Colic / medical emergency planning

Sheep

Visit site
Hi everyone

It has been post overload from me the past few days... thanks again for all your help & support. It really means a lot.

I just wanted to remind everyone to please, please think ahead about their individual horses and consider what level of medical intervention would be appropriate for them, in an emergency. Thankfully my OH and I had discussed this beforehand for each of our horses; we spoke about it again on Friday night, even when the colic seemed relatively mild. We made sure we were both on the same page in terms of what action we would take, if worst came to worst.

Please trust your instincts and if you feel something is amiss, ring your vet. Our younger lad had a very mild colic at the end of last summer but presented in a very similar way to how our Coop was on Friday night. Thankfully for him he was 100% within hours; Cooper was not so lucky.

Colic is very, very frightening but most cases can be resolved easily. Please also remember that suspected laminitis is a medical emergency.

As horse owners and lovers, I know we all know this already. But if something good can come of Cooper’s death, it would be that another horse owner who maybe hadn’t thought of this before, has the opportunity to take time to have their plans in place, so that they might be spared some additional stress of decision-making while under the awful pressure and emotion of an emergency situation.

Edited to add, it is also worth making sure your YO or a trusted friend know your wishes, in the case that you are not available for whatever reason. In my situation, my OH (who was her owner) had been working overseas, it was just ‘lucky’ that he was home this weekend.

Thanks everyone again. You have all been brilliant x

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Excellent post. Myself and my husband have discussed this at length. We know our horses and colic surgery would not be something I would be prepared to put any of them through for one reason or another. Myself and my husband also trust each other to make the difficult decision if the other isn't there, as we are both on the same page entirely.
It's so important to have these plans in place so that in an emergency you already know what decisions you will make if the worst comes to it.

Sheep again I'm so sorry about your beautiful Coop. Hope you are looking after yourself. Sending a massive virtual hug xx

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sorry for your loss. Some very good points, there. I'm not sure what the plans would be for any of the other liveries on our yard, so will make a point of finding out.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sorry for your loss OP.

There is another "PTS" post running on this forum at the moment; a very sad situation and one where the owner perhaps wasn't fully aware of the procedure and protocols involved.

I'm a YO and recently had to stay up all night with one of ours who had colicked earlier in the evening; yes I know I'm a darned fool and should've let the owner have that privilege but its what I would have done for one of my own and owner is a key-worker (NHS) and needed their sleep.

Yes important to recognise laminitis too as a "medical emergency" - because it is; the horse referred to in the paragraph above (mare) had recently moved to my yard and had been lying down a lot earlier in the day, and a mean a LOT. Having had one with lammi in the past I immediately contacted the owner (who hasn't dealt with either colic or lammi before) and I think she thought I was being paranoid. The mare then colicked later in the day, however the symptoms were not classic symptoms and were hard to spot for anyone who hasn't dealt with colic before, whereas my mare when she colicked a couple of years back was classic i.e. rolling, sweating, stressy etc. Anyway Vet came straight out and immediately treated for colic (rectal & tube) so I was glad I'd insisted the owner contact the vet asap.

Important also to consider choices i.e. methods of euthanasia; one of my mares is terrified of needles and goes ballistic if she even suspects anyone has one on them, so for her it would be unkind to inject her therefore kennels or knackerman (done at home) will be the choice. For my other mare (pony), it would be vet/lethal injection.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Sorry for your loss OP.

There is another "PTS" post running on this forum at the moment; a very sad situation and one where the owner perhaps wasn't fully aware of the procedure and protocols involved.

I'm a YO and recently had to stay up all night with one of ours who had colicked earlier in the evening; yes I know I'm a darned fool and should've let the owner have that privilege but its what I would have done for one of my own and owner is a key-worker (NHS) and needed their sleep.

