Cockapoo or sproodle?

Me_and_Horses

Visit site
So my family are thinking about getting a dog and we don't know whether to get a cockapoo or a sproodle. We are looking for a low shedding dog (I know that both breeds can shed, but is it possible to tell when they are a puppy if they will shed or not?). It will be our first dog as a family, but both my parents had dogs growing up (a border collie, a border terrier, and a samoyd) so have had a bit of experience with dogs. I walk some dogs in my neighbourhood so I have also had some experience with dogs (from barely trained puppies to perfectly behaved older dogs), although I am definitely far from an expert. We live in a fairly big house with a big garden in the countryside, and can give the dog 2-3 walks and lots of playing sessions a day. We will be away for 6 hours maximum a day but we will get a dog walker so the dog isn't alone for all that time. We can dedicate a moderate amount of time to training since we enjoy training them, but don't have crazy amounts of time to fit it all in. The main reason we want a dog is for a companion and to keep us active, but it would also be nice to have a dog who is happy to sit and be petted. Sorry for the long explanation, but I hope that now you have enough information to recommend which breed we should get. It would also be helpful if there are any other breeds you would recommend. Thank you!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't have either tbh! There are a couple of Cockerpoos locally and they are both peculiar dogs. One seems to be nervous wreck with no confidence around other dogs, despite having been taken out and about as a pup and having a regular canine visitor. The other is just badly trained , so difficult to know what is temperament and what is the owner's lack of effort. Why do you particularly want a x-breed?
My aunt and uncle had a series of poodles, after breeding Scotties for years, the poodles were all very intelligent, trainable and didn't shed much. If I were looking for a small, non-shedding dog, I would go for a poodle.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why get a poodle cross, if you want no shedding, get a poodle, they come in all sizes, are bright and intelligent and dont shed. these crosses are advertised as non shedding but it is a chance you will take. also the poodle crosses are very expensive, more than a pure bred on the whole.. or what about a schnauzer, can be small or large and nice dogs generally...if you are going to get a puppy someone should be around a lot of the time to get housetraining sorted and to get them used to being left for a short amount of time and gradually increase. its not fair for a puppy to be left for 6 hours with just a visit from a dog walker IMO

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
on reading the other posts i had forgotten the behaviour of most of the poodle crosses in my area. they need lots of exercise and can be quite nervy, there are only a couple in my area which are allowed off lead, the rest are dog aggressive or scared or they wont let them off as they wouldnt come back.....wouldnt be my choice..

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Every cockerpoo or sproodle I have known has been extremely excitable and in need of a huge amount of exercise. I am not sure they are the best choice for a first dog.
Agree with this!
I have a cockapoo. I find it completely mad that they are marketed as a first time family dog. Don’t get me wrong, ours is a perfect family dog, but not for every family. She has a 5km walk every day during the week, sometimes more and then at least 10km a day at the weekend. All off lead. Along with lots of mental stimulation and training.

Ours doesn’t really shed and is very intelligent. She’s not that needy but we’ve made an effort to make her happy in her own company. She’s also good with dogs and has good recall. None of this is by accident but with lots of training!

also with any poodle cross for the love of god do not pay more for a particular colour. My pup started out as black with red and white. All the black has now gone bar her ears. Most poodles have a fading gene which gets passed down. Also be aware of puppy farms.

she is the most loving little thing and is perfect for us. But I can’t imagine trying to wear her out along with small children!
D37132B8-4A8B-4DCF-97F6-C9EFCA6182F2.jpeg

oldie48

Visit site
I've met several cockerpoos and spoodles that were quite sensible and good with other dogs, perhaps I've been lucky, however, I'd also go for a poodle as long as you avoid those that are rather nervous and sensitive as some lines are. However, my neighbour and my niece both have Cavapoos and although I am not a fan of KC Cavaliers I have totally fallen for both of these bitches. Both families are new to dog ownership, have young children and fairly busy lives, the cavapoos seem to fit in beautifully and both get on with other dogs and are just great with the children. I must like them as I've offered to have my neighbours bitch if they are away!

