Cobs vs finer breeds

PrancingPoniesxx

Visit site
Currently thinking what would I be looking for in a horse when I buy it in a few months❤️
Here is a list of things I would like
>Safe
>Can pop around a metre
>Has to be able to live out all year round
>Slightly forward going
>Nice out hacking
>Hardy
>Friendly and used to kids
And then physical things
>14.2h +
>Not bothered about colour or breed

I know it's so much to ask for in a horse and I have had to raise my original budget plan but I hope I could find one❤️
So what does everyone think Cobs vs other breeds
Comment any other breeds down below and tell me the pros and cons of owning a cob

ShadowHunter

Visit site
You can get some cobs that are nutters. Agree with above; you cant generalise an entire breed. My cob meets your list above but she's also got the potential to be a pig at times.
You're just going to have a look and see what meets your requirements.

{97702}

Visit site
I love my sect d but would never buy another one! Think traditional cobs are a better bet.

I adored my section D and should never have sold him - I would have another like a shot, a cob with a TB attitude :D

14469485_10154842150784587_4996845977630357483_n.jpg

This is my current boy - absolutely ideal for what you want - a kind of lightweight cob type I suppose, but no particular breed, I was very VERY lucky to find him

PorkChop

Visit site
Impossible tp generalise as you can find superstars in every breed :)

I would focus on temperament and experience - something with a "can do" attitude is so much more important than ability most of the time.

Exciting times for you - good luck :)

Theocat

Visit site
You have a very sensible "shopping list" - ignore the breed and look at something that ticks all those boxes! :)

magicsmum

Visit site
Up until three weeks ago, my daughter has always had the finer types, an Anglo Arab show pony and then a TB, she knew she didn't want another TB, ad we would never find another like her, unfortunately at nine years she was diagnosed with navicular, so has now gone out on loan. We still have the show pony who is now nearly 22, and again is a one off!
Laura jokingly said when looking for a new partner that maybe she should go for a hogged cob this time! It's just what we have ended up with, a welsh section D x hackney, he's an amazing little horse, only 15hh but that doesn't matter, will easily jump a metre course! Usually takes Laura a good six months to bond with a new horse but these pair have had one from the start! They have been out couple of times and won two classes and placed in rest! Hes been dressage training, her teacher absolutely loves him, took him cross country, first time he had ever done it, was great, think we have a little eventer on our hands! Doesn't seem there's anything he can't do! Before we had the show pony I kept looking for a cob!

Last edited:

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm not a cob fan; in my experience they are more likely to be a pushy yob than a steady neddy. I like a native or native x TB for a bit more sportiness and less attitude.

OP - think about a Highland, they seem able to turn their hoof to most jobs and seem tick all your boxes.

Shay

Visit site
Cobs are like anything else - if they are handled well they behave. If they are handled badly the don't! You do get pushy yobbish cobs. And pushy yobbish any breed really. Its its bad mannered it is bad manners. Cob or not.

OP the only possible limitation (if you can call it that) is that you wants something that can live out year round. So you would probably be better with the native / native cross types than with anything TB / Arab etc. Horses are not really like dogs or cats -you can't over generalise behaviour types to certain breeds. And there are far more cross breeds than pure breeds. Just find a horse that ticks the boxes and go for it.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
TB's and arabs certainly can live out (mine do and the late TB was never rugged until she was old), the key IME is giving them enough forage, shelter (natural or manmade) and rugs if required.

OP, really you will be limited by what's for sale at the time that you are looking. Try as many different horses as you can to try to get a feel for what suits you. Good luck.

Bojingles

Visit site
I think to a certain extent you can generalise about breeds being suitable for certain uses. From what you've described OP, I think a quality cob would be perfect. My little black cob can do everything: she drives, she's a lovely hack, bombproof in traffic, she's competed dressage to elementary, WH, shown with great success and will pop a track and xc course. All while being entirely unfazed by pretty much anything except a lack of food ;). That's her one downside - the ongoing battle to keep her weight on the right side of portly :) Good luck with your search and take your time - they're out there!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Lévrier;13379264 said:
I adored my section D and should never have sold him - I would have another like a shot, a cob with a TB attitude :D

They definitely have attitude! Lol. Mine is just such a wimp, bless him. Lovely nature though and such an affectionate horse. Very different to my TBxWelsh mare.