Yes important to recognise laminitis too as a "medical emergency" - because it is; the horse referred to in the paragraph above (mare) had recently moved to my yard and had been lying down a lot earlier in the day, and a mean a LOT. Having had one with lammi in the past I immediately contacted the owner (who hasn't dealt with either colic or lammi before) and I think she thought I was being paranoid. The mare then colicked later in the day, however the symptoms were not classic symptoms and were hard to spot for anyone who hasn't dealt with colic before, whereas my mare when she colicked a couple of years back was classic i.e. rolling, sweating, stressy etc. Anyway Vet came straight out and immediately treated for colic (rectal & tube) so I was glad I'd insisted the owner contact the vet asap.

Important also to consider choices i.e. methods of euthanasia; one of my mares is terrified of needles and goes ballistic if she even suspects anyone has one on them, so for her it would be unkind to inject her therefore kennels or knackerman (done at home) will be the choice. For my other mare (pony), it would be vet/lethal injection.

You sound like a wonderful caring YO.

Also to draw on your last point I completely agree having a pts method plan in place (although this may obviously change in an emergency). I personally would want mine sedated first and then done with an injection. I would be able to be there with them and it's a preferred method for me. However all mine are comfortable with vets/needles.
In an emergency however, if the situation called for it and I couldn't reach my vet, I wouldn't hesitate a call to my local hunt (their kennels are just up the road from our yard) to come and dispatch them.

I see a lot of people agonising over which method is best. Ultimately the end result is the same. What it comes down to is what method best suits your horse, yourself, and the situation (whether it is a planned pts or an emergency). It's not a nice thought but its so so important to think about these things with a clear head, and not have to decide in the midst of an emergency situation.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mum and I have had a fair few discussions about what should be done and who would be doing it and for F what things would mean immediate PTS.
C's colic escalated to the point that there wasn't any decision to make. I actually wasn't sure any of the current vets at our practice could shoot after the retirement of the main partner but the one who just happened to be on call could. But having the fallen stock lady's number close to hand meant she could be removed fairly quickly given our location.

Birker2020

Visit site
OP firstly so sorry for your loss.

I've finally run out of funds after 17 years (Covid has brought most of us to our knees) so I will PTS whatever and whenever the horse cannot stay sound on the current treatment of Arthramid or 2 bute a day. I'd possibly treat for a splenic entrapment a third time if it happened and anything simple like an abscess but anything like a tooth removal that necessitated spending hundreds on then I would have to PTS, sad as it is. I've been nurse maid for the past five years, almost continually and I'm truly fed up by it all, although I've learnt such a lot along the way.

People have said there is no shame in calling it a day, I've done my very best by my horse and everyone who knows us and what we have been through understand that, but there comes a point when money becomes an issue alongside my own sanity. Most people at the yard know my wishes on method of euthanasia based on my past experiences losing horses and this is only really relevant to the YO if I can't be contacted anyway.

I intend to be with my horse at the end, there is no where I would rather be than to support. I am dreading the day it happens, I would like to do the deed as soon as I've made up my mind, there will be no washing mane and tail or plaiting or taking for a walk for me although I appreciate it might help some.

When I had to hold my previous horse whilst he was sedated whilst the Consultant drew up his team around him (teaching hospital) I just wanted to get on with it, they must have thought I was very hard hearted but its just my way of dealing with it. I think when the decision has been made for me, it has to be done there and then to give no chance to back out.

I don't think I will find it as hard as I have always dreaded with my present horse to let go. When you have lost a very beloved parent, there is nothing that comes remotely close. Also the fact that I've had some brilliant years and a lot of fun with my present horse, who will go out with a smile and not tears, remembering those special times.

Last edited:

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I agree I have already decided my plan if the day comes, both ponies will not be put through surgery, one for age and the other because she just would not cope with the aftercare and as a result I have adjusted my insurance and feel happy with my decision.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sheep, very well put.

As a YO I have specifically asked in the past when any new livery came in, I'd rather have as much info as possible in the case I might not get hold of them, rather than 2nd guessing.

