.jpg.html

Tayto

Visit site
Ok guys - need some help here!

How do you upload photos? I have loaded them onto photobucket then pasted the URL into the "insert image" box but they dont work :(

Beausmate

Visit site
Hi Claire,

Just wanted to give you an update on Tash's legs. The vet was out the other night and she confirmed there was no mites - she did say what it was but I cant remember the name of it now :confused: anyways - she gave me some hydrocortisone to apply daily and she said that it should clear up in no time but it would probably reoccur. She said to watch how much I am using pig oil as it can block the pores and make it worse - I am only applying twice a month at the mo to try and keep condition in her feathers so she said that would be ok. Thanks for your advice - will keep an eye out for mites in the future :)

Sounds like mallenders/sallenders. My cob has this, we did treat him for mites, just in case but deffo mallenders. It's a pain. I use skincure on the cracked bits and E45 on the scaly bits behind his knees. I check his legs every day, if I miss a scabby bit it gets worse very fast. There's no cure, you just have to keep on top of it.

cob&onion

Visit site
My mum has a clydesdale x - not sure what he is crossed with, he has the white splash patch under his belly :) big stocky boy standing at 15.3hh.

I haven't got any pics of him at the moment but will get a few when i next visit :)

Spanglesdad

New User
Visit site
Ok guys - need some help here!

How do you upload photos? I have loaded them onto photobucket then pasted the URL into the "insert image" box but they dont work :(

I also had problems using Photobucket. I then used the forum's album page and that seemed to work OK.
This is what I did:
Click on User CP (top left of page), then click on Pictures & a lbums (under Networking), Click on Add album
You can then add a title for your pics album, then click on Submit next click upload pics add your pics from the browse buttons, then click Upload Now the trick is to wait a bit, for the pics to upload on to the page.
When they have up loaded, click on each picture to give the two URL addresses to put in the "insert image" box. Hope this helps Lisa

DarenCogdon

Visit site
A couple of years ago, a friend and I were out trying to find a farmyard in seemingly the middle of nowhere, and as we were driving down a road, I just so happened to look off to my right and saw something distinctly Clydie-like in a field!

Naturally, my interest was peaked, but we went off to find the farm instead. On the way back, however...!

263944_10150234392038149_5757370_n.jpg

268014_10150234392683149_7432232_n.jpg

271134_10150234393158149_1129591_n.jpg

262289_10150234393843149_939053_n.jpg

264999_10150234394153149_7285313_n.jpg

270079_10150234394343149_8096034_n.jpg

264914_10150234394563149_5884513_n.jpg

268784_10150234394923149_2594009_n.jpg

268574_10150234395303149_8372721_n.jpg

DarenCogdon

Visit site
And how about this...??

299018_10150279999383149_1195330_n.jpg

This is made from leather, and came all the way from TURKEY!!

(And I actually have a T-shirt with the original artwork on it, too!)

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
LisaRead - fab pics! Nice you've joined the many tormentors here, showing me the most glorious Clydies! The strangest thing is that I've always been very much a TB person, but this thread has grabbed me by the throat and set me off on a Clydie hunt. Slim pickings here in S Africa, though, with only one or two breeders that I can find.

DarenCogdon, I hereby declare you chief tempter! It's so good to see someone so madly in love with the breed - not surprising, since you seem to find the most beautiful ones. Oh and the foal! just so handsome.

A BIG thank you for all the Clydesdale fans keeping this thread so wonderful! It's really spreading the Clydie-love. I fear it is going to result in quite a few people getting out their chequebooks and buying some glorious hairy beasties!:D:D:D:D

Tayto

Visit site
I am loving this thread! It is so nice to have a positive thread instead of people and their horror stories of falling off, or buying a nightmare horse haha! Keep the lovely pics coming folks :)

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
ClaireBlyth Fergus and Friends is a brilliant pic - I can't tell if those are miniatures or shetties with the Fantastic Fergus. I think they all look brilliant together; I'm assuming they all get along fine together? I'd be scared a Clydies would step on the little ones by mistake, but obviously they don't! Do they hare around the fields together? How do they behave when they share a paddock?

DarenCogdon

Visit site
Claire, I live near Edinburgh. There are at least two Clydesdale breeders within 50mi of me - Tom Tennant in the Borders, and Ronnie Black (Collessie) in Fife. It was from Collessie that Martin Clunes got his two Clydies from a couple of years back (and I must have just missed him at the Highland Show that year!)

And I've lost count of how many Clydesdales I've ridden, never mind met, over the years! :D

ClaireBlyth

Visit site
I agree Lisa!

Ancient Hacker they are indeed shetties apart from the youngster Bruce on the right, who is Clydie X. The shetties are in their late twenties/early thirties so don't really join around, although they are escape artists & food thiefs! I think they all get on ok now, although Bruce has been put in his place a fair few times whilst learning the pecking order.

Darren I am so jealous!