Micky

Visit site
Def go for temperament over breed..I spent ages looking for an Irish draft X TB..ended up with a 15.1 cob X...what he's crossed with? Trotter or ID we think..abs star, tries does anything..don't dismiss crosses! He's lived out happily for years, took to stable yard life happily, small or big yards...he's 19 now and still jumping hacking etc... Good luck

Shantara

Visit site
How about a Standardbred? I have found Ned to be just as hardy as any of the cobs at the yard, he's done 85cm with ease and could go higher, it's me that won't. He's forward, but will chill too, he's friendly and cuddly! He has a good number of issues, but that's due to a very poor start in life, so it's not a "Standy-thing".
The only problem really is they sometimes pace, but with training it's no issue.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
As others have said there are many horses that would suit and you just need to try them. I don't think I will ever own a cob, but I have arthritis in my back and the width of a cob is not comfy for me.
My last Belgian WB would fit your description, though with more talent than you require so the price would be higher, but she was the safest horse I ever rode and a pleasure to handle. She was safe from the day I backed her and is now taking a 60+ lady out hacking every week.

Enfys

Visit site
I would say go for the horse that ticks your boxes, unless you are after a specific breed, which you don't seem to be.

Cob fans do not take offense this is merely a personal opinion ;)
I wouldn't have a cob if I was paid to ... because they are generally wide - which I am not, and are usually taller than me - not difficult :D
I am not keen on tobianos either - just an aesthetic thing.
They also, God love them, trot, I don't do trotting horses these days, or rather, my knees and hips don't.

I like my horses small, fine boned, short backed, with a head infront of me not a mile of neck and preferably a 10 on the scale (as in 0 = dead, 5 = average, 10 = how fast Mum?)

rachk89

Visit site
For living out it depends on where you live too. I imagine my warmblood could live out all year down south as you get no snow there but in the north of Scotland he can't handle it. He struggled badly in the middle of the Highlands on top of a mountain too. So he needs a stable in fact most of them do really. Only the really hardy types can handle it.

Down south? Barely any snow temperatures aren't as bad so unless something is particularly wimpy I would expect it to manage outside fine. A Highland would probably find the weather warm haha. So that just depends on location.

To fit everything else don't discount any breed. You may find what you need in a thoroughbred you might find it in a sec d. Go with whatever you find.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm another who would focus on temperament and ability to do the job rather than a particular breed. However you do need to feel comfortable on it. I am not that tall and quite small hipped so finer horses tend to suit me better also I'm not a fan of feathers so I probably wouldn't go for a trad cob. I have had a lightweight cob though, he was a real live wire but did have a bit of attitude. TBH I don't think the breed is that important, it's what you feel happy with and don't discount any breed. I get so cross when people diss TBs, my first horse was a TB mare and she was just lovely, the perfect first horse! And yes, she lived out 24/7 all year round!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I wouldn't be set on a specific 'type'. I have a TB who ticks all of your boxes - but a lot of people will say specifically 'no TB's' thinking they're all neurotic and can't live out all year round! I would just keep to your list and go and see everything that fits the bill.

GirlFriday

Visit site
As above, you have a very sensible list.

But I'd go for a high % Crabbet Arab or x given the choice. They had a hard time historically and so are pretty hardy and are also less likely to need restricting /muzzling etc than a cob living out.

On the marmite side they are smart enough to see danger lots of places and so as well as being forward going they can also be sideways going at short notice! I like a horse with brains (and a hound without too many!) but that is a personal thing.

They can jump (I loose school over jumps higher than I want to be on board for) and are really great fun hacks.

DD

Visit site
my cob is wonderful, does everything I ask of him and hes well mannered. Cobs do come with some variety , some are heavier than others, some tall some short. I love them.

JJS

Visit site
As much as I think that it's good advice to say 'judge based on the horse, not on the breed', you also have to remember that stereotypes exist for a reason; not all horses will fit theirs, but many will. I say this as someone who has had a wide variety of types.