Each and every time i go away, I message my vets to confirm any instructions inc pts, also who is caring for fuzzies. I detail the vet to make final decision and not paid groom/friend etc, the vets know my wishes.

Birker2020

Visit site
I see a lot of people agonising over which method is best. Ultimately the end result is the same.
Whilst I agree that the end result is the same, getting there is not always guaranteed to be quite the same.

I think that's why people agonise, because they've been let down before, or have heard stories from friends of their bad experiences. Sadly, its not always so cut and dry.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sheep, very well put.

As a YO I have specifically asked in the past when any new livery came in, I'd rather have as much info as possible in the case I might not get hold of them, rather than 2nd guessing.

Each and every time i go away, I message my vets to confirm any instructions inc pts, also who is caring for fuzzies. I detail the vet to make final decision and not paid groom/friend etc, the vets know my wishes.
That's what my y.o used to ask.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Sorry for your loss op when bought my horse a few months later my horse coliced and you won’t think he had it . Not the normal symptoms. I stupidly didn’t have a plan he was lucky though.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Whilst I agree that the end result is the same, getting there is not always guaranteed to be quite the same.

I think that's why people agonise, because they've been let down before, or have heard stories from friends of their bad experiences. Sadly, its not always so cut and dry.

I do understand it's not that simple, but the point i was trying to make is that, ultimately neither method is right or wrong. It's the owners decision which method is best suited to their horse.

I've heard my fair share of horror stories about both methods. It's an awful situation when things go wrong but I take comfort from the fact that the vast majority of pts done by experienced professionals is usually very straight forward and the horse knows nothing.

SEL

Visit site
I've been very clear with the vets that neither of my big horses will have any surgical intervention - mainly because my YO is not very good at Difficult Decisions.

I was actually thinking the other night that our yard is currently quite tricky to find a location to actually PTS since they built new houses on 2 sides and diverted a footpath practically next to the stable.

Gamebird

Visit site
I would add - have an emergency transport plan. So often as a vet I need to refer horses to hospital - not just for colic surgery, but for emergency but non life-threatening things such as a serious wound. The owners want the horse to be treated and have had the foresight to either have funds in place, or have insurance. However they either don't have their own transport, or their own transport is out of action (lorry awaiting plating, tow car in the garage etc. etc.). Vital hours can be wasted trying to beg, borrow or hire transport. have a plan! Whether that be your own, a friend, or a number of a couple of local 24/7 transporters. It can be a very difficult thing to sort out at 1am unless you've thought about it in advance.

Sealine

Visit site
So sorry for your loss but you make some really good points.

There is also the need to consider the owners requests if you have a horse on loan. Recently a friend's elderly long term loan horse was put down due to colic. Within an hour of the vet arriving he advised surgery. She chose PTS and she made the right decision, but she had the added stress of contacting the owner who luckily agreed with the decision. A conversation best had between loaner and owner sooner rather than in an emergency.

I've made it clear to all the other liveries that, in an emergency day or night I'll help anyone. Whether they need transport or even if they just want someone to go with them to provide support I'll always help.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would add - have an emergency transport plan. So often as a vet I need to refer horses to hospital - not just for colic surgery, but for emergency but non life-threatening things such as a serious wound. The owners want the horse to be treated and have had the foresight to either have funds in place, or have insurance. However they either don't have their own transport, or their own transport is out of action (lorry awaiting plating, tow car in the garage etc. etc.). Vital hours can be wasted trying to beg, borrow or hire transport. have a plan! Whether that be your own, a friend, or a number of a couple of local 24/7 transporters. It can be a very difficult thing to sort out at 1am unless you've thought about it in advance.
Very sound advice.
A few years ago I chucked my box keys at next door neighbours husband, they had a bad day with the fjord who might have got sycamore poisoning. In the end he improved mid evening but they stayed the night at their yard to monitor. Box not needed but did make them think about future etc, so arranged with another friend to have a trailer use in emergency if I wasnt about.

