Colic as we speak

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Should prob post this in vets but hope more will see this - HELP. Horse on yard started to colic at 4pm. Vets arrived at 6.15pm. IV Buscopan, then torbogesic (sp), then sedative begining with R. Tried to rectal but horse kicking. Managed to get small amount of dung. Think twisted (telescopic) gut. Vet recommends Bristol tonight at cost approx £5k. Owner says out of question. Vets now given Fynadine which will last between 1 and 12 hrs. Owner says if he lasts the night and I sit with him - I can have him!!! Hes a beautiful boy who deserves more. Can anyone give me any words of encouragement/hope. I have to go check again at 10pm.

Bossanova

Visit site
Oh god got everything crossed for you. Poor boy- hope he pulls through
frown.gif

If it is twisted, surgery is essential- is he insured? Hopefully it isnt twisted, only time will tell though

Molineux

Visit site
O bless you - I hope he pulls thro
frown.gif

Poor horse Colic is horrible but with the gut as well poor pony.

I hope he gets thro the night - fingers crossed for you.xxx

Keep us posted

Billie

community.webshots.com
Not much you can do but sit tight. What a horrible owner though, if he gets through this you can have him? Doesn't she want him? I'm assuming he isn't insuranced otherwise he'd be on the next lorry to Bristol wouldn't he?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Omg Boss, im sobbing my heart out here. Shouldnt be a YO, have too much emotion for the horses. No he isnt insured. Hes 20 and just been diagnosed with navicular, low ring bone and a hole in o/s rear tendon. Me and vets were trying to get horse up to tube water up nose, owner was giving her 9 year old son gg rides on her other pony in next stable! I havnt got £5k - dont know what to do other than flap. x

Billie

community.webshots.com
You're making me angry, the owner was doing WHAT?????? Poor horse, she doesn't deserve him! I really hope you see him through this so you can give him a better life, she sounds like the sort that will dump them as soon as they are not fit for the purpose they were intended for! GRRRR

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
thats apalling, however, it would have been kinder for the owner (bearing his existing problems in mind) to just have him put down if she really isnt that fussed.

Sounds like she just wants to offload her problems onto someone else!!

Good on you for staying with him. Think I could never be a YO, I'd deck too many people!!

Bossanova

Visit site
Aww I feel for you, really do.
He's a good age, if he deteriorates in the next couple of hours, maybe call it a day.
Poor thing, doesnt sound like he deserves this at all, what a heartless cow for being so insensitive

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
You're making me angry, the owner was doing WHAT?????? Poor horse, she doesn't deserve him! I really hope you see him through this so you can give him a better life, she sounds like the sort that will dump them as soon as they are not fit for the purpose they were intended for! GRRRR

[/ QUOTE ]

Echo that - bloody woman should not be allowed anywhere near horses - am really angry!

Keeping everything crossed for you and the horse - sending hugest hugs to you both
xx

Pidge

Visit site
no advice I'm afraid, but you must have a heart of gold unlike the callous owner - how could she!!!!! words fail me when people act like this.............................

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Best bit of colic advice i've ever heard...

PUT THE HORSE IN THE LORRY AND DRIVE IT ROUND THE BUMPIEST FIELD YOU CAN FIND, GIVING THE HORSE A FAIRLY ROCKY RIDE.

Ok, op. and the rest of it are best options.. but seeing as that has already been ruled out, PLEASE try this!!!

We very nearly lost Squeaky to colic last March.. we were told to take him straight to the vets for an op... and to hurry/give him a rough ride on the way there.. buy the time he got to the vets.. things had pretty much sorted themselfs out!!!!!
He stayed in a few nights, BUT THEY DIDN'T NEED TO OP.

RobinHood

Visit site
definitely echo what MissDeMeena has said. A very high proportion of horses that are referred to equine hospitals for colic are practically normal on arrival.

Fingers crossed for you xx

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
also forgot to mention coffee, but must be caffeinated.....dependant on how this horse goes, if still with you in the morning, do a small bran mash and put couple of teaspoons of coffee in it...it does move things along

Most people on our yard feed a teaspoon of coffee in evening feeds throughout the yard, we dont get colics anymore...its an american vet that gave someone the advice and it seems to work....

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thanks MissD. Just got back in. He looks brighter in himself but not had a poo yet. His owner had arranged for her father to stay the night in next stable. He says he is only doing as he is told. Anyway, Monty has just had 1/2 packet polos from me - I know this prob wrong thing to do, but if he has twisted gut, will it make any difference? I am so touched by you all. I truly feel part of the forum now and not a newby. Going back out at 11pm. xxx

Taboo1968

Visit site
Awwww poor you for having to go through this!!! I hope he pulls through! And if he does the first thing you want to do in the morning is kick her off your yard! B***** woman, giving kid rides on pony whilst her other one is suffering!

Got everything crossed for you....

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thank you hun. Would try the lorry but we have gale force winds in Swansea and it is chucking it down. Have never heard of coffee in all my years, but will try tomorrow if little man is still with us.
This woman has 3 horses with me. All lame. Monty has terrific rain scald from summer. Not brushed since and untreated. She is DIY and I havnt seen him without a rug in last 3 months. Just now treated his cuts from colic and his rain scald. Omg, only do liveries to keep my babies in shoes, feed and low level dressage. What am I doing!

SummerStorm

Visit site
*crosses fingers*

I really, really, really hope the little guy pulls through. He's so lucky to have someone like you to take care of him, especially since the owner is b****y horrible...

Taboo1968

Visit site
She's the one that should be PTS!!! How awful, how could anyone just walk away and leave someone else to deal with one of their horses and then discard it so easily by saying if it makes it, you can have it!!! Well I hope she sleeps well tonight!! Evil woman!

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry to hear this... I don't have much advice that would help other than make sure his bed is as thick as possible and his bankings are high, but I am sure all this is already done.

What a callous woman. I cannot believe there are people out there like that.

I hope he realises there is someone who loves him as much as you obviously do, even though he is not your horse. He is lucky to have you around.

Rebecca x

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I really feel for you, what an awful position to be in. I hope he pulls through for you
frown.gif

Personally if he was mine and it turns out to be a twisted gut I would not put him through colic surgery at that age, its highly invasive and risky and often repeat surgeries are needed.
Fingers crossed.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Coffee, give him some coffee in tiny feed!! he will poo!!! sorry if it sounds silly but number of times my boy (before adding this to every evening feed!) was compacted, coffee works, dunno how but caffeiene seems to push things along.

OK it depends on the type of colic and whether he has a twist or not but it will move things i promise!

S_N

Visit site
I TOTALLY 2nd what MDM has suggested about getting the poor horse on a lorry or in a trailer ASAP - gales or not!!! This has saved more horses from potential colic surgery thatn I would care to count!!

The poor, poor mite though!! Hugs to you and the poor Monty! Can't believe that her Father is just "doing as he's told"
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

This whole thing is horrid - woman needs a SLAP!!