Coffin joint arthritis- any success stories?

pastit

New Member
Joined
5 August 2016
Messages
11
Ridden today still lsme in trot talking to the vet on Monday. Fed up!
Try not to worry, there may be another joint down there that also needs injecting. Did you have nerve block tests originally? All the joints are quite close together, so it can be a process of elimination. I found that my boy was substantially better fairly soon after the jab, so you'll know if it's worked. Fingers crossed!
 

ester

Not slacking-multitasking
Joined
31 December 2008
Messages
46,350
Location
Cambridge
Also if you're not happy with your vet's assessment (I also don't understand his comment about concussion, it's just not how it works biomechanics wise) then it might be time to get a second opinion.
 

NooNoo59

Active Member
Joined
3 December 2011
Messages
943
Location
kent
Pastit the vet seemed very certain that it was the coffin joint has today suggested medicating again and also systemic drug to support ligaments etc. If no better then not to assess further damage.
 

RichardRider

Well-Known Member
Joined
8 November 2007
Messages
12,229
Location
Haras du Pin, Normandy, France
Have just stumbled onto this thread and it could possibly be the answer for my Selle Francais of 19 here in Normandy. I'm thinking of buying another horse but if this could buy he(at 19) and me(65) a few good years, well, that would be much better than another horse that no one will ride when I stop. Could any of you give me a basic estimate of what it costs to do in England so I can better decided if it's worth it or to go on trying other horses. This would be a dream come true!

richard rider
 

RichardRider

Well-Known Member
Joined
8 November 2007
Messages
12,229
Location
Haras du Pin, Normandy, France
I suppose, to answer you ester, the treatment, injections, xrays, and whatever else it would entail. Thanks NN59 that's already giving me an idea...My instructor once told me that injections meant to deaden the nerve were horribly expensive. I wonder if he was eluding to something even more complex. If I could buy another few years with my guy(i too have arthritis and no one's putting me out to pasture,) 1000euros would not be too dear...

Will give a call or stop by my vets and see what he thinks and let you know what he says...Thanks for the input...rr
 

be positive

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 July 2011
Messages
16,912
I believe Instructor was speaking about "nerve blocking" being so expensive. This doesn't sound bad at all...Thanks everyone rr
Your instructor may have been speaking about denerving, permanently cutting the nerves to the foot, which is a different ball game completely and one that most people will not consider because the horse will have no feeling in it's foot, injecting steroids to reduce the inflammation and slow down the progression of the condition is completely different but you do need a diagnosis first and getting that can prove expensive.
 

RichardRider

Well-Known Member
Joined
8 November 2007
Messages
12,229
Location
Haras du Pin, Normandy, France
Your instructor may have been speaking about denerving, permanently cutting the nerves to the foot, which is a different ball game completely and one that most people will not consider because the horse will have no feeling in it's foot, injecting steroids to reduce the inflammation and slow down the progression of the condition is completely different but you do need a diagnosis first and getting that can prove expensive.
Yes, that's basically what he implied. Thank you all so much, as I mentioned in my Bute Inquiry I now have many options to TAKE to the vet. I've learned over the years, it's very useful here(I've been in France 35 years and my French is, well French, so no problem missing anything, due to language barrier,) knowing AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE about just about any subject before asking for advice, can save one a great deal of time and money... This goes for masonry, carpentry, electricity and plumbing(and god I wish I'd listened to my father when he tried to teach me something about mechanics and computers.) Going to have a good sit down after examination with the vet who has always cared for my guy(who is a super fellow and son's compete in the club I belong to,) and lay it all out on the table. See what he says.

