Coldbacked help

soph15

Visit site
Years ago, long before KS and ulcers, I bought a 4 yr old at a sale as a project. I was told he was broken and riding. When I lunged him with a saddle on, he would buck himself onto the ground. Never seen anything like it, likewise when led from another horse. I discovered he was very swollen in his pectoral muscles, and I think it was this that triggered the bucking. I took a long time as he was so worried about the mounting, and it took me 3 months to get on him. It didn't help that he was very tall and I needed a step ladder. He ended up a lovely horse and only bucked me off once when a lead rope went up under his tail. He had obviously been broken roughly with a very tight girth, but was such a kind boy like yours. Keep on doing what you are doing. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time and patience.

Thank you! It’s nice to hear a positive outcome. I think he’s been rushed into being broken and possibly not been under saddle as long as the dealers think/say, but I’ll keep persevering and hopefully with patience and taking him back to basics he will get less anxious?

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A friend bought a spotted Irish mare at Melton Mowbray sales. Sold as a riding horse and I think having hunted. You could only mount her from a leg up and on the move. We guessed she had been very roughly broken while still in Ireland. She was used a brood mare and not ridden again so no idea how she eventually turned out.