{97702}

Visit site
Very sorry but I wouldn’t touch a cavapoo with a barge pole - people who produce cross breeds like those for the mass market are very unlikely to use cavaliers that have been properly health tested, and the likelihood of genetic diseases being passed on is far higher than it would be for a responsibly bred cavalier from health tested parents

sorry to be the voice of negativity

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Very sorry but I wouldn’t touch a cavapoo with a barge pole - people who produce cross breeds like those for the mass market are very unlikely to use cavaliers that have been properly health tested, and the likelihood of genetic diseases being passed on is far higher than it would be for a responsibly bred cavalier from health tested parents

Very valid points which I think most first time family dog owners fall victim to! I think research is the answer. Research into the breed and common issues and research into breeders. We made sure to ask lots of questions about the parents and any health checks they had.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've met a lot of very very sweet and trainable cockerpoos/oodles/etc but none of them have been particularly calm or low maintenance... poodles and spaniels are active working breeds that needs input... a cross will not miraculously be an easy going family dog. I think toy breeds get hugely overlooked in favour of the poodle crosses and it's a shame because the very purpose of the toy breeds is to be exactly that ideal companion dog that everyone with a busy life is after!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Also with mixes there is no knowing what size you will end up with! Ours is show cocker and toy poodle. She’s 13kg and the size of a cocker. One of her litter mates is about the size of our Mabel’s head ?

also forgot to mention earlier that keeping on top of brushing is a full time job in itself. They will need clipping every 12 weeks at the very longest and ours gets a brush out during winter every 6 when we keep her longer. She then gets a comb through every day. But if the OP has had Samoyeds I’m sure they’re used to that! I spent my childhood brushing my grandmothers samoyeds.

cockapoo worked for us because I love cockers but my OH is quite anal about mess and moulting so the bit of poodle thrown in seemed like a good idea. I didn’t tell him the no moulting wasn’t 100% ? so we got the best of both worlds. For us it’s just a bonus that she is the cutest dog in the world.

oldie48

Visit site

No, I think you make a good point but I think the market for cavapoos is such that reputable breeders do breed for the market and potential buyers, even first time buyers, do their homework when they are paying really rather a lot for a pup. I know my neighbours did. My niece took on a puppy that had been put back together by the Supervet following a really horrendous accident, so didn't choose her but she is a really delightful dog, just hope that after her difficult start in life whe doesn't have too many other problems!

misst

Visit site
The cockerpoos round here are all very needy. They were all also very expensive. More than a KC or health checked poodle or cocker. Ditto springer crosses. I am another who would not touch one. They need a lot of grooming too very regularly which is another cost. There are some lovely bichons around and I think they are a bit quieter than poodles and I think they don't shed and are cuter than cockerpoos - but check that I could be wrong!. They seem friendly and good with other dogs. I love a terrier but they are a bit full on for some people.
No dog is low maintainance or trouble free. Check the parents, check the specific tests needed for the breeds. You may have to travel or wait for an appropriate dog.
Enjoy doing your research and enjoy your dog when you get one.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It bemuses me that anyone wants to buy a mongrel and pay 2k plus for it.

The dogs are not doodle poos they are mongrels and the prices eye watering. I know I sound bitter and twisted but my job is to regulate and legislate dog breeders and I spend hours dealing the fall out of the endless mongrel puppies sold to well meaning purchasers who buy them in laybys and motorway services stations.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
It bemuses me that anyone wants to buy a mongrel and pay 2k plus for it.

The dogs are not doodle poos they are mongrels and the prices eye watering. I know I sound bitter and twisted but my job is to regulate and legislate dog breeders and I spend hours dealing the fall out of the endless mongrel puppies sold to well meaning purchasers who buy them in laybys and motorway services stations.
I don’t know if this is within your job description but there is a big campaign against a cockapoo/cavapoo breeder (puppy farm). Someone has collected data from owners and in 2019 they had something like 250 litters! If it’s something you deal with could I PM you the breeders name? No worries if it’s not!