In our area we are fortunate that a few of the box companies offer emergency out of hours transport (but this can waste time in phoning about). One big vets have have a horse ambulance, but the main big vet clinic isnt an easy drive.
Def good to plan ?

blitznbobs

Visit site
whilst I agree with this, once in the situation, it might not help that much. I have always said I wouldn't put a horse thru colic surgery but when my 5 year old ISH went down with surgical colic 2 years ago , I was talked into surgery by 3 different vets. He is now a healthy happy horse... if the laziest being on the face of the earth!

its a difficult position to be in and having a plan is useful but be prepared to feel differently when in the situation.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss OP

There's no way I would put mine through colic surgery, he's 22, and neurotic, doesn't load and wouldn't cope with the hospitalisation and all the treatment. I'd forever be concerned it would reoccur too.

YO and my mum (who helps me with him) have a signed letter from me, expressing my wishes that if non surgical intervention methods fail, I want him pts via lethal injection, and group cremation, no ashes.

That way if I'm somewhere uncontactable, they know my wishes for treatment, disposal method and method of pts

Michen

Visit site
whilst I agree with this, once in the situation, it might not help that much. I have always said I wouldn't put a horse thru colic surgery but when my 5 year old ISH went down with surgical colic 2 years ago , I was talked into surgery by 3 different vets. He is now a healthy happy horse... if the laziest being on the face of the earth!

its a difficult position to be in and having a plan is useful but be prepared to feel differently when in the situation.

Exactly this. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind, either way.

It's one thing making plans and thinking you know what you'd 100% do, it's another when the situation actually happens and the choice is in front of you.

paddy555

Visit site
It's one thing making plans and thinking you know what you'd 100% do, it's another when the situation actually happens and the choice is in front of you.

I could have been in that position. Horse appeared to have colic and was taken to horse hospital as we were getting nowhere, No operation was needed, he stayed in for a few days and I very much doubt if he even had colic (but that is another story.

If the vet had said to me in the stable, colic, do you want to operate I would probably have said no even though he was a young horse. When he was at horse hospital if they had rung and said an operation was needed or PTS what would I have done.? he was already there, they would either be sedating him to PTS or sedating him to operate on. He wouldn't know the difference and would basically have been out of it.

There are risks getting up from surgery, risks re recovery. If there was too much damage PTS would have been on the table.
Question is if the horse is already there would you change your mind from no colic operation.

as you say you have your plans in place and then something can come along and mess them up and there are different criteria for your choices. :oops:

Michen

Visit site
I do think that a post on any horsey local group would get you transport in an emergency. I can't imagine that people wouldn't respond even to a stranger, horsey folk are generally willing to help eachother out.

I did once do a 100 mile round trip for an aquaintence with very little gratitude but it wouldn't entirely put me off helping someone completely unknown again.

Still, not nice to have to worry.

Gamebird

Visit site
In normal circumstances, I agree. But you just can't rely on good samaritans seeing and responding to a social media post at 1am when the horse needs to be loaded right now while the painkillers/sedation are still doing their job.

Sheep

Visit site
Ahh folks I hope the intention of my post hasn’t been lost. It is just to make sure people have at least given what they may or may not do, some thought, in the event of an emergency. Of course things might change, that’s only natural.

However, I am very glad that I had thought about this all before what happened at the weekend x

Sheep

Visit site
In normal circumstances, I agree. But you just can't rely on good samaritans seeing and responding to a social media post at 1am when the horse needs to be loaded right now while the painkillers/sedation are still doing their job.

Absolutely and this could have been us, our girl deteriorated hugely in the small hours of the night. Thankfully we have transport, but we didn’t this time last year, and I hadn’t considered its value in the context of veterinary emergencies.

Michen

Visit site

I am not suggesting anyone relies on it. I just mean if anyone was ever really stuck ie transport not working, back up awol.. I’d like to think the horsey community would help.