NN59, concentrate on the pain your horse will be in trying to stand on feet that ache all the time, and know that you are doing the only kind thing possible. Call now, right now, and if they are still on answerphone, call again until they aren't.
Not a success story i'm afraid my boy was diagnosed in January as was lame in trot, had the injection and is now intermittently lame in walk which he never was before im so disappointed next step is mri
I made the decision to mri as my gut was telling me that the arthritis was not the only problem. Interestingly now he is lamer on the off side rather than the near side. The end story is that he is lame and its the end of the road which I need to get my head round asap.
It took me a bit to get my head around putting our mare to sleep because she wasn't obviously lame. She had it in all 4 feet though and so although I couldn't see it I knew it was there. It showed up after she had had a good hoon around the paddock and some days were worse than others. It was a really hard decision but ultimately the right one.
I miss her everyday but I know it was the right thing to do by her. You have my sympathy. People who judge you for making this decision are not kind.
You are right he looks fine most of the time but it's there and it isn't going away. I was given this horse so I have let the previous owner know as I think that's only fair to give her the chance to say goodbye. As soon as I hear back from her the phone call will be made.