A was a Thoroughbred, and my first love. She fit all of the good traits that TBs are supposed to have, but even the less desirable ones were there to an extent. She was beautiful, but breakable: she always had small scrapes on her, her soles were terribly prone to bruising, and I lost her when she broke her leg in the field. She was brave, but reactive: she could spook at something, spin, and then have herself turned back around and over it before you could even register what had worried her. She held her weight reasonably well, but she did need more rugging and hard feed through the winter than any of my others have.

The Welsh B, S, also fits many of his breed stereotypes. He's brave, bold, fun, and lovely, but he's a show horse in a pony body, and he expects to be ridden properly. Children who bounce around or pull at his mouth are not tolerated; he will only be as mannerly as they are.

The rest fit theirs equally well: the Warmblood was an affectionate sop but not the brightest spark, my Connie x TB is an oversized puppy dog who's as mad as a March hare and as brave as a lion, with feet like steel and the biggest heart in the world, and my Gypsy Cob is sweet, sane, and as tough as old boots.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, and if you're looking for a horse that really does need to be hardy, I think that finding the right type is a good place to start.

SO1

Visit site
I think it will somewhat depend on why you need the horse to live out and what sort of grazing/facilities you have and what your budget is.

A native or cob type normally winter out well but if you have good grazing spring/summer/autumn can be an issue as if they are a good doer then you may find they need restricted grazing to keep their weight under control if you have decent grass.

Finer breeds may be easier to manage in the months were the grass is good, but harder in the winter when they will probably need extra feeding and ad lib hay unless you have really plentiful grass. They may also need access to good shelter as well as warm rugs. If they have fine hair on their legs they may also be more prone to mud fever in the winter if your fields are muddy or wet.

An over height Connemara might suitable. They tend to be good jumpers, fairly sensible and hardy enough to live out. However they can be quite expensive to buy.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
my cob is wonderful, does everything I ask of him and hes well mannered. Cobs do come with some variety , some are heavier than others, some tall some short. I love them.

Same here. Mine is a sporty cob and jumps a metre plus. She's 100% in all traffic, great fun with utterly no bad habits. It's just a question of correct training same as any horse. She is a lovely kind mare and I'm so glad I have her.

PrancingPoniesxx

Visit site
I'm based in Ireland
Thanks everyone for their advice💛
I currently ride a lightweight cob and he's fab but can be a bit lazy if he dosnt have a confident rider on board❤️It does seem hard to find the breeds I like over here🙄I actually liked at bringing one over from England and depending on the price of the horse I might look into it💜

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If you want something that can live out, don't automatically assume that all cobs or natives can. They may hold their weight well enough but may not be happy or healthy.

Some "lazy" cobs/ponies just aren't getting enough food, because you virtually have to starve these types for them to look thin and ribby. Lack of sleep makes a horse dull and lethargic too. They might not be wanting to lie down on cold muddy ground.

Don't buy anything that's ever had mud fever either, cobs and natives aren't immune to this, or anything that has bad skin in general. Skin complaints are so much easier to manage in a part-stabled horse and, depending on severity, can be impossible to keep under control in a field-kept horse.

What are your thoughts on clipping? I've met quite a few people who complain when their finer bred, full clipped horse in a cheap rug and over grazed field loses too much weight living out 24/7, because they've seen the owners of fat-in-summer-and-can-afford-to-lose-a-few-kilos cobs/natives get away with it. Their usual wail is "but I'm doing all I can!" as they stuff it full of hard feed once a day before putting it back in the over grazed field for another 23hrs, and I think to myself well you *could* provide it with adequate shelter, warmth and forage... Then there are those who don't want to clip, but who appear to be allergic to brushing mud off, so rug their hairy cob/native up to the ears and complain when it destroys rugs because its too warm and itchy and comes out of winter fatter than it went into it.

I think if you want a horse living out its especially important to have the right one to fit in with your life and circumstances.

Theocat

Visit site
I'm based in Ireland
Thanks everyone for their advice��
I currently ride a lightweight cob and he's fab but can be a bit lazy if he dosnt have a confident rider on board❤️It does seem hard to find the breeds I like over here��I actually liked at bringing one over from England and depending on the price of the horse I might look into it��

Horses are cheaper in Ireland, and you'd also have to pay transport costs. Work out how much more it would cost buying something in England (including the costs of traveling over for a viewing!) and then add that amount on to your budget instead. That will give you lots more options and make horse hunting much easier :)