Thank you all so much...cheers...richard
 
Last edited:

NooNoo59

Active Member
Joined
3 December 2011
Messages
943
Location
kent
Mri shows desmooathy to collateral ligaments on left fore and mild tear to ddft on right fore and confirms moderate coffin joint arthritis. Waiting to speak to vet
 

MelT

New Member
Joined
3 June 2004
Messages
27
Location
South Wales
NooNoo59 I have taken on a lad who had 'issues' with both front feet following a really bad cut to one of his back legs. He had x-rays and MRI showing Mild to moderate desmitis of the lateral collateral ligament of the distal interphalangeal joint left fore, Moderate degenerative joint disease of the distal interphalangeal joint bilaterally, Mild degenerative joint disease of the proximal interphalangeal joint bilaterally, Evidence of mild laminar pain left more so than right, however it should be noted that these changes are mild. He was treated in one foot first with steroid injection but he had a bad reaction to it so it was agreed with his owner at the time not to proceed with any further ones. My farrier thought I was bonkers but agreed to try and see what could be done. We had his shoes removed and turned him out in the field in May 2017 with regular foot trims to keep him balanced. He came back into work in April 2018 and my farrier now shoes him with normal shoes with side clips, set back to ease his break over and he has anti-concussion pads on both front feet. He's a big lad at 17hh and not a slightly built type either. He's only doing hacking and some schooling for intro/prelim dressage at the minute but he happily goes for a good gallop across the old pit down the road! You'd never know there was anything wrong with him the way he bounces around! I swear by Equine Answers Premier Flex Plus as a joint supplement. It's really helped Scotch. He isn't on any pain killers ie, bute/danilon but does have turmeric and micronized linseed plus this joint supplement daily. I have no idea how long Scotch will remain sound but I'm enjoying life with him as long as is possible. I do think having the period of rest with no shoes on helped him too.
 

NooNoo59

Active Member
Joined
3 December 2011
Messages
943
Location
kent
Thanks for that MelT the vet is coming tomorrow to inject osphos and start cartrophen. He also has a bone bruise which is worrying. The vet has said if he does not come sound by the new year then is prob not going to. I have decided to get another one so I have something to ride and reassess in the new year.
 

RichardRider

Well-Known Member
Joined
8 November 2007
Messages
12,229
Location
Haras du Pin, Normandy, France
Sorry to get back so late...Vet coming today for xrays. Yes, I've been putting it off because my horse Incarna was FANTASTIC for a few weeks, even did a rather(normal at one time, and for all other horses,) super hack out, galloping and cantering like he was a young horse, than I noticed him slightly lame. Vet gave me more products to give orally, saying the trial period was no longer than 10 days(a substitute for Bute, which I feel French Vets don't like that much.) Had to sprinkle sugar on it and really mix it into his morning meal for him to stop kicking over the bucket and totally ignoring the stuff...Anyway, I'm late back when I have results...Thanks all rr
 

NooNoo59

Active Member
Joined
3 December 2011
Messages
943
Location
kent
Ok pony has been assessed by vet on full lameness work up and he is still lame. Vet has advised not putting him thru another summer due to sweet itch and weight increase which will only make his level of discomfort worse. So I have to find the right time to do this such a hard thing to do!
 

ycbm

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 January 2015
Messages
18,237
If you decide to put the pony down on vet's advice, fine, there is no problem with that.

With the diagnosis you had, it was unlikely that he would come sound unless you took the shoes off, and there is still time to try that approach. You will get a lot of support from the forum if you decide to do this.

This site gives the progress of many horses which had the same MRI diagnosis as yours, including the vet recommendation to PTS. I have rehabbed one myself where the PTS appointment was made and the owner cancelled to bring him to me instead.


Rockleyfarm.blogspot.com
 

NooNoo59

Active Member
Joined
3 December 2011
Messages
943
Location
kent
So am I he is a cracking cob but I think.there is too much going on in the front joints/feet for him to come right. Vets bills up to over 4000 so far I think we have reached the end of the road
 
Joined
21 March 2014
Messages
71
So am I he is a cracking cob but I think.there is too much going on in the front joints/feet for him to come right. Vets bills up to over 4000 so far I think we have reached the end of the road
Have you tried athramid? Worth a shot if your horse hasn’t responded to steroids. You have my deepest sympathies. It is such a lonely place to be 😥.
 
Top