Colic as we speak

Sparklet

Visit site
Kids will probably end up being just as selfish.

Would make sure she picks up cost of treatment so far too - but agree with signing over and kicking her off.

JadeWisc

Visit site
I agree. Get that woman out of your yard asap! I do not mean to sound harsh, but an uncaring heartless person like that is a liability. Not to mention bad company to have around. I am just sorry that she is a mother too.
mad.gif

I am so happy to hear the horse is ok. I read all the posts last night and was dreading checking back this morning to see the outcome. It is truly wonderful news. The good that hopefully comes from this trauma is that the horse is now in better and loving hands
smile.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
if you dont want the confrontation, put it in writing and give it to her, ask for it back in writing (any agreement re neddy that is!) and say that you are too angry right now to speak, job done!

Or ring her dad, he does as he is told lol!!

Hope neddy is doing ok, probably feels better already just having a caring person around him, poor thing!!

I know not everyone can afford colic surgery but to just be able to part with a horse like a piece of clothing is bizarre and heartless.....

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
our boy had colic last October and I drove him to the dick vet he had 10 feet taken out of his small intestine and is still here today. It cost over 4 thousand but was worth it. Not many horses survive this as they can have more problems when they come home

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the success rate is 75% for this procedure - why? Because with the necrotic tissue the horse is ingesting toxins which make it more on top of the sickness, the surgery, etc.

If he is reflexing I would not be feeding him - he does not need to eat, it is not going to help him get better, and really will just make things worse.

SSM

Visit site
I am completley gobsmacked that she did not ask after her horse - we are complete strangers and have been worrying ourselves silly. Think you are better off without her on your yard.

PS So glad to hear he is progressing!

Enfys

Visit site
Really pleased to hear that the horse is brighter this morning, here's hoping for a full and swift recovery.

Even if she does agree to sign him over to you, which sounds very much the best for him, get it in writing that the Vet's bills are hers!

Keep us up to date please.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thank you all. I agree with you GT, he hasnt had hard feed since he came here so im not going to start until I know he is out of the woods completely. Actually, errrrm, you're all gonna think im a total tit, but in August she asked if she could bring a foal here that she had been offered cos its dam was being shot the following day and going to kennels (Section A off mountain). When the colt arrived, she said it was 12 weeks old and the dam was being destroyed by breeder due to her weight loss. I told her that the foal (straight off dam) would need bottle feeding every three hours. She burst into tears and said 'he's yours, do what you want with him'. She wouldnt tell us where the dam was, but we have police officer on yard - after bit of detective work we traced the dam and managed to get the farmer to sign her over to us. The vet came out following morning just in time to save her life (dangerously low temp, 3 pnt drip etc). Vet said second worse case she had seen of neglect. Backbone pertruding by half inch. Anyway, mare and foal cost me £550 in vets bills, but well worth it. So peeps, maybe im the fool here, but for little Bonnie to sing to me each time she sees me is worth much more than that. I will take photos of her and foal, and of course Monty and see if I can post them for you all to see.
Helen x

Dogbetty141

Visit site
That is wonderful news that he is doing ok glad to hear and tell that woman( I am trying to not write lots of swear words on here) to bu***r off for good. It is also good to see that there are still kind hearted people around like you Llwyncwn. I think this woman needs investigating seriously.

GTs

Visit site
It is not just hard feed - when we had anything in the hospital it was muzzled (no hay, access to water only) for normally 24 hours, and I have seen them go a number of days without food. It is not what you feed them, but the fact there GI track is not working properly so why do not you want to pour stuff in there, when it is already struggling.

S_N

Visit site
Ohhh that's fanblinkintasmagorical news!!!! He is just SUCH a lucky horse to have you as his YO!! I am astounded at the callousness of this woman! IMO you should def. give her a time limit to be off your yard! You don't need stress and hassles like this in your life! Huggles hun!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
T!t? No, you have just gone up even more in my estimation and there wasn't much further to go!

Don't suppose she'd sign ponio over as well, then they can go away for ever and not be a blight on the proper horse owning population?!

Still crossing me fingers n toes.......

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
God she shouldn't be allowed within 100yrds of any horse. Get him signed over quick and then ask her to leave, before she dumps anymore on you.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I hope that he pulls through and you are the proud owner of a nice 20 year old horse. No need to retire him - keep him on bute and let him have a gentle hack each day - far better for him.

One other word of advice. I have found in my many years of owning horses that it is important to worm elderly horses at least every 6 - 8 weeks. Worms are in many cases the cause of colic.

Once a horse gets to it's 20's it is in most cases kinder to put them down than send them off for an operation because of the risks in the recovery stages and that they could have another colic attack in the future.

I would also insist that if this owner continues to keep horses at your yard that she must have insurance especially third party/public liability/

KJJ

Visit site
Just seen this... what a VERY VERY lucky boy to have you as his YO - NOW new owner!! (We are your witnesses!! - that bi*tch is NOT having him back!!
mad.gif
)

Well done you - I don't think we have 'spoken' on here before but it's people like you (and many others on here) that save horses..
grin.gif

K xx

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Yeay, Ive got 3 fans. Never had a fan before! Have just spoken to owner and insisted she comes up tonight and signs him over before she goes to Lapland at 2am. Afraid I used a little poetic licence and said that he wasnt out of woods yet and he could well have further bouts of colic. If that was the case, she would have to foot the bill for whatever outcome. Just been told by one of the liveries that she has been moaning about a note I put on board re state of yard etc. Thinks she pays me enough to wipe her bum too. Therefore im gonna be cute and get her to sign little man over before I ask for an explanation. THEN she can sling her hook. She also recons that what she pays me (£15 diy) plus services, she could get full livery - lmao. Have gone from a blubbering wreck to wanting to punch her **** lights out. Hx

ruscara

Visit site
I have just read all of this, and just want to say: Well done you!
I am full of admiration for you and what you have done and were prepared to do. As the others have said, get the horse signed over to you, and then get rid of the livery. She does not deserve horses.
mad.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Oh dear! What have we done to you?
shocked.gif
grin.gif
Methinks this terrible woman is in for a bit of a shock. Hope she has her tin hat on when she comes to see you next! *whispers* I take it Monty is on the way to recovery.....

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Ha. Ill be very tactful with her and just ask why she has nasty things to say to others when ive done my utmost to keep them off her back for months. Just checked on Monty and he is nibbling away at his hay. She hasnt mucked any of her 3 out today (2 on box rest). Haylage just thrown over the door (equivalent of 5 nets worth). They are all on service with me tomorrow and Sunday ... Oh lucky me x

Pidge

Visit site
Just read the update and phew am so glad he is still here. You are one lovely lady to do what you did, and I hope once he's signed over to you that she goes off your yard ASAP - nasty nasty woman, how on earth does she sleep at night? Can't believe she didn't even ask how he was GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Allykat

Visit site
Ooh good glad to hear he is dong well.

Good on you for sticking by him and making sure he is signed over to you will be the best thing in his life right now.

I like her to go and find full livery for that price ha ha ha
grin.gif