Colic as we speak

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thank you all so much. Dont know what to say, you are all so kind. Have told vets that if he has quality of life on one bute per day, I will take him on and retire him. Have been sitting with him on (now) mega deep bed. Has the saddest eyes ive ever seen. I think at some stage he has been treated like a king. Lady bought him from local (meat) sales in summer for £1200. When he arrived I fell in love with him. He is a quality horse, TBx with such a gentle manner. Going to check him again now. brb x

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Going to echo what MDM said about getting him in a box. It sounds quite silly but Ive also seen this sort horses out quite quickly. (Also remember being told by a vet that the best thing for colic when they were on the operating table was to turn them upside down and try and wiggle things about)

Ive never heard of the thing with coffee but thats quite interesting. At this point its probably worth trying anything.

I'll keep everything crossed for you and the poor boy but honestly, if you can, get him in a box and go shake him around a bit. (Remember when babies have colic - which is obviously no where as serious - the first thing people do is bounce them slightly and rub their backs)

bellgave

Visit site
What a heartless woman the poor old horses owner is. Hope he is OK. Fancy putting here Dad in a stable for the night too, that shows what sort of a person she is!! Hope he is still looking better after your next check. Colic surgery is always risky, but at his age I think the rate of survival would be much slimmer. Poor old boy, sounds as though hes really in the wars

Llwyncwn

Visit site
HE'S EATING HAY!!! Just given him a cuddle and he's nibbling on hay. Rang owner and vet. Owner was in bed. Vets over the moon but it could be the fynadine. Vets said no to lorry as he has history of going down in box. They never heard of coffee, but said ok. He has not had hard feed since he came here in spring, so im going to give him (help) small feed of s/beet, country cubes and veg oil really mushy. Vets say ok. What do you think?

Taboo1968

Visit site
Eating is a good sign, lets hope the other end starts working too! Only ever dealt with mild colic before, so have no useful advice!!!

Hope that all will be ok and when I log in, in the morning it will be good news!

Allykat

Visit site
Just to ech the thougts of everyone else..grrrrrr how can she do that grrrrrrr

Fingers crossed for the poor horse and a huge hug to you.

ps...i'd never heard of the boxing trick or the coffee so thank you all
smile.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have been told to drench with liquid parafin and to put epsom salts in bran mash,with plenty of molasses, in the past and it has worked with compactions. Hope he pulls through and good luck with him. I would tell the owner to b***** off and find another yard for the other two!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thanks both. If he pulls through tonight I will give him a day and then try empsom salts etc. Cant believe how helpful and supportive everyone is. Going out at 12. Will let everyone know how Monty boy is in morning. xxxxx

Enfys

Visit site
Just got on here and read this, Best of Luck and I'm thinking of you both. I'm generally back on here by 1.30am your time if you need a shoulder.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PUT THE HORSE IN THE LORRY AND DRIVE IT ROUND THE BUMPIEST FIELD YOU CAN FIND, GIVING THE HORSE A FAIRLY ROCKY RIDE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE THE ADVICE - it is believed a trip in the trailer makes horses fart. We had so many horses called in that were down and rolling, and when they arrived they looked great!!!

I personally would not give the horse anything - starve him for 24 hours, let his system clean itself out. Horses are not very clever it will go in cycles, they are sick, fell a bit better, eat, that makes them feel sick again....

PuddingandElla

Visit site
Just been reading this - how is he??? I so hope he pulled though for you.
I have never had a horse with colic but will keep in mind all the good ideas!!
Fingers crossed it is okay with you now.

GTs

Visit site
I just want to clarify a few things about the trailer rides for a colicing horse (especially for novice owners):

Firstly it does not replace getting out the vet. The number one reason I saw hospital fees go from $2,000 to $10,000 was because people did not seek veterinary advice early enough.

By loading your sick horse into the trailer you run the risk of stressing him/her out, and you also run the risk of having a sick horse down in the trailer - if you have the later you are certainly off to the hospital, could well be more injured upon arriving.

You do not need to drive rough - no one knows exactly what it is about travelling that seems to allow the horse to pass gas, but it was the same for horses that were rushed over in a 2 horse bumper pull, or one of Bob Hubberds 18 wheelers. By driving rough, you increase the risk of the horse going down, and having subsiquent injuries.

A trailer ride is not going to cure a surgical colic - the reality is if your horse needs surgery, only surgery will cure it. If your horse is better from a trailer ride, it was a long way from needing surgery. Gas is very painful and is very deseving.

Also know is a good time to share - oil (which vets often give a colicing horse) does not help the blockage pass, it is the water that is in there helps rehydrate them. What purpose does oil serve mainly customer satisfaction, owners have known about it for so long they expect it, and do not believe it is not helpful, and secondly it acts as a marker for how quickly the digestive system is working - you should expect icky legs in 24-48 hours.

jac47

Visit site
our boy had colic last October and I drove him to the dick vet he had 10 feet taken out of his small intestine and is still here today. It cost over 4 thousand but was worth it. Not many horses survive this as they can have more problems when they come home. Mine had colic 5 times when I got him back and had to be box rested for 3 months with only walking out for 10 minutes each day. People dont realise how much work is involved in the recovery it is very wearing on you and the horse one minute they are fine and the next they are rolling about in pain. The wound its self is very large and can get infected or they can have adhesions and that can be a killer. They need round the clock care but there can be light at the end of the tunnel. Willian Funnel's horse mandarin had a twisted gut last December and went on to win the hickstead derby. GOOD lUCK

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Good Morning everyone. Just got in and, having read all your lovely posts im filling up again (tut). Monty is bright as a button at the moment. Vet has just checked him again, pulse is 38 (was 60 last night), gut activity normal. Vet couldnt believe he is still with us as she was sure it was twisted gut - when she cyphoned water down nasal pasage there was stomach fluid coming back, which isnt good. He has had lots of cuddles, best haylage and drunk lots of water. His owner rang at 10.30am to see if I would put one of her other horses out cos she was taking kids to the fair. She didnt ask how Monty was. Soooo ... when she arrives I will ask her to sign him over to me and we will go from there.
You really are such a fabulous lot - I would like to thank you all personally for your help, tips, advice and hope. Think it must have been all your good vibes which helped him through.
Helen x

Billie

community.webshots.com
Thank god! I'm so glad he pulled through, what a trooper!

I suggest you get her to sign him over to you and then tell her to get the f**k off your yard!

Well done you!
smile.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
good morning!! well done for holding up the fort!! Whilst this selfish woman leaves you doing all her dirty work.

Get her to sign him over to you, then tell her to get off your yard, thats appalling behaviour! Kids come first yes, I have a 7 year old but sometimes in cases such as this they have to wait another day!!!

Tad worrying bout fluid......let us know how neddy is later today.......

xx hugs xx