Steerpike

Visit site
Just buy a pure poodle, they don't shed, very intelligent and easy to train and in normal times are half the price of the mongrols called cockerpoos ect. Our poodle is great, slightly over size for a miniature but he was the only one in the litter, he's not really interested in other people, only the people in his "pack" brilliant recall, never goes far from us happy with long walks or a couple of shorter walks, is good to leave on his own and is good with other dogs but you do have to think of the cost of having them groomed, we get ours done every 12 weeks maximum which in our area is around £50 a go.

scats

Visit site
I’m a dog groomer so I spend 6 days a week with a variety of breeds and a lot of cockerpoos. Think I currently have about 20 on my books.
Generally, I actually really like them, I find some can be prone to needy behaviour but I find them easier (on the grooming table, at least) than the majority of cockers.
I also have 4 regular Sproodles, again, lovely dogs but can be very lively.
I’m a big fan of poodle crosses, but then again I really like poodles.

misst

Visit site
Oh Lev I'll swap. Mine sheds for england :rolleyes: - she is rough coated. I had a smoothie like Colin and she shed for england too:p my JRT x Yorkie(I think) doesn't shed at all - all very random.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh Lev I'll swap. Mine sheds for england :rolleyes: - she is rough coated. I had a smoothie like Colin and she shed for england too:p my JRT x Yorkie(I think) doesn't shed at all - all very random.

oh I always wanted a rough coated JRT, they are THE most gorgeous looking dogs!!!! I’m friends on FB with an ex-HHOer who has a rough JRT called Daisy, I will not ask or admit how old Daisy is now because she is delightful and I love her!

I have to say that George moults constantly even though he is supposedly smooth coated ? I think Colin hasn’t learned to do it yet at only 12 weeks old ?

[139672]

Visit site
A high percentage of poodle crosses still moult, that’s why I bought a toy poodle (he’s bigger than a toy actually 14inches. I thoroughly recommend poodles. Teddy is great fun, so easy to train. He was my first dog and I’d never have another breed. However, their coats take a lot of work and expensive. I trim and clip him myself and I bath him every week, blow dry him and brush him throughly, never leave them or Cockapoos to dry naturally it leaves their coat badly tangled. In the summer I clip him short every 2-3 weeks and at about £30 a time doing it myself saves me a lot of money. If you are getting a first dog do factor in the expense of puppy training and continuing that training for a while. I give Teddy a Cockapoo type trim and people often say is he a Cockapoo and I always answer no he’s a Poopoo! I’ve also had owners of Cockapoos ask me about him. When I say he’s a poodle they say oh he’s so gorgeous and I think so why didn’t you buy a poodle ?. Such a shame they are crossed with everything as they are wonderful dogs. Another thing to bear in mind is that most poodles have a fading gene so Cockapoos May be affected by this too. I’ve seen quite a few red Cockapoos end up the colour of a Teddy. Breeders sometimes charge a fortune for the popular fox red/red and they can often fade to apricot. Go Poodles!! ??

Attachments

• A959ACB8-CC48-4605-8E6F-FDBED6413E05.jpeg
    A959ACB8-CC48-4605-8E6F-FDBED6413E05.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 16

{97702}

Visit site
Just wait until he's a bit older! We found that JRT hairs are very spikey - especially when they get in your underwear:eek:

oh I can’t wait - the worst dog I ever had was my rough coated lurcher, his hairs were horrible and sneaked under your skin in a really peculiar way. And they really hurt!!!! I almost got used to it after a couple of years, but having to sit with tweezers pulling dog hairs out from where they had invaded your skin very definitely counted as ‘weird’ for me ??

{97702}

Visit site
I like JRTs but let's be honest, they are not always very nice and can be extremely yappy. I know, I've got 4 living near me and they all have issues of one sort or another!

Colin does not yap. Colin is never going to learn to yap. Over My Dead Body in fact.....

I’ve got George who nobody told not to yap for 11 years before he came to me - my chance of success? Limited!!!

My chance of success with Colin? 100 bloody percent, I’m not living with another George ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh cairn terriers are beautiful little dogs. I babysat a cairn pup for a week for someone having an emergency once. Had to take her into work. She pretty much sat on a chair in the tea room all day and chatted to anyone on their break. She was supposed to be in her crate but she charmed all my colleagues into getting her out for some cuddles. Gorgeous little critter. Very clever too. And a very calm puppy.