Cold hands & painful fingers

tubby1

Visit site
Sorry bit of a wimpy question , but I'm really struggling with the cold in my fingers. I wear gloves all the time. Can anyone recommend a really good hand cream my hands are covered in hacks and skin is constantly sore.

Redders

Visit site
I really like e45 cream, really helped when I got dermatitis from latex gloves for work. Slap it on before bed and wear cotton gloves. To keep my hands warm I wear sealskinz gloves as they are water and wind proof, but I used to and still do when I forget my sealskinz wear a pair of cheap warm pimple stretch wool gloves under a pair of marigolds-always toasty warm around the yard.

MochaDun

Visit site
Body Shop used to do a really good hand rescue cream with almond oil but not sure if they still do it but it was excellent. I've heard their hemp oil one is as good but not tried it. I'm currently on Dr Organic Manuka Honey hand cream which is OK though nothing at all seems to prevent me getting splits in the ends of my fingers :( Like the person above best put on loads at night and wear the cotton gloves overnight - think Body Shop sell those too (I've also used their foot ones too!).

friesian76

Visit site
I suffer with cold fingers and bought a pair of woof wear power stretch gloves. They are keeping my hands warm but can still do rugs, head collars etc whilst wearing them. They wash well too. As for hand cream I've found that Astral from Superdrug works really well for me poss better than the Norwegian formula hand creams.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Only thing that works for me is eucerin. Get cracks all over my fingers and knuckles and dry itchy red skin, tried a million and one things including the body shop hemp stuff (made the non yuck bits of my hands soft but did nothing for the yuck bits) and eucerin is the only thing that works for me. Slightly more expensive but need very little of it and it does the job

Bramblebear

Visit site
The only creams that work on my abused hands are e45 and the l'occitane hand creams, particularly the Shea butter based ones. The l'occitane ones are expensive but well worth it. A little bit goes a really long way.

Coconut oil (comes semi-solid) is also great but I personally think it softens the skin a bit much. Good for when they really need rescuing.

muckypony

Visit site
Try using bepanthen, yes, the nappy rash cream!! I used it on my tattoos and noticed his soft my fingers were afterwards. Have since used it on dry hands and its brilliant!

Tern

Visit site
Rather than wearing one or two pairs of gloves get like 2 pairs of medium thickness wool gloves and some old riding gloves, put your wooly gloves on then riding gloves.. (if you need waterproof then WW waterproof ones are good!) Layering hands works like layering rugs!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Apply lots of Vaseline on your hands put them in a plastic bag and rub in put hands under the duvet for as long as you have it works a treat , you can use hand cream ,olive oil , coconut oil is my current favourite
It is a great thing for your feet bag on lots of cream or oil bags on then socks go to bed.
When working apply lots of hand cream then a pair of surgical gloves then your warm gloves .
I do love waterproof gloves when the weathers really tough .

Suechoccy

Visit site
Keep your wrists warm and that will help stop your body cutting off blood to the extremities.

A friend bought me a pair of Storm Cuffs for christmas - thin neoprene tubes that go over wrist, lowr arm and hand, with stretchy lycra-y fingerless mitten ends to them.

Then wear normal gloves over top of them.

Tnavas

Visit site
I really like e45 cream, really helped when I got dermatitis from latex gloves for work. Slap it on before bed and wear cotton gloves. To keep my hands warm I wear sealskinz gloves as they are water and wind proof, but I used to and still do when I forget my sealskinz wear a pair of cheap warm pimple stretch wool gloves under a pair of marigolds-always toasty warm around the yard.

I've read somewhere that this is not good to use long term - can't remember why though.

Regular use of Vaseline Intensive Care - Nails. Pink tube. I used to treat any cracks with Chapstick at night. Rub it on thick in the split and stick a sticky plaster over it.

Keeping your wrists warm helps to keep hands warm. I used to have a pair of rabbit fur wrist bands, I hated wearing gloves. The area on the inside of your wrist has blood vessels close to the surface. If you keep them warm the blood to your fingers stays warm

windand rain

Visit site
I cannot wear gloves but have found that cocobutter is the best for my hands but mu hands do not tend to get cold often the opposite problem they dry out and crack but I get the hot aches in them. My gloves, Sealskinz, are usually in my pocket but I do put them on to handle frozen handles on barrows and pickers and take them off again once the handles have warmed up. Must have a cold heart as my hands are almost always roasting hot hence not wearing gloves much, they make my hands feel like they are crawling with bugs

southerncomfort

Visit site
I can't say I've found anything that is effective enough for dry, cracked skin. However, last year I bought some thermal, waterproof cycling gloves from Lidl for £4.99 and they do at least keep my hands warm and stop them becoming painful.

Sealine

Visit site
Keep your wrists warm and that will help stop your body cutting off blood to the extremities.

A friend bought me a pair of Storm Cuffs for christmas - thin neoprene tubes that go over wrist, lowr arm and hand, with stretchy lycra-y fingerless mitten ends to them.

Then wear normal gloves over top of them.

They sound interesting but I can't find them anywhere. Can you provide a link or tell me where I can get them please?

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Eucerin Aquaphor....brilliant stuff!!

This. It works because it has a high urea content - many of others mentioned dont work on really dry cracked skin, they just make them feel better for a short period. Another is Flexitol, which has a v. high urea content too. You can get them both on Amazon, not too expensive and a little goes a long way. Flexitol was recommened to me (and I have v dry skin, and used to suffer every year from painful cracks and splits, regardless of what I tried) by a consultant dermatologist. Apprently it is used for Diabetics who have bad circulation in the extremities. The results I had were very quick. I use it just before bed on hands and feet and that seems to work for the whole day.

As for gloves, agree with another poster that really good cycling gloves/motor cycle gove and sailing gloves are excellent as they are waterproof, warm but also allow a good amount of dexterity.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Interesting. Isn't it urea also good for jellyfish stings? The wonders of modern science and it comes back to bodily fluids! ;)

I have to wear two pairs of gloves some days and use Nivea Q10 hand cream.

LittleGinger

Visit site
This is a well timed thread... My hands are so painful at the moment. My mum bought me some Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for Christmas, so I've just applied some of that (once the ton of Savlon had soaked in!) and am crossing my fingers it works. I think part of the issue is that I get so cold at the yard, I come home and immediately get straight into a hot shower...

Welly

Visit site
Hi, i find that mittens work better than gloves and you can with practice do most things, and lots of those cheap pimple gloves. As for cream, grabtree and Evelyn gardeners hand therapy.

Hanson

Visit site
Agree with Nosey, Snowfire is fab especially if you get chilblains. Also Melrose works well on those painful splits on your finger tips. Both come in handy pocket size tubes. Difficult to get hold of though- you need to find a good chemist.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My dog trainer gave me O'Keeffe's a Working Hands Hand cream (also contains urea!) and says it will cure the deep crack in my finger. It's unperfumed.

Tnavas

Visit site
Agree with Nosey, Snowfire is fab especially if you get chilblains. Also Melrose works well on those painful splits on your finger tips. Both come in handy pocket size tubes. Difficult to get hold of though- you need to find a good chemist.

To reduce Chilblains - wear thick tights under jodhs or trousers, two pairs of socks on your feet - or wear insulated boots. Ordinary wellington boots, though lined are not the same as those that have some thermal lining.

I made a pair of thermal socks from material that had a layer of foam in the middle. Bit of a mission working out the seam placement - the prototype was a bit rough but the next pair were good.

flirtygerty

Visit site

Exactly this, the cream overnight sinks in deep, but if I have cuts I sometimes put germolene on before the E45, the marigolds also give you a good grip on reins/leadropes and are